Jump to content
Poweramp
wickedlemon

Voice Control and Shuffle

Recommended Posts

I'm trying to set Poweramp up to use in my car and would like to get it working with Google Assistant. I've just about got it playing tracks, stopping, starting, not answering back etc but I'm really struggling with Shuffle. I can shuffle, but only all songs. I'm at a complete loss on how to play an artist or genre shuffled. Has anyone managed this? I just want to be able to switch music with as little interaction as possible.

Any other useful tips on voice control would be appreciated!

On a vaguely related note, is Poweramp shuffle mode actually shuffle, or random? I know different players seem to interchange these words without respecting their actual meaning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, wickedlemon said:

On a vaguely related note, is Poweramp shuffle mode actually shuffle, or random? I know different players seem to interchange these words without respecting their actual meaning.

What would shuffle be if not random ? Poweramp gives the songs a new, random order - each song in the list gets played exactly once, but at another position. Do you mean "random" would randomly decide the next song so that it would not be guaranteed that each song occurred exactly once ?

2162019145733.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think of a pack of cards:

Shuffle: Shuffle all the cards and pick cards one by one until there are none left.

Random: Shuffle cards. Pick one, return to pack, pick another.

Shuffle's great if you're listening to an album and want to mix it up, but personally I think it sucks if you have a large playlist. A song you like comes on and you know you not going to hear it again for another 5000 songs!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wickedlemon said:

Think of a pack of cards:

Shuffle: Shuffle all the cards and pick cards one by one until there are none left.

Random: Shuffle cards. Pick one, return to pack, pick another.

Shuffle's great if you're listening to an album and want to mix it up, but personally I think it sucks if you have a large playlist. A song you like comes on and you know you not going to hear it again for another 5000 songs!

Well, Poweramp really and truly shuffles. "Random" would be something new. If you would like to have that, you could bring it on in Feature Requests.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, blaubär said:

"Random" would be something new.

That could be implemented by initiating a reshuffle after each song and keeping the position counter in the list to one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, w3wilkes said:

Check the end of this thread. It worked for me.

What worked ? Shuffle ? Random ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, blaubär said:

What worked ? Shuffle ? Random ?

I guess you didn't read the thread??

Here's what worked for me.

"Hey Google - Play Artist Dire Straits Shuffled"

Max also replied to the thread and said this should also work

“Ok google - Shuffle (some song/artist/album/etc.)”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, w3wilkes said:

I guess you didn't read the thread??

Here's what worked for me.

"Hey Google - Play Artist Dire Straits Shuffled"

Max also replied to the thread and said this should also work

“Ok google - Shuffle (some song/artist/album/etc.)”

Tried both those and it always starts with the same song. Shuffle just doesn't get enabled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, blaubär said:

Well, Poweramp really and truly shuffles. "Random" would be something new. If you would like to have that, you could bring it on in Feature Requests.

I may have to. No random is a deal breaker. It's why I ditched Rockbox years ago when that was the go to player (back before everyone used their phones). I can't believe players don't have both shuffle and random.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, wickedlemon said:

Tried both those and it always starts with the same song. Shuffle just doesn't get enabled.

Wondering what the rest of the set looks like? Is it always the same too?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, w3wilkes said:

Wondering what the rest of the set looks like? Is it always the same too?

So I say "Hey Goggle play Aerosmith shuffled"

This is displayed correctly on the google assistant pop-up (which I wish stayed hidden). I need to practice my pronunciation as I often get "Play Aerosmith Sheffield" :) )

The response is "Sure, asking Poweramp to play Aerosmith" (Shuffle isn't mentioned in the response. Is this standard behaviour?)

My queue then consists of all songs by Aerosmith but in track name order.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just tried "OK Google ; Shuffle ABBA" and it worked perfectly. Not actually tried voice commands on my device before - kinda neat, in a still-rather-clunky manner. I wonder if I can get it to work in the car via Bluetooth and the car's built-in microphone, as that's the one occasion I could see myself using it.

Andre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

I just tried "OK Google ; Shuffle ABBA" and it worked perfectly. Not actually tried voice commands on my device before - kinda neat, in a still-rather-clunky manner. I wonder if I can get it to work in the car via Bluetooth and the car's built-in microphone, as that's the one occasion I could see myself using it.

Andre

 

I wonder why that doesn't work for me? Could there be any settings in Poweramp that are causing the issue?

When you do this and google assistant pops up on screen, does it mention shuffle in its response?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, wickedlemon said:

 

I wonder why that doesn't work for me? Could there be any settings in Poweramp that are causing the issue?

When you do this and google assistant pops up on screen, does it mention shuffle in its response?

The first time I did it, Google asked me what app to use (so I tapped Poweramp), and the next time it just launched PA immediately. The voice recognition screen showed only the words I spoke, .such as "Shuffle ABBA" or "Shuffle Meatloaf" for example, then the assistant thingy spoke "OK" and the music started.

I don't think there's much to set in PA, it's all down the the external API, but you could have a look in Settings > Headset/Bluetooth > Last Processed Commands to see what commands PA has received.

