Chromecast casting not working

Citywolf

Today I got the update for v3-build-821-play (beta user) with the new feature of casting via Chromecast. This doesn't work for me, the error message on the TV screen says "firmware to old", followed by the release numbers of Mozilla, Apple WebKit and Chrome (see attached screenshot). My Chromecast is a generation 1 model, is it to old?

IMG_20190319_173713908~(1)~(1).jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually I'm getting the same (I missed the brief message first time round, thought it was a blank screen). I have what I assume is a generation 1 Chromecast dongle (the long thin one, not the circular one) and that shows 1.32.144770 as the firmware version too. YouTube/etc play through it fine, but I get the above message when I try to cast from Poweramp.

@maxmp should this be working, or is this be a known limitation?

Andre

5 hours ago, maxmp said:

I temporarily set min. chrome version to 66 (I can't test it though) - those who with Chromecast v1 - can you please test it with Poweramp build 821 now? (Chromecast may require reboot). Thanks!

I'm on v3-build -821-play (Beta channel) and also after a reboot of Chromecast ( v1, firmware version 1.32.144770 ) I get the same message as shown on the screenshot above: Firmware too old.

6 hours ago, maxmp said:

Unfortunately, Chromecast v1 is not supported currently - as I don't have v1 device I can't test it. 

Thank you for the reply. Maybe it will be supported in the future or maybe I'll buy myself a newer model. ;)

On 3/20/2019 at 7:43 PM, maxmp said:

Ok, just pushed update for Chromecast receiver to support Chrome version 63+. This should cover Chromecast 2013/v1. Please let me know if it works (no Poweramp update is needed).

it seems to work on my device

5 hours ago, maxmp said:

Ok, just pushed update for Chromecast receiver to support Chrome version 63+. This should cover Chromecast 2013/v1. Please let me know if it works (no Poweramp update is needed).

Initially works fine, shows cover art and displays text on TV and allows me to choose tracks and navigate via PA on my phone and music can be heard. Excellent.

However as soon as I touch the volume control on the phone (either using the side buttons, or via the slider on the PA>Menu>Chromecast screen) , PA crashes and won't restart again until I either reboot the Chromecast device or turn wi-fi off on the phone. The Chromecast stays stuck on the last display and needs rebooting.

Trying to cast to the Chromecast receiver built in to my Onkyo amp shows the initial "Casting Poweramp" message on the amp screen for a few seconds, but PA then crashes on the phone before it gets any further.

[Edit] The above tests were from my temporary Galaxy S4  phone (Stock Android 5.0.1). When I tried the same with my Galaxy Tab S2 (Android 7.0) it is working much better, with the Chromecast out and volume control working. The Onkyo worked for about 30 seconds, including volume control, but then the Chromecast on the amp disconnected itself from the link. 

Andre

5 hours ago, maxmp said:

Works flawlessly on my Moto G5 Plus connected to Chromecast v1.

Btw, nice Coveranimation.

Thanks!

10 hours ago, maxmp said:

@andrewilley I found that report (Play collects them as well) - fix will be in 822. Thanks for testing!

Seems much better in 822, thanks. Changing volume is fine with both the Chromcast v1 dongle and my Onkyo amp, no more crashes.

There's a slight visual glitch in PA with the on-screen volume indication when casting though: the audio level increases/decreases correctly on the output device, but sometimes the displayed percentage in PA (the round dial) winds itself all the way back down to 0%, although output is still fine at the new volume. Adjusting it again winds the PA display readout back up to the real volume (e.g. 30%). Output remains fine though, it's just the on-screen indicator in PA that shows the odd values.

The connection is still dropping after about 20 seconds of playback on my Onkyo amp's Chromecast receiver though. It works OK up to then, track changes, volume adjust, and album title/artwork/etc are all fine, however after about 20 seconds of playing something just disconnects the link every time. It works with Google Play Music, for which casting carries on for whole songs. This problem does not seem to be device specific, the same happens on a Galaxy S4 with stock 5.0 ROM and and also Galaxy Tab S2 with 7.0 stock ROM.  

Andre

11 hours ago, andrewilley said:

The connection is still dropping after about 20 seconds of playback on my Onkyo amp's Chromecast receiver though

Can you please go to Chromecast output settings in PA and ramp up buffer up to 2000ms or more? This is tuned by default for Google devices and it seems it may require larger values for other OEMs. Thanks!

1 hour ago, maxmp said:

Can you please go to Chromecast output settings in PA and ramp up buffer up to 2000ms or more? 

No change, still plays for a short time and then the link cuts out.

The Wi-Fi signal to the phone is good, and the amp is hard-wired to my gigabit home ethernet network. Google Play Music works fine with the amp's Chromecast receiver.

One thing I did notice is that updating the cover artwork on the Onkyo screen could cause a second or two dropout, but generally that recovered again (until the link stops completely). 

Andre

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/21/2019 at 9:48 AM, andrewilley said:

Seems much better in 822, thanks. Changing volume is fine with both the Chromcast v1 dongle and 

The connection is still dropping after about 20 seconds of playback on my Onkyo amp's Chromecast receiver though. It works OK up to then, track changes, volume adjust, and album title/artwork/etc are all fine, however after about 20 seconds of playing something just disconnects the link every time. It works with Google Play Music, for which casting carries on for whole songs. This problem does not seem to be device specific, the same happens on a Galaxy S4 with stock 5.0 ROM and and also Galaxy Tab S2 with 7.0 stock ROM.  

Andre

Did this ever get resolved? Having the same problem casting to a Sony SRS ZR7. Casting stops after 20s. Doesn't mater if it's playing music or not.

Peter

21 hours ago, Stonedowner said:

Did this ever get resolved? Having the same problem casting to a Sony SRS ZR7. Casting stops after 20s. Doesn't mater if it's playing music or not.

Peter

Not yet as far as I know. I haven't checked 824 yet, but I don't expect it to be different as correcting this bug was not on the release list.

[Edit] I just checked, and Chromecast output unfortunately still drops out after approx 20-30 seconds of playback on my Onkyo amp. The amp uses Chromecast/Chrome version 62 , which according to Onkyo they have no plans to update. Max says PA is currently optimised for Chrome versions 63+, so I wonder if you have the same problem? To check, while PA is connected to the Chromecast output device, long-press on the metadata line near the bottom of the PA player screen and check what version numbers are listed in the Chromecast section.

Andre

17 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Not yet as far as I know. I haven't checked 824 yet, but I don't expect it to be different as correcting this bug was not on the release list.

[Edit] I just checked, and Chromecast output unfortunately still drops out after approx 20-30 seconds of playback on my Onkyo amp. The amp uses Chromecast/Chrome version 62 , which according to Onkyo they have no plans to update. Max says PA is currently optimised for Chrome versions 63+, so I wonder if you have the same problem? To check, while PA is connected to the Chromecast output device, long-press on the metadata line near the bottom of the PA player screen and check what version numbers are listed in the Chromecast section.

Andre

It's 62.

Peter

Archived