Poweramp Build 823

maxmp

On 3/25/2019 at 5:43 PM, TommyGunn said:

Did a search and could not find anything. I have a Sam J7 (2016) running Oreo 8.1. Installed v3 and configured it to NOT pause for other notifications. Despite, it still just totally stops playing once an em notification or text, etc pops up. It's rather annoying.  

Is this another annoying Oreo nit?  Any suggestions on a fix plz? Tia

@maxmp   seeking a reply here, please.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chromecast is working great if I press the cast button and select the device I want to stream to. Google Assistant works for something like "Ok Google, play Rammstein". But I can not say something like "Ok Google, play Rammstein using Poweramp in the kitchen". Is this supposed to work?

46 minutes ago, pladux said:

Chromecast is working great if I press the cast button and select the device I want to stream to. Google Assistant works for something like "Ok Google, play Rammstein". But I can not say something like "Ok Google, play Rammstein using Poweramp in the kitchen". Is this supposed to work?

I don't think so

That command is meant for web apps such as Spotify, Tidal, TuneIn etc. etc.

Asking to run any app from the phone is not currently supported by Google

I have a little issue on Android Auto.

After a phone call, music resumes, however after a few seconds its paused and I have to resume manually. Resume after phone call is turned on in audio focus settings.

On 3/27/2019 at 11:48 PM, NickIst said:

Error message "Failed: Hi-Res output Using default output" still persists. UPD: I found the source of the error message it's Samsung built-in conversion from 16 bit to 24 which prevented me from using the Hi-Res output. So in case of Samsung @ Pie for Wired (3.5) output: - 48khz/16bit ( Hi-res and DVC are possible, but with musicFX deactivated)

UPD. Another walkaround Hi-Res, No DVC, MusicFX on, but with 16/44.1. But in fact FX doesn't work complettely in both cases or at least the PA doesn't show anymore 16 to 24 bit conversion. However if during playback I change to 16/48 the player automatically will change the output to OpenSL ES and the error message pops again. 

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I'm getting a very strange problem with build 823. I'm using a stock Samsung Galaxy S7 (standard, not the S7 Edge) running Android 8.0.0.

When I open the app it goes to the main playing screen as normal with the mini player at the bottom. However, as soon as I used controls on the mini player more than once (e.g. press menu, press back, then press menu again) UI elements start blanking out and disappearing. Eventually, by tapping around on the various UI elements, I end up with the attached screenshot! Despite the UI going completely beserk the music keeps playing, but all of the buttons which are missing cease to function meaning I can't get into the settings, library, EQ, etc. The only way to resolve is force kill the app, and then it breaks again the second time I use a control

This means the app is basically unusable for me which is a real shame as I love it, and earlier builds ran fine on the same hardware with the same version of Android.

Any idea if I can do anything to fix this, or is it a bug which needs fixing in a new build? I've already tried force kill and clearing the app data.

Screenshot_20190402-132329_Poweramp.jpg

4 hours ago, returnofthem said:

When I open the app it goes to the main playing screen as normal with the mini player at the bottom. However, as soon as I used controls on the mini player more than once (e.g. press menu, press back, then press menu again) UI elements start blanking out and disappearing. Eventually, by tapping around on the various UI elements, I end up with the attached screenshot! Despite the UI going completely beserk the music keeps playing, but all of the buttons which are missing cease to function meaning I can't get into the settings, library, EQ, etc. The only way to resolve is force kill the app, and then it breaks again the second time I use a control

Did this work with previous versions < 823 ?

4 hours ago, returnofthem said:

I've already tried force kill and clearing the app data.

You could deinstall the app, remove the directory ( /Android/data/_com.maxmpz.audioplayer ), reinstall the app. This would remove all settings.

15 hours ago, blaubär said:

Did this work with previous versions < 823 ?

You could deinstall the app, remove the directory ( /Android/data/_com.maxmpz.audioplayer ), reinstall the app. This would remove all settings.

Version 823 was fine yeah.

Reinstalling didn't help but deleting the _com.maxmpz.audioplayer directory fixed it - very strange!

