v3 build 823 - High Battery Consumption

tdas777
Message added by maxmp

Before posting here, please try the following:

Update to build 853+
It has a fix for the playlist related drain.

Settings / Look and Feel / Player UI / Chromecast Button - Disable (Poweramp will restart)
This helps with some un-updated/failing Play services libraries being loaded into Poweramp and increasing battery usage.

Settings / Library / Scanner / Auto-scan - Disable
This helps with some apps constantly/frequently sending file system change event causing Poweramp to rescan frequently and increasing battery usage.

2 hours ago, maxmp said:

@akb825 per app battery stats don't survive app uninstalling and reinstalling. So these stats are for your last installed Poweramp version. Poweramp can play non stop 24+ hours on modern phones (Airplane mode). But of course it's possible to consume a lot of battery as well as some options/features will use more (large library rescans, visualizations, hi-res output, cover downloading).

This graph is of my battery capacity, so any statistics lost between installs is irrelevant. After installing 843, I did literally nothing on my phone except listen to music for 3 hours while working and it consumed 25%. I then downgraded and listened for another 2 hours while working, doing nothing else on my phone. This accurately shows the difference in power usage between both versions on my phone.

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alas, the update also does not solve my battery drain issue. The workaround I now use is to pause songs via the notification interface so that the notification interface does not disappear. This prevents PA from shutting down and going into the battery draining loop.

I had my tablet go from 100% to 7% in 2 days while plugged in the whole time.   Looking at GSAM it appears the Poweramp was using about 54% of the battery.   I restarted and still no good.   I shut down the tablet and charged it over night and then started it back up and so far so good.  I don't know why it was doing this out of the blue but at least it's fixed for now.  I have used Poweramp for years and years and never had that happen before.   I see this thread and see others having the same issue.   The tablet is a Samsung Galaxy T S 8.4.   Marshmallow is the newest Android it will take.  

On 10/10/2019 at 9:51 PM, Crericper said:

New issue found: causing high CPU load at background without playing any song. (I am listening to music when I took the screenshot but I was not in the last few hours.) Not sure what the reason but as I restarted the app everything works fine. (Might be indexing related or license checking?) 

1570704909740.jpg

Screenshot_2019-10-10-22-00-40-374_nextapp.sp.png

On 10/11/2019 at 9:31 AM, maxmp said:

@Crericper I test each build in normal scenarios on 120 devices over 24 hours - there is no change to battery consumption (one potentially battery consuming issue was actually fixed). Poweramp just have no code which will execute in the background except:

- playback
- scanning (can be triggered by system, but won't happen unless Poweramp is on foreground or playing on Android 8+), if you uploaded some music recently, this is your case.
- chromecast device discovery (won't happen unless Poweramp is on foreground or playing on Android 8+)

For more info see here: 

On 4/10/2019 at 5:16 PM, maxmp said:

There is a rare scenario when Chromecast support in google services lib (in Poweramp starting from build 821) can go crazy (https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/70411185#comment27). 

Please try to go to Settings / Look and Feel / Player UI / Chromecast Button => Disabled. Poweramp should be restarted after that (when non-playing, throw Poweramp away from tasks).

Please let me know if it helps - as I can't reproduce issue on my devices and can on investigate this indirectly.

Also, if you can capture and PM me Logcat when device in this high battery consumption state - that will be very helpful.

My GA is: eric.huang907@gmail.com

My pa base.apk hash is: (MD5) 6c11b80682c6eec95b87a65914ea904a

I think you might be right on targeting the Chromecast button since I've got it enabled as well.  (See latest posts for steps to repoduce.)

On 4/10/2019 at 5:16 PM, maxmp said:

There is a rare scenario when Chromecast support in google services lib (in Poweramp starting from build 821) can go crazy (https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/70411185#comment27). 

Please try to go to Settings / Look and Feel / Player UI / Chromecast Button => Disabled. Poweramp should be restarted after that (when non-playing, throw Poweramp away from tasks).

Please let me know if it helps - as I can't reproduce issue on my devices and can on investigate this indirectly.

Also, if you can capture and PM me Logcat when device in this high battery consumption state - that will be very helpful.

I think you might be right on targeting the Chromecast button cause I've got it enabled as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm writing this with great disappointment, that I think I'll have to stop using Poweramp if I want my battery to survive longer. It feels bad to carry a charger / powerbank everyday to college even after getting a brand new phone 

Today, battery went from 67 to 31 with less than an hour of music playback. With all due respect, I know Max, that the issue isn't reproducible on your end, but that's a very lame response. Isn't there something we can do? Would device logs help? I'm ready to provide anything. 

So many people have this issue, it can't be neglected. My phone gets hot as hell, even hours of playing PUBG doesn't make it so hot. When this happens, I kill Poweramp, and the device is back to normal. 

I'm frustrated and sad while writing this. And I'll be very unhappy using another music player, because Poweramp's audio engine is unmatched! 

I am gonna try using Poweramp V2 and test this with it, just because I want to. I hope I find that apk. 

Peace. 

3 hours ago, krazzyvishal said:

I'm writing this with great disappointment, that I think I'll have to stop using Poweramp if I want my battery to survive longer. It feels bad to carry a charger / powerbank everyday to college even after getting a brand new phone 

Today, battery went from 67 to 31 with less than an hour of music playback. With all due respect, I know Max, that the issue isn't reproducible on your end, but that's a very lame response. Isn't there something we can do? Would device logs help? I'm ready to provide anything. 

So many people have this issue, it can't be neglected. My phone gets hot as hell, even hours of playing PUBG doesn't make it so hot. When this happens, I kill Poweramp, and the device is back to normal. 

