v3 build 823 - High Battery Consumption

tdas777
Message added by maxmp

Before posting here, please try the following:

Update to build 853+
It has a fix for the playlist related drain.

Settings / Look and Feel / Player UI / Chromecast Button - Disable (Poweramp will restart)
This helps with some un-updated/failing Play services libraries being loaded into Poweramp and increasing battery usage.

Settings / Library / Scanner / Auto-scan - Disable
This helps with some apps constantly/frequently sending file system change event causing Poweramp to rescan frequently and increasing battery usage.

@maxmp my point is that you might get different results with real-world usage where you interact with the app compared to just letting it play untouched overnight.

I definitely had much, much higher drain than normal, with the phone getting hot. I had previously downgraded to 820 to avoid the problem, but I installed 823 again, disabled the Chromecast button in the UI settings, restarted my phone, and will report back if that has any impact.

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@akb825 I use S10+ as daily driver and no issues so far (obviously I polish everything I find). For your case with large lib (though, 18gb is not so much), sd card re-mount and some system level actions may trigger media rescan by system scanner (slow) and following Poweramp rescanning (fast). If you notice frequent progress in Poweramp Library headers, you may want to disable Auto Scan in Poweramp Settings / Library / Scanner, though, system level scanner still will consume battery. But that's theoretical. Poweramp scanner is the fastest and the most optimized media scanner on Android.

Please post your battery stats screenshot.

@maxmp it didn't take long for the battery drain to happen, even after disabling Chromecast support and restarting my phone. I have attached a screenshot of the battery usage over a ~2.5 hour period after updating back to the latest version.

After restarting my phone it was at about 95% battery remaining. I listened to music for ~30 minutes after rebooting, which you can see with the first slight drop in battery. I believe the drain was more or less normal during this period. I think didn't listen to music for a while, which you can see with the flat line where there was next to no battery usage. Afterward I listened to music for another 40 or so minutes as I finished up at work, then another 20 minutes on my drive home. (it was playing through an aux cable in the car) During this time the battery drained very fast, as the graph shows, and the phone was hot. After getting home, I went for a 30 minute walk, during which I did not listen to music or use my phone at all. (apart from a couple glances to see the state of the battery) The phone was still hot at first, though it did eventually cool down. While the battery usage was less than the massive drain earlier, it continued to drain batter even when not otherwise in use, as compared to the flat line earlier when it had entered deep sleep. Based on the slope of the graph, the drain when not in use during my walk was even greater than the normal drain when it had normal drain during playback earlier.

While the battery usage shows 11% for Poweramp and 1% from Google Play services, since it started at about 95% the total drain was closer to 20%. For reference, during a typical day it will start at 100% in the morning, and between listening to music throughout the day (maybe ~6 hours total playtime) and other light usage I will be ~80% remaining when I get home without any charging in-between.

Based on this, I think we can rule out the Chromecast integration as the culprit. I do not see constant progress bars in the library, and my library is on internal storage (I don't even have an SD card slot on my phone), so I don't think re-scanning is the problem either.

Screenshot_20190425-201733.jpg

Hello,

Adding my case if battery drain from Poweramp since a few days after an update. I have a Oneplus One running on Android 8.1/ CarbonROM. I'm listening to music with a wired headset, screen off, Chromecast option disabled in the settings.
The ROM isn't at fault since I've been using it for a long time. 

Also sometimes the headset physical buttons aren't working properly and I have to wake the device and go into the Poweramp screen for controls to work again. Not sure if it's related to the issue, and not sure either if Oreo's battery optimizations are at fault.

Here's a screen of the app's battery drain for about 20 minutes of usage

Screenshot_AccuBattery_20190426-100450.png

1 hour ago, maxmp said:

@Echoffee screen off (background)=2.5, seems ok. Certainly not a drain.

That's average usage over the last week. The current usage (on the top of the screenshot) is 4.2%, which according to his post was over the course of 20 minutes. That sounds like an incredible amount if drain.

@akb825 it's higher than normal, but it can be due to background scanning or other short-living higher consuming processing. This topic is about drain issue which makes device hot. To the moment, none of the reports confirmed, but theoretically there can be issues related to google play services integrated in Poweramp around build 821 (though these are specific to old Chromecast in local network).

So I've been noticing high battery consumption and a warm device with Poweramp too. I've noticed that on my phone that if you play a few songs then pause the music and let it sit in the back ground the CPU will hit max frequency on the little cores. Play some music again and the big cores will jump to max frequency and the little cores settle down. Pause and it goes back the other way. Swipe Poweramp out of the recents list and CPU frequencies go back to normal.

Chromecast button is disabled on my setup. I'm running a OnePlus 5 on LineageOS 16. Bluetooth and WiFi on or off doesn't matter seems to happen either way. 

Poweramp itself does nothing when paused and not scanning. We just don’t have any code to do anything, so that’s not a Poweramp issue alone. Build-821+ integrates google services to support Chromecast, this can have own life and have known issues with old chromecasts + may have issues when custom Google services packs are installed, but you can disable chromecast button in Poweramp Player UI settings (Poweramp process kill or phone reboot is then needed).

Also, post your battery consumption screenshot (half of these posted here do not indicate any increased power usage).