Andre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

The first time I did it, Google asked me what app to use (so I tapped Poweramp), and the next time it just launched PA immediately. The voice recognition screen showed only the words I spoke, .such as "Shuffle ABBA" or "Shuffle Meatloaf" for example, then the assistant thingy spoke "OK" and the music started.

I don't think there's much to set in PA, it's all down the the external API, but you could have a look in Settings > Headset/Bluetooth > Last Processed Commands to see what commands PA has received.

Andre

That's probably because I've turned off voice talking back to me all the time.

I've looked in the Bluetooth section. I wouldn't of thought to look here, as Google Assistant isn't really dependent on bluetooth or headsets.

Here's the last command:

10:12:32.303 DataCmdExecutor handleSearchAndPlay
obj=
android.intent.extra.user_query_language=en-GB String
query=Aerosmith String
android.intent.extra.REFERRER_NAME=android-app://com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox/https/www.google.com String
android.intent.extra.user_query=shuffle Aerosmith String
android.intent.extra.focus=vnd.android.cursor.item/* String
android.intent.extra.title=Aerosmith String

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is what I get:

17:58:51.009 DataCmdExecutor handleSearchAndPlay
obj=android.media.action.MEDIA_PLAY_FROM_SEARCH 
    android.intent.extra.artist=ABBA String
    processed=true Boolean
    query=ABBA String
    android.intent.extra.REFERRER_NAME=android-app://com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox/https/www.google.com String
    KEY_HANDOVER_THROUGH_VELVET=true Boolean
    android.intent.extra.focus=vnd.android.cursor.item/artist String

 

which is slightly different to your results (I'm using Android 6.0.1 by the way)

Andre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, andrewilley said:

This is what I get:

17:58:51.009 DataCmdExecutor handleSearchAndPlay
obj=android.media.action.MEDIA_PLAY_FROM_SEARCH 
    android.intent.extra.artist=ABBA String
    processed=true Boolean
    query=ABBA String
    android.intent.extra.REFERRER_NAME=android-app://com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox/https/www.google.com String
    KEY_HANDOVER_THROUGH_VELVET=true Boolean
    android.intent.extra.focus=vnd.android.cursor.item/artist String

 

which is slightly different to your results (I'm using Android 6.0.1 by the way)

Andre

I'm on Android 8.0.0/

I may be able to try with and earlier Android version later just to confirm I get the same result as you there.

I find it funny that the shuffle doesn't work for me and yet my log is the only one that mentions shuffle!

Anyone out there with Android 8 who can check voice shuffle behaviour...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tried on Android 6.0.1.

Same behaviour as 8.0.0, except the voice control keeps trying to search the web instead of performing actions. Took me ages to get it to accept "Shuffle Aerosmith" but eventually I got this:

20:40:55.283 DataCmdExecutor handleSearchAndPlay
obj=android.media.action.MEDIA_PLAY_FROM_SEARCH
android.intent.extra.artist=Aerosmith String
com.google.android.apps.gsa.shared.util.starter.IntentStarter.USE_TRANSITION=2 Integer
processed=true Boolean
query=Aerosmith String
android.intent.extra.REFERRER_NAME=android-app://com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox/https/www.google.com String
android.intent.extra.focus=vnd.android.cursor.item/artist String

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All of which proves that Google's voice command system is still 50% science that's not ready yet, and 50% voodoo magic that defies any reasonable explanation.

Andre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had to pick thee OH up from the airport yesterday so was able to give Poweramp and voice control a good try out. It's safer than faffing with the screen even if it is a bit temperamental.  Still will not shuffle no matter what I try.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It works differently across languages, Android versions, Assistant versions, Android Auto/just Assistant/Chromecast variants. For Auto, phrases can be shorter and it seems to keep music app context better.

But "Shuffle <Artist> in Poweramp" in US English via (basic) Google Assistant definitely works (though all the latest versions, Android 9/latest available Assistant). Poweramp sees that "shuffle" word and enables shuffle mode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, maxmp said:

It works differently across languages, Android versions, Assistant versions, Android Auto/just Assistant/Chromecast variants. For Auto, phrases can be shorter and it seems to keep music app context better.

But "Shuffle <Artist> in Poweramp" in US English via (basic) Google Assistant definitely works (though all the latest versions, Android 9/latest available Assistant). Poweramp sees that "shuffle" word and enables shuffle mode.

It doesn't work for me. 

If I say "Hey Google, Shuffle Rush" then GA displays:

"shuffle Rush"

"Sure, asking Poweramp to play Rush"

Here's what shows in the Bluetooth log. The word shuffle is definitely there and passed to Poweramp, but the songs are just added alphabetical by title.

19:41:57.595 DataCmdExecutor handleSearchAndPlay
obj=
android.intent.extra.user_query_language=en-GB String
query=Rush String
android.intent.extra.REFERRER_NAME=android-app://com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox/https/www.google.com String
android.intent.extra.user_query=shuffle Rush String
android.intent.extra.focus=vnd.android.cursor.item/* String
android.intent.extra.title=Rush String

But If I say "shuffle songs" then GA displays:

"shuffle songs"

"ok"

and it does queue up everything shuffled.

This is on build 820 on Android 8.0.0.

If you have any suggestions I'd appreciate it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×