v3 build 823 - High Battery Consumption

tdas777
Message added by maxmp

Before posting here, please try the following:

Update to build 853+
It has a fix for the playlist related drain.

Settings / Look and Feel / Player UI / Chromecast Button - Disable (Poweramp will restart)
This helps with some un-updated/failing Play services libraries being loaded into Poweramp and increasing battery usage.

Settings / Library / Scanner / Auto-scan - Disable
This helps with some apps constantly/frequently sending file system change event causing Poweramp to rescan frequently and increasing battery usage.

15 hours ago, maxmp said:

@qwqwas1122 Do you have chromecast(s) in your network at work (Poweramp shows cast icon)? Thanks!

No chromecast devices from what I could see.

I also spoke too soon about this only happening at work. Happened again today but this time while travelling home (on mobile data). I left it playing once I got home just to confirm it was actually happening. After about 1:30 hours my phone started complaining about overloaded CPU again (attached a picture this time). I do have a chromecast on the network at home, but I'm pretty sure it was already heating up before I got home.

I also disabled auto-rescanning in the morning, before this happened today.

56706292_562224214264015_572340865054277632_n.thumb.jpg.c560fbe20fa0ab38b9517144218de24c.jpg

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same issue here on a Samsung S9 and Android Pi.

I did notice that my OS had automatically disabled "Poweramp Full Version Unlocker" because of no use, so I re-enabled it. Now it looks like normal drain with Poweramp playing so far, but time will tell.

“18% cpu” is ok for Poweramp. Battery optimizer can’t distinguish Unlocker from Poweramp.

To the moment, no any cases of any raised power usage were reproduced nor reported clearly. Poweramp can play for many hours with very minimal baterry usage, e.g. it’s <1% per hour on devices like S9.

22 hours ago, WiGgLr said:

Same issue here on a Samsung S9 and Android Pi.

I did notice that my OS had automatically disabled "Poweramp Full Version Unlocker" because of no use, so I re-enabled it. Now it looks like normal drain with Poweramp playing so far, but time will tell.

3 hours ago, maxmp said:

“18% cpu” is ok for Poweramp. Battery optimizer can’t distinguish Unlocker from Poweramp.

To the moment, no any cases of any raised power usage were reproduced nor reported clearly. Poweramp can play for many hours with very minimal baterry usage, e.g. it’s <1% per hour on devices like S9.

I also disabled the lock screen options, wake lock and keep service yesterday, maybe they are relevant? I'm still able to hear music with screen off, so I don't think they're needed any more (I'm a long time user, first bought it on the Galaxy S2)

Today Poweramp has had 4% of my battery since last full charge, over approx 4 hrs of use. Yesterday it used 20-30% in 6 hours of use and the phone was a bit hot. The battery stats claim Poweramp is 88% of use in the past week

battery.jpg

5 hours ago, maxmp said:

18% total cpu usage likely means 1 core at 100%. While under normal circumstances cpu usage is low, most likely something is causing high cpu usage when draining the battery. I know the phone gets hot when I experience it, and the battery info shows Poweramp as the cause.

Hey, I have the same issue, using Power Amp kills my battery super quick since i updated the app yesterday. 

My details are the same as someone else had above:

• Poweramp v3 build 823
  • Samsung Galaxy S7
  • Android 8.0.0

I use Poweramp to play music in the gym where I teach fitness classes, so the phone is on flight mode and I connect to the music system via the normal audio cable. 

Usually in 2hrs use it maybe drops 10-15% battery, but it went down from around 90% to 10%, so dropped like 80% battery yesterday and today. 

I have now switched off the rescan, will see if it makes a difference tomorrow.

Attached is the screen shot of today's battery use. Yesterday was similar, but i thought i had my screen on a lot and that's why it dropped so much. Today i had the screen off more time, i think at least.. as the screen doesn't show as big % of battery use as it did yesterday (i think it was around 15%). Strange thing that it shows Poweramp used for 29mins.. it was more like 1hr and 10 minutes. Also the app info shows Poweramp used 91% of the battery since the last charge.

Hope it helps to find a fix! 

Thank you!