On 4/28/2019 at 1:37 PM, maxmp said:

Poweramp itself does nothing when paused and not scanning. We just don’t have any code to do anything, so that’s not a Poweramp issue alone. Build-821+ integrates google services to support Chromecast, this can have own life and have known issues with old chromecasts + may have issues when custom Google services packs are installed, but you can disable chromecast button in Poweramp Player UI settings (Poweramp process kill or phone reboot is then needed).

Also, post your battery consumption screenshot (half of these posted here do not indicate any increased power usage).

I'm gonna level with you here. My battery consumption doesn't show increased usuage by Poweramp. But would you agree that force closing Poweramp and the watching CPU frequencies go down or noticing better battery life would make you think the same thing a lot of people here (assuming you are in the mindset of an end user)?

Plus disabling the Chromecast button doesn't work either. There's still increased CPU usuage even after disabling. The same thing still happens. I even tried clean flashing my ROM. Still happens.

I'm gonna try rolling back to build 820 to see if anything changes.

@maxmp I haven't got my headphones today, so can't test.. I use Poweramp mainly to get "in the zone" when working. But I'm confident that everytime I get the issue I have been in an office environment where I run Poweramp with the screen off, pausing and resuming songs using inline controls when interrupted. Occasionally, when grabbing a coffee, I'll pause by yanking the cable and resume by plugging it back in.

I'm fairly certain that it always takes a few interruptions before the problem starts 

Hi Guys,

Some further testing from me, I have not had the issue once since disabling my Samsung S9's "Always on Display" lock screen feature. I've used it all weekend and today without the issue. Will keep you informed, but perhaps try this if you have the issue on a device with an lock screen display mode?

Moho

I have the problem on my Note 9.  Noticed something wrong, so I spent half a day with Poweramp force stopped.  Used less than five percent of my available battery.  Turned on Poweramp, and listened to some music, and it was reading that Poweramp used about 15% of my available battery after around three hours.  That seems like alot, and is certainly more than it used to use.  

I am not an engineer, so I don't know what the significance of @maxmp 's description of not being able to reproduce the problem means.  Whatever people are experiencing is a real issue and worth investigating.  Something must have changed in one of the last few updates to cause such a large increase in battery use.  

11 minutes ago, Moho Miner said:

Hi Guys,

Some further testing from me, I have not had the issue once since disabling my Samsung S9's "Always on Display" lock screen feature. I've used it all weekend and today without the issue. Will keep you informed, but perhaps try this if you have the issue on a device with an lock screen display mode?

Moho

I'll try this. Maybe just turning off the "show music information" facewidgets thing is enough? I'm turning off the facewdigets thing too, Poweramp's notification menu is more than enough

14 minutes ago, Moho Miner said:

Hi Guys,

Moho

I have ambient display, it's always disabled. I still had the issue back on the latest version of Poweramp.

Its a joke that this is flagged as not reproducible, clearly a large amount of people are having this problem.

My S9+ Exynos is getting 60% drain from Poweramp with the screen off, blah bla blah. I know I only gave you $5 but at least be honest and admit that this is a bug. For now I am going to use something else, let me know if you fix your very shitty bug

23 hours ago, Moho Miner said:

Hi Guys,

Moho

23 hours ago, WiGgLr said:

I'll try this. Maybe just turning off the "show music information" facewidgets thing is enough? I'm turning off the facewdigets thing too, Poweramp's notification menu is more than enough

So far, so good, haven't seen the issue today and Poweramp is 4 or 5 apps down the list of battery use

31 minutes ago, BebopLifa said:

Its a joke that this is flagged as not reproducible, clearly a large amount of people are having this problem.

"Reproducible" would mean that we know how to reproduce it. But we don't, so it's NOT reproducible.

1 hour ago, BebopLifa said:

You can see the problem on your phone, and there are some others can see the problem, but the app dev has so far been unable to replicate it on any of his test devices. If he can't actually reproduce the problem, he obviously can't fix it either.

If you'd like to take your phone to Max so he can see the issue, I'm sure that would help in resolving it. Providing some actual debug logging information, letting him know how/when it occurs, and any other apps you have running on your device, etc. might help too.

Andre

Hello again,

Sorry about my previous post, you're right, the data I posted was wrong, but the battery really took a hit before recharge.

However, I encountered this morning a case where Poweramp bugged out or something and no audio were played for a moment, the progress bar wasn't moving at all on the main screen, the visualization rendering was messed up (as if all frequencies were at 100% or something). Skipping song or Play/Pause/Stop did nothing and I had to force kill PA to make it work again. The same thing happened the day on my previous post, but I thought I just paused the song and didn't checked if it was related or not.

I managed to reproduce this bug just by playing/skipping many tracks on a playlist but I'm not sure on what triggered it (it's not a track in particular). When the bug occurred, the phone was getting a bit hot even with the screen off (not close to burning myself with though) and the battery lost 4-5% within two minutes, with mobile data/wifi OFF and no signifient background app running. Poweramp was not showing as the most hungry app either.

Under "normal" usage thought, the battery usage is okay. 

All of this to say that I'm probably not affected by the same kind of battery drain as those guys, so disregard what I said earlier.

Have a nice day

On 4/30/2019 at 4:01 PM, WiGgLr said:

So far, so good, haven't seen the issue today and Poweramp is 4 or 5 apps down the list of battery use

I've been using Poweramp all week after disabling the "Always on Display", must be 20-30 hours of use now. The issue has not returned once :)

Archived