I'm frustrated and sad while writing this. And I'll be very unhappy using another music player, because Poweramp's audio engine is unmatched! 

I am gonna try using Poweramp V2 and test this with it, just because I want to. I hope I find that apk. 

Peace. 

Have you tried to turn off the Chromecast button? The issue didn't occured again for me after I've turned off that option. You may scroll up and take a look at my previous posts for more detailed information about this bug. 

EDIT: The issue reappeared. 

2 hours ago, Crericper said:

Have you tried to turn off the Chromecast button? The issue didn't occured again for me after I've turned off that option. You may scroll up and take a look at my previous posts for more detailed information about this bug. 

Yeah, I tried that a long time ago. It only stopped happening for a while, the next day it reappeared. 

36 minutes ago, krazzyvishal said:

Yeah, I tried that a long time ago. It only stopped happening for a while, the next day it reappeared. 

Seems like you are right. The issue reappeared. There must be something wrong with Poweramp. I think it may somehow to do with the sleep timer. Since in the log below on Saturday, at that time I was sleeping. 

20191023120459.jpg

7 hours ago, krazzyvishal said:

Peace. 

i feel your pain, i always have a powerbank nearby and am also willing to help resolve or test this issue as much as possible. while i won't switch away from the app, it's a major flaw that affects me everyday... it seems to occur usually over long time usage. the longer you use the app, the more songs you play, the worse the performance is. i have a lot of apple lossless tracks because i sync from itunes. 

I'd buy the app 10x for this to be fixed, so let me know how i can help!

22 hours ago, andrewevenstar said:

i feel your pain, i always have a powerbank nearby and am also willing to help resolve or test this issue as much as possible. while i won't switch away from the app, it's a major flaw that affects me everyday... it seems to occur usually over long time usage. the longer you use the app, the more songs you play, the worse the performance is. i have a lot of apple lossless tracks because i sync from itunes. 

I'd buy the app 10x for this to be fixed, so let me know how i can help!

Another user here said he experienced this issue only when he played songs from a custom playlist that he created. Since I always use my own playlist, I'm testing this out by playing from the ALL SONGS list. Yesterday, it did seem like the issue disappeared when playing from All Songs. However, I'll test it again tomorrow during commute. You can try the same... 

18 hours ago, krazzyvishal said:

Another user here said he experienced this issue only when he played songs from a custom playlist that he created. Since I always use my own playlist, I'm testing this out by playing from the ALL SONGS list. Yesterday, it did seem like the issue disappeared when playing from All Songs. However, I'll test it again tomorrow during commute. You can try the same... 

Here's an update over that...

I'm impressed! I hope this playlist was the culprit, and now I'm never gonna face it again. 

No heating today, no battery drain, sharing two screenshots, one after the morning commute to college and the second after coming back home. I'm satisfied! Max, could this be the issue? Playlists? 

I'm still not totally convinced though, I'll see if this issue comes back. Thanks @Moho Miner

Screenshot_20191024-193137_Settings.jpg

Screenshot_20191024-074937_Settings.jpg

On 10/25/2019 at 1:23 AM, maxmp said:

Is this file-based playlist (with .m3u(8), .pls, .wpl extension in a name) or just plain user created playlist? Thanks!

For me, I have no file based playlist, but sometimes play songs from Folder. As you've probably thought, I did not encounter this issue on every session. 

3 hours ago, maxmp said:

Is this file-based playlist (with .m3u(8), .pls, .wpl extension in a name) or just plain user created playlist? Thanks!

For what it's worth, I exclusively use file-based playlists and consistently experience the battery drain with newer versions. I've seen it with both large and small playlists.

Just to add my (possibly unwanted) two penneth, I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus on Android 9 and am experiencing the same battery drain as many others using Poweramp.

As an experiment, I played a 2 hour album on Poweramp from full charge, with no other apps running, and the battery went down to 79%.  I then charged the phone back up to 100%, played the same album using JetAudio+, and the battery only went down to 97%.  I don't really know too much about the technicalities of this stuff, but all I know is that those figures prove to me that Poweramp is draining the battery.

I want to continue using Poweramp, as it has the best sound quality of any music app that I have found and also handles playlists better than any other app, but this issue is proving to be very difficult to endure, as I am often without access to a charger during the day.

@Si6776 see header of this topic for useful tips.

For example here is a build 847 14 hours non stop playback stats from quite a low end phone: 

Screenshot_20191025-160901.png

Also note that if you use hi-res 192khz, it's 4x more heavy weight vs normal res. If you use incorrectly configured output (when there is extra resampling stages from hi-res back to standard res) that adds as well. On S9+ Poweramp can play more than 24 hours non-stop on 40% volume.

@maxmp

Thanks for your reply.  I'm using Hi-Res 48khz.  SW resampler.  Most other settings are default.

I will try backing up my current settings, and then resetting everything else to default and see if that makes any difference, but if I can't use the high-res audio, then I'm losing one of the benefits of using Poweramp.

I'm wondering if there's any connection to disconnecting from a bluetooth audio device without actually stopping Poweramp?  From memory, my CPU overload warning seems to happen around 1-2 hours after I come in from work, after PA has been playing via Bluetooth in the car.  Usually I just get out of the car and the audio stops, but I don't make a specific point of closing PA.  It would therefore remain idling in the background for this period of time, and then I get the warning.

On the devices I have in test lab hi-res normally wouldn't introduce any noticeable battery usage (overall consumption will be may be 15-25% higher, some devices will be louder / will use a bit more power consuming DAC amplifier mode, but nothing that can be categorized as battery drain).

Archived