flyingdutchman

New Poweramp Skin - alternative layout

4 minutes ago, flyingdutchman said:

if it is available under a free license i will add it

Sadly I rather doubt it's under a free licence. I did some checking, and HYStarWars seems to be part of LG's suite of themes for its phones, http://us.lgworld.com/store/share.dev?k=000001177488739 . Shame though, as it's rather elegant and very readable.

Andre

@andrewilley

have a look here https://www.fontsquirrel.com/, see if there is anything that gets close. We can experiment of course. Try a few and see which one looks best in Poweramp

I have added the necessary to set the background of both app default and Poweramp pro buttons

colour_buttons.png

Vertical artwork does not seem to be displayed correctly,

The last api update was 29 days ago. I wil need to go through its changes and see if there is anything relating to albumart.

Navbar icon sizes, you now have the ability to set from 8sp to 32sp in steps of 4 so  8, 12, 16, 20, 24, 28, 32

Edited by flyingdutchman

1 hour ago, flyingdutchman said:

have a look here https://www.fontsquirrel.com/

I have added the necessary to set the background of both app default and Poweramp pro buttons

After a quick look, maybe Overlock (Small Caps or Regular, both look nice) or Fontin Sans (again, Regular looks quite nice too as well as the Small Caps option) or perhaps Datalegreya? I don't think there's any need for the whole raft of Italic/Bold styles though, the list would get pretty unmanageable otherwise. [Hmm, I wonder if it's feasible to pre-read samples from the font files, so the on-screen choices could be displayed in samples of the typefaces?]

Thanks for the control-buttons background colour, that'll be nice. Perhaps it might be an idea to do the same with backgrounds for the Visualisation/Timer/Repeat/Shuffle icons too, as they can get a bit lost against some lighter blurred backgrounds? People could still set them to transparent if they like the current system and don't want to see background shapes.

To your point in the Play Store by the way, I don't think having a wide range of available options is a bad thing per se. The problem comes with the ease - or otherwise - of accessing a lot of options without presenting the user with a dauntingly long list of possibilities. Maybe dividing some of them into drill-down categories might help? e.g. clickable subsections for Fonts/Sizes, Element Visibility, Foreground Colours, Background Colours.

On a side-note in terms of wording, I would also suggest that having lots of options for 'hiding' elements (which you have to enable in order to hide them) is perhaps a bit counter-intuitive. It might make more sense to have those same options worded as positive (show) actions rather than negative (hide) actions? e.g. Visibility of the Seekbar could work by being enabled when the toggle-switch is turned on, and invisible when the toggle is turned off. In my little brain, it just makes more sense to have something appear when I turn a switch on, and disappear if I turn it off. No major work, just a reversal of the display logic.

Sorry, this is getting long-winded, I was only going to mention a  few font names. :)

Andre

To your point in the Play Store by the way, I don't think having a wide range of available options is a bad thing per se. The problem comes with the ease - or otherwise - of accessing a lot of options without presenting the user with a dauntingly long list of possibilities. Maybe dividing some of them into drill-down categories might help? e.g. clickable subsections for Fonts/Sizes, Element Visibility, Foreground Colours, Background Colours.

@andrewilley

I would love to be able to add main menu headers and submenus just as in any app but sor far this is not possible for skins. Perhaps @maxmp will implement this in the near future

2 hours ago, flyingdutchman said:

@andrewilley

I would love to be able to add main menu headers and submenus just as in any app but sor far this is not possible for skins. Perhaps @maxmp will implement this in the near future

@maxmp any plans to add the ability for skins to group and subgroup settings under headers in the future? This would really help clean up the interface whole allowing them to maximize the customizations.

18 minutes ago, flyingdutchman said:

@andrewilley, 2 of the selected fonts are .otf instead of .ttf. 

OTF (OpenType) is a slightly more advanced format with a few more features than TrueType, but it's usually pretty easy to convert freeware fonts using readily available online tools. Don't know if it's worth the  bother thought, I just picked a few that looked nice, I'm sure there are others. Maybe just give the one that works a try and see how it looks?

Andre

Latest release now has some of the features requested by @andrewilley and additional colours requested by  Eric mesocyclone

(Some of the suggestions such as logic with hide options, background for TopSubAAButtons and moving og menu are on the todo list)

- font overlock

- set playbuttons background colours

- text background on some library scenes

- improved display of albumart in library

and additional orange colours as requested by eric

ps. on the display of non square albumart, I have not found anything specific, even in the latest api release so perhaps you can upload an example for me to work with.

Anything is possible, you are only limited by your own creativity 

collage.png

@andrewilley, I fixed the albumart ratio issue.

Tried to move the menu below the albumart and to the right of the track title and album artist.

I agree, it does look better but unfortunately in that position it no longer responds to clicks. I think it is because it appears to sit outside its layout container (which is the albumart) and the layouts underneath take over ie sliding for transitions.

There is something called z-order to ensure the menu sits on top but this too had no effect. 

For the moment I reverted back to default top right hand side.