Thanks for the suggestion :)

Hi lads, I tried again to switch from alpha 704 to (this time) 823... and when I'm using hi-res audio output on my S7 Exynos (with Cirrus DAC) volume is way quieter than with opensl es output - and with DVC ON in output settings it's even quieter...

So anyone could advise me? On 704 sound was way louder with Hi-Res ON...

And Open SL output somehow sounds with worse dynamics of the sound than Hi-Res... :/ (despite being louder thanks to working DVC...)

59 minutes ago, betterstranger said:

So anyone could advise me? On 704 sound was way louder with Hi-Res ON...

And Open SL output somehow sounds with worse dynamics of the sound than Hi-Res... 😕 (despite being louder thanks to working DVC...)

704 may well have not been outputting in high res at all, there was a lot less error detection in the early code and while PA might have been processing in high-res, the phone could have been downsampling back to 48k in the output stages. More recent versions control the output more correctly. And yes, turning DVC off (which is needed if the native audio hardware doesn't play well with PA) is usually quieter. 

Andre

2 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

704 may well have not been outputting in high res at all, there was a lot less error detection in the early code and while PA might have been processing in high-res, the phone could have been downsampling back to 48k in the output stages. More recent versions control the output more correctly. And yes, turning DVC off (which is needed if the native audio hardware doesn't play well with PA) is usually quieter. 

Andre

Hi Andre,

In terms of volume loudness OpenSL+DVC ON is the loudest one. Hi-Res with DVC OFF is 2nd loudest (but on 60% vol it's like OpenSL with ~40% vol) and Hi-Res with DVC ON is by far the quietest. So it's quite strange to me. Should it be like that??

Honestly I didn't have any problems with PA704 - it always was in what mode I wanted. Mostly I'm using 320 CBR mp3s and even with quite nice earphones (FLC8s - 2BA+1DM) using 192/24 mode doesn't do me any favour (IMO the difference between 320cbr and 192/24 flac is just ommitable) - what is more interesting to me is playing straight through DAC without any Android OS interference. I prefer to get all I can out of my hardware because it makes bigger difference than any so called HQ recordings.

Btw. I'm using Android 7 if it changes anything.

8 hours ago, betterstranger said:

I'm using Android 7 if it changes anything.

I'm using Samsung S7 Exynos SM-G930F with Android Oreo 8.0.0 and Poweramp Build 823, wired headphones, High-Res with DVC on, and the sound and volume are OK. I've got a wide choice for the sampling rate.

35201982520.jpg

1 hour ago, blaubär said:

I'm using Samsung S7 Exynos SM-G930F with Android Oreo 8.0.0 and Poweramp Build 823, wired headphones, High-Res with DVC on, and the sound and volume are OK. I've got a wide choice for the sampling rate.

35201982520.jpg

Then please try OpenSL+DVC ON and compare it to Hi-Res+DVC ON (you can also try with DVC OFF - should be louder than with ON) and 'no headroom gain' OFF.

There's a huge difference in volume level for me.

24 minutes ago, betterstranger said:

As I said earlier, generally turning DVC off does tend to be a fair be quieter. It can be a bit of a trade-off. I'm sure @maxmp can explain why in more technical detail, but my guess would be that when PA hands off more audio-processing control to the official firmware it needs to leave more safety headroom to avoid possible distortion.

The real question is does this make the maximum available level too low for your ears though? I very rarely set my volume levels anywhere close to maximum, apart from occasionally on lower level spoken-word material when I'm walking out near traffic. You could also use the ReplayGain boost setting, and the EQ preamp gain, to bring the levels back up - but I would be wary of overdoing that just so you can say "it goes up to 11" in case you end up introducing clipping.

Andre

25 minutes ago, betterstranger said:

Then please try OpenSL+DVC ON and compare it to Hi-Res+DVC ON (you can also try with DVC OFF - should be louder than with ON) and 'no headroom gain' OFF.

1. Hi-Res, DVC on : normal

2. Hi-Res, DVC off : more silent

3. Hi-Res, DVC off, No Headroom Gain : between the above two

4. OpenSL, DVC on : normal

So it basically does what it's supposed to do. Especially there is no difference between High-Res and OpenSl.

Ever thought about updating to Oreo ?

