PowerAMP v2.0 Beta 1

admin

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tablet Support!

Max, could you please improve support for tablets? I have installed this on a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1" and Poweramp seems just stretched as in previous version. Buttons are as big as on my Sansung Galaxy S II smartphone. The font is of the same size as on the phone and can barely read the track title and other info. On the phone, there is not enough space for the UI and on the tablet, too much space is unused/wasted.

Thanks,

How can you play a music folder in shuffle mode like the old times? Lomg press don't show play anymore

Firstly, select the songs/lists shuffle option on the player screen, then pick any track from your chosen folder (from the folders, not library list) and it should play the rest in a random order.

I have been a paid user of Poweramp for a while now and was elated to find this. I just installed over the previous version on my mytouch4g and my Asus transformer.

On my Asus transformer tablet I'm getting force close when I select library>all songs, I get force close! Wouldn't be a problem if I didn't have so many unknown artist in my library.

Great update though! Lock screen and sound quality are AWESOME!

I have a problem.

When you turn off the screen the player resets. The problem