I am sure you are aware of the option to hide both rating/like/unlike and menu and that the menu is available anyway by clicking albumart

1 hour ago, flyingdutchman said:

I think it is because it appears to sit outside its layout container (which is the albumart) and the layouts underneath take over ie sliding for transitions.

Perhaps it is clashing with the Title container, which would need to be moved away from that space if that layout option was chosen? For tidy centring, I guess a similar-sized space would need to be added on the other side - unless the centring zone can be handled dynamical, depending on the width of the text? 

It can apparently be made to work somehow though, my previous preferred skin did it (hence my comment that it looked nice).

image.png

Andre

@andrewilley, good to see an example. I will give it another go . In your example the text is attached on the left hand side. As my text is centrd, it cannot be attached either left or right so perhaps that is the issue. I will experiment some more. If it works with left side attached, then I will make this available as an option

By the way, Poweramp uses the same hide/show logic for artifacts that are visible by default. It is thus a concious user action to hide.

Edited by flyingdutchman

On 2/2/2020 at 2:18 PM, flyingdutchman said:

- font overlock

- set playbuttons background colours

Could you add the -10/+10 long-track buttons into the new button background colour option? (And can those fourth and fifth buttons be made bigger by the way, perhaps only a bit smaller than the '<<' and '>>' buttons, as my clumsy fingers keep missing the spot :)😞

image.png

Fonts: You added both Fontin Sans and Overlock, but they both look the same to me, apart from perhaps a fractionally different weight? Also, the original idea was to try out the Small Caps variants of these fonts, the Regular style was just a nice-to-have extra option.

In lists, using the new small-corners option, it might be nice to give the covers a bit of a breathing gap around the edges by making the cover images slightly smaller:

image.png

And finally (sorry!) there are still some vertical positional issues with larger font sizes in the Player screen overlapping the icons underneath:

image.png

Andre

23 minutes ago, flyingdutchman said:

@andrewilley, I am on the case (again)☺️

Sorry, I can be a pain once I get my teeth into something. :) Years of back-and-forth testing and reporting at work tend to make you that way. Hopefully everything I suggest is positive and useful though, and results in a better final product.

Andre

@andrewilley, i appreciate the feedback. On the alignment issue, as i have limited test devices, it is likely that for some, the alignment is not quite correct. I always advise users to get in touch and send me a screenshot and details of their device. Remind me of your device please

7 hours ago, flyingdutchman said:

I always advise users to get in touch and send me a screenshot and details of their device. Remind me of your device please

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy A70, with a fairly tall aspect ratio of 20:9 (2400x1080):

image.png

The above image uses slightly smaller font sizes (18 and 16) versus the 22 and 18 that I was using in the previous overlap example, as below:

image.png

To be honest, I think it might be better to move the Vis/Timer/Repeat/Shuffle icons down a bit for this screen height, and the two text lines up just a fraction, just to neaten it up (unless you are able to set the layout dynamically based on the currently chosen font sizes anyway).

Andre

14 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Sorry, I can be a pain once I get my teeth into something. :) Years of back-and-forth testing and reporting at work tend to make you that way. Hopefully everything I suggest is positive and useful though, and results in a better final product.

Andre

And i thought I bugged Theo a lot lol I got a good eye for imperfections and improvements.   gets me in trouble with the landlord pointing too many things out that need fixed!!!!

6 hours ago, hypomaniac-eric said:

I got a good eye for imperfections and improvements.

I spend ages tweaking things that probably don't need tweaking at all - but then I guess that's what skins and themes on apps are all about, we don't actually need any of it. :) My wife just calls it 'extra'.

Andre

Released V58

V58

Lots of changes:

• ability to set different font size for Library views so now you can set different sizes for track title and album/artist too

• ability to set background colour on visualisation, timer, repeat and shuffle buttons

• additional hypomaniac spectrum

• removed “hide menu” as you can set this in Poweramp itself

• applied consistent and increased size ranges

• fixed 10s buttons and made them larger

• fixed aspect ratio

• hopefully fixed some misalignment issues

• added spacing between library albumart lists

Although I have enabled the moving of the menu, the icon becomes unresponsive. I have tried several approaches to ensure it is on top, stop other artifacts grabbing the focus etc but to no avail. The option id hidden for the moment.

Perhaps other skinners or even @maxmpcan help me out here?

As for the alignment, the way it works behind the scenes is that android will get the dimensions of a device, then looks for a configuration file that matches that. It it does not find the exact one, it will drop down a level and pick the next one.

For example a Galaxy S5 which has 1080*1920 picks up a 360*600 config file. Note that there is usually some of the height reserved for decoration/navbar.

@andrewilley

For  Galaxy A70, (2400x1080) I would expect it it use 360*700 or 360*720. I have tweaked the 360*700 to perfection but if it is still wrong could I ask you to run my small utility which will show exactly which one it picks up. From this I can then either create the correct config file of adjust an existing one. I hope this makes sense.