Additional note: switching off the folder scan seemed to have solved the problem. But today following in from here I changed the other setting (chromecast button) suggested and my battery went down with 80% again.. might not be connected at all, but i thought i'd mention it.

Thanks for looking into it!

Screenshot_20190410-210732_Settings.jpg

Screenshot_20190405-192305_Settings.jpg

I also have this issue on my Samsung S9 Android 9. Use to work totally fine until a few weeks ago (I guess when 823 was released), now I can't use Poweramp anymore unless my phone is plugged in.

I have disabled the autoscan, this does nothing. The phone gets hot after a short time of usage, just today after 1h6m of play time with the screen off Poweramp has used 31.1% of my battery.

Please fix this soon as I am thinking of finding another player, which is a real shame as I loved Poweramp for years :(

Poweramp is killing my battery life too on my Galaxy S8.  Correction, Google's new OS Android 9.0 Pie is killing my battery life every time I used Poweramp, and I have my screen off.

Just last month, I had a 6 hour car ride from Texas to Louisiana and Android 8.0 Oreo and Poweramp lasted me all 6 hours and I didn't have to charge my phone using the car's built-in charging ports.

But last week, I get a notifications for an update and thinking it was a small update to fix bugs, I hit accept only to find out that my phone had been upgraded to Android 9.0 Pie.

Last week, my phone went down to 4-5% in less than 3 hours while at work while listening to Poweramp with the screen off and this was after my phone had been updated to Android Pie.

There's lots of links on Google about "Android Pie bad battery life", and I've been doing most of their suggestions to get my battery life back up. Turned off adaptive display, turned off wifi, turned off BT, turned off location, turned off Google auto-sync services I didn't need. Stopped any apps other than Poweramp from running in the background, set my seek bar in Poweramp to the "simple seekbar (with Pro Buttons)" in case the waveform display was draining my battery. Turned off the settings in developer settings. Put apps to sleep that I didn't need. Lowered the brightness of my screen. There have been other things in my Android and app settings I followed from Google links, I just can't remember them all at the moment. The visualizer is already turned off in Poweramp too.

I haven't tried turning off auto-rescan in my Poweramp settings yet. I don't have an SD card in my S8, yet (I haven't bought one yet).

Today, after my phone hit 30% after only listening at work for about 4 hours, I plugged my phone into my work PC with my USB cable. It's an old PC with no fast-charging USB ports, and my phone fell from 30% to 17% in about an hour instead of charging up (I also didn't grant my work PC access to my phone, so maybe that caused my phone to not charge? I don't know why it went down and not up while plugged into my work's PC's USB port). I also got the message from Android that Poweramp was overloading my CPU.

I'm also a long-time Poweramp user. Galaxy S2, Galaxy S4, and now Galaxy S8. And Poweramp has never drained my battery like this. I flew from Asia to La, and vice versa with my S2 and my battery life was great (I did charge it a couple of times). So, I'm pretty sure the problem is caused by something Google did wrong with Android Pie. Some of the links talked about "media apps draining the battery after smartphones updated to Android Pie 9.0". I'm contemplating bringing my S4 to work tomorrow just to listen music until Google and Samsung fixes the battery drain issues. My other option is to downgrade back to Android Oreo and lose all of my text messages, and other files on my phone.

What device are you using?

Samsung Galaxy S8 on AT&T

What version of Android?

Android 9 (One UI version is 1.0)

What type of ROM?

Stock Google Android 9.0 Pie & Samsung Touchwiz

What Version of Poweramp?

The newest version. I guess that is Poweramp 2.0.6 from looking on the Google form

What build number?

v3-build-823-play (Full Version)

Android-Pie-Galaxy-S8-PowerAmp-Battery-Usage-1.jpg

Android-Pie-Galaxy-S8-PowerAmp-Battery-Usage-2.jpg

Android-Pie-Galaxy-S8-PowerAmp-Battery-Usage-3.jpg

Android-Pie-Galaxy-S8-PowerAmp-Battery-Usage-4.jpg

I haven't noticed if Poweramp is using too much battery on my new Galaxy S9+.   I updated to Android 9 Pie shortly after getting it.   But when I go into settings or Device Care it keeps telling me Poweramp is using too much battery so i had it fix it one time and then Poweramp kept constantly closing out when using it.   So I had to undo that setting.   I don't know what's going on.   