1 hour ago, andrewilley said:

As I said earlier, generally turning DVC off does tend to be a fair be quieter. It can be a bit of a trade-off. I'm sure @maxmp can explain why in more technical detail, but my guess would be that when PA hands off more audio-processing control to the official firmware it needs to leave more safety headroom to avoid possible distortion.

The real question is does this make the maximum available level too low for your ears though? I very rarely set my volume levels anywhere close to maximum, apart from occasionally on lower level spoken-word material when I'm walking out near traffic. You could also use the ReplayGain boost setting, and the EQ preamp gain, to bring the levels back up - but I would be wary of overdoing that just so you can say "it goes up to 11" in case you end up introducing clipping.

Andre

Well, when I'm turning DVC ON it's quieter - to be precise - in Hi-Res output setup I turn "No DVC" option to ON (so that DVC is switched OFF) and it's louder and if I turn it "No DVC" to OFF it's getting quieter.
BUT it's still 20% quieter than OPENSL with DVC ON ("No DVC" setting OFF).

So the conclusion: when using PA704 (Hi-Res+DVC ON) I was using ~42% of volume on my 10 Ohms FLC8s. Now to get similar level I need 60%. The thing is FLC8s are very efficient. My Phonak Audeo (1 BA) with 32 Ohms and especially TDK IE800 (2x DM) with 32Ohms need a lot more firepower.
And there is an additional thing of battery drainage...

2 hours ago, blaubär said:

1. Hi-Res, DVC on : normal

2. Hi-Res, DVC off : more silent

3. Hi-Res, DVC off, No Headroom Gain : between the above two

4. OpenSL, DVC on : normal

So it basically does what it's supposed to do. Especially there is no difference between High-Res and OpenSl.

Ever thought about updating to Oreo ?

Well, strange. Maybe it's because of me using Android 7 not 8... As far as I know Oreo has problems with PA704 and to be honest I prefer PA704 to v3 823. They sound actually the same, there are no features I'd like to get (A/B repeat, more bands on EQ or possibility to set length of RWD/FF seek) and I find PA704 interface just better and simpler. Plus it's way better to use at night as you can set it to be almost all-black/dark in PA704.

4 minutes ago, betterstranger said:

Well, when I'm turning DVC ON it's quieter - to be precise - in Hi-Res output setup I turn "No DVC" option to ON (so that DVC is switched OFF) and it's louder and if I turn it "No DVC" to OFF it's getting quieter.

If you are using High-res with DVC on then you should have a fair bit more processing headroom due to the extra bit depth, so perhaps just try boosting the pre-amp EQ setting (or turn the headroom limiter off). Or just set your output volume to 60% instead of 40% ? Changing output methods does often result in slightly different volume levels, so just compensate with the volume control (as long as you are not having to max it out anyway).

Andre

7 minutes ago, betterstranger said:

I find PA704 interface just better and simpler. Plus it's way better to use at night as you can set it to be almost all-black/dark in PA704.

It takes a day or two, but then you'll be happy with V3. And there's no lack of darkness for the dark lord in V3 :-) . You've got a dark builtin skin, there are other dark skins available, e.g. the Dark Default Skin, that's my favourite. See the Skin Forum.

I have a funny issue

Volume up will bring the volume to 0 1st. Than start to increase. 
This only after opening for the Poweramp for 1st time.

Galaxy 8 with android 9

Thank you 

8 hours ago, KOB said:

I have a funny issue

Volume up will bring the volume to 0 1st. Than start to increase. 
This only after opening for the Poweramp for 1st time.

Galaxy 8 with android 9

Thank you 

I've noticed that.   When connecting to bluetooth I start turning up the volume then it goes to 0.   Maybe I do it too soon but I never had this problem before.  

I double check 

After starting the application touching volume up or down will zero the volume level,  with any type of connection (including the international speaker) 

Definitely a new issue 

is it just me or we can't set Poweramp as default music player in google assistant anymore? I can play if I ask directly "play whatever in Poweramp", but I want to be able to just say "play whatever" and directly go to Poweramp, wich it should be possible to set up in google assistant's settings>music>music service, but Poweramp  is not in the list

Archived