Utility to show device config:

dimensions.apk

Edited by flyingdutchman

10 hours ago, flyingdutchman said:

Released V58

V58

Lots of changes:

• ability to set different font size for Library views so now you can set different sizes for track title and album/artist too

• ability to set background colour on visualisation, timer, repeat and shuffle buttons

• additional hypomaniac spectrum

• removed “hide menu” as you can set this in Poweramp itself

• applied consistent and increased size ranges

• fixed 10s buttons and made them larger

• fixed aspect ratio

• hopefully fixed some misalignment issues

• added spacing between library albumart lists

Although I have enabled the moving of the menu, the icon becomes unresponsive. I have tried several approaches to ensure it is on top, stop other artifacts grabbing the focus etc but to no avail. The option id hidden for the moment.

Perhaps other skinners or even @maxmpcan help me out here?

As for the alignment, the way it works behind the scenes is that android will get the dimensions of a device, then looks for a configuration file that matches that. It it does not find the exact one, it will drop down a level and pick the next one.

For example a Galaxy S5 which has 1080*1920 picks up a 360*600 config file. Note that there is usually some of the height reserved for decoration/navbar.

@andrewilley

For  Galaxy A70, (2400x1080) I would expect it it use 360*700 or 360*720. I have tweaked the 360*700 to perfection but if it is still wrong could I ask you to run my small utility which will show exactly which one it picks up. From this I can then either create the correct config file of adjust an existing one. I hope this makes sense.

Utility to show device config:

dimensions.apk 1.35 MB · 3 downloads

Thanks for adding hypomanic analyzer in green and naming it after my handle.  I love it. 

Screenshot_20200208-143241_Poweramp.jpg

Fellow skinners, who can help or has suggestions

I am moving the "ItemTrackMenu_scene_aa" below the albumart (aa_image). (right screenshot)

<item name="com.maxmpz.audioplayer:layout_attachTop">@com.maxmpz.audioplayer:id/aa_image</item>
<item name="com.maxmpz.audioplayer:layout_attachLeft">@null</item>
<item name="com.maxmpz.audioplayer:layout_attachRightToRight">@com.maxmpz.audioplayer:id/aa_image</item>
<item name="com.maxmpz.audioplayer:layout_attachBottom">@null</item>

At the same time the track title and artist/album becone left justfied (i attached left to parent and right to menu) in order to move away from the menu.

Issue here is that the menu no longer responds to and touch.

If however you move the menu to the bottom but inside of the albumart  it works as expected (left screenshot)

<item name="com.maxmpz.audioplayer:layout_attachTop">@null</item>
<item name="com.maxmpz.audioplayer:layout_attachLeft">@null</item>
<item name="com.maxmpz.audioplayer:layout_attachRightToRight">@com.maxmpz.audioplayer:id/aa_image</item>
<item name="com.maxmpz.audioplayer:layout_attachBottom">@com.maxmpz.audioplayer:id/aa_image</item>

Additional  settings I tried

<item name="android:clickable">true</item>
<item name="android:descendantFocusability">blocksDescendants</item>
<item name="android:focusable">true</item>
<item name="android:focusableInTouchMode">true</item>
<item name="android:outlineProvider">none</item>
<item name="android:elevation">?com.maxmpz.audioplayer:over_aa_elevation</item>
<!-- This extra 1px for z-index is required as extra content may be loaded into item, covering menu, which is always before the loaded content -->
<item name="android:translationZ">1px</item>

I attach screenshots to illustrate

Left illustration all is fine, The right screenshot menu becomes unresponsive. I suspect that as it sits outside the aa_image, some other layout component such as 

TopListWidget

takes over.

Any suggestions welcome

ItemTrackMenu_scene_aa.jpg

Sorry I didn't get back sooner on this latest update, I was away for the weekend so not at the computer. Lots of excellent changes there, really nice.

I think your guess about my A70's screen-size reporting was spot on, here's the results from your test app:
image.png

And here is how the skin currently looks, no more overlapping of the artist/album text and icons with smaller fonts:
Screenshot_20200211-105615_Poweramp.jpg

The gap under the album art is perhaps still a bit big though, which becomes more of a problem at larger font sizes:
image.png

It might be worth adding an extra mode to the Square/Circle options for text boxes, so as to provide a more subtly rounded-edge rectangle to match with the style of the Vis/Timer/Repeat/Shuffle icons.

A few other comments... There seems to be quite a large left-margin gap in List-Compact and List modes (List-Small and the Grid views are fine):
Screenshot_20200211-110233_Poweramp.jpg
An extra pixel or two of vertical space between each image in List-Compact and List modes might also look better (again, List-Small is perfect).

And in the EQ screen, the vertical slider bars seem to be missing for me:
Screenshot_20200211-105549_Poweramp.jpg

And final really trivial comment: the Cyan colour group is duplicated near the top and near the bottom in some colour lists (e.g. Text Colour). 

Andre

I just noticed while answering someone else's question in another thread, the metadata line in the header areas of lists (if enabled in Settings) does not show in this skin:
image.png

This is how it should look:
image.png

As an aside, I also noticed that in Compact List views the area allocated on the left of each line for the album art is much larger than in other/default skins, leaving less room for the actual text. 

Andre