Done a bit of testing this morning and found something quite odd. If you force stop the com.maxmpz.audioplayer app/service in the battery usage section then load Poweramp and play music, immediately close the cover/lock the screen it appears to run without getting hot and draining the battery.

However, after this if you open the case/unlock and click pause, stop or interact with Poweramp it then starts warming/draining the battery again. You then have to force stop like the above again and start over.

Perhaps something to do with a standby service is causing the issue?

Very strange indeed.

Moho. 

Edit: So it appears that the first action is fine and does not make Poweramp drain the battery, overuse the CPU or get the phone hot, but then all actions after that point (pausing, stopping, skipping track, etc) seem to then send it into this problematic state. At least this is what I have found today.

Hi, can confirm. I'm using redmi note 5 with custom ROM and kernel. I thought that it was because of that. But I checked the draining and noticed that Poweramp is going 100% cpu. Using bt audio and smart watch. 

Syberia 2.4 Android 9

There is a rare scenario when Chromecast support in google services lib (in Poweramp starting from build 821) can go crazy (https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/70411185#comment27). 

Please try to go to Settings / Look and Feel / Player UI / Chromecast Button => Disabled. Poweramp should be restarted after that (when non-playing, throw Poweramp away from tasks).

Please let me know if it helps - as I can't reproduce issue on my devices and can on investigate this indirectly.

Also, if you can capture and PM me Logcat when device in this high battery consumption state - that will be very helpful.

I also noticed high battery usage on my Redmi note 4 (Miui 10.2.3.0) Qualcomm version, I use Poweramp everyday for atleast 3+ hours at night, yesterday night I forgot to turn off Poweramp it plays music whole night today @ 7Am I turned off Poweramp and the battery is at 52% it was fully charged last night. I know my device is almost 2 years old but I still get 1 and a half day of battery life on my daily usage and it also includes almost 3+ hours of Poweramp session. I did not notice any heating battery drainage is definitely increased a lot.

I already disabled of Chromecast since first time it came out, auto scanning is fine it only scans music on first launch & takes a second to complete.

I did export my settings and did clean installation (this includes deleting the Poweramp folder in Android> data) today I'll check again report back.

I have a request I noticed exporting settings is not complete it doesn't include reverberation settings, ratings of milk files is it possible to include them in export file

I followed this guide to discover how to capture a Logcat:

https://www.xda-developers.com/guide-sending-a-logcat-to-help-debug-your-favorite-app/

@maxmp After quite some time of waiting for the drain issue to show up, I finally think I have it happening and should have a log soon. The battery has only just started getting hot after resuming from a 5min pause to go and grab a coffee. I'll let it run for a while so I can be sure that it is draining, then will PM you the file.

It does seem to be linked to start/stopping somehow, either through pausing in app, by headphone cable button, or pulling out the headphone cable. It could be when resuming by plugging the headphones back in, as that was the case this time.

Edit: got it Screenshot_20190410-142753_Settings.thumb.jpg.89e0341097e55257672f5b69f7e77c3a.jpg

@WiGgLr thanks for the help with the investigation

@Prosenjit if you left Poweramp playing over whole night (as I do with the battery testing, actually), it's OK it will be on top of power usage list - as it was active and other apps are not/suspended. The problem we're investigating here is unusually high cpu/battery consumption which makes device hot and is 5% or more per hour.

4 minutes ago, maxmp said:

@maxmp, I sent the zipped Logcat by email to the address registered on Google Play. I couldn't attach a new zip to a PM, and I don't know how sensitive the information in the file could be so didn't attach it here.

On 4/10/2019 at 6:58 PM, maxmp said:

@Prosenjit if you left Poweramp playing over whole night (as I do with the battery testing, actually), it's OK it will be on top of power usage list - as it was active and other apps are not/suspended. The problem we're investigating here is unusually high cpu/battery consumption which makes device hot and is 5% or more per hour.

Thanks for clearing my doubts👍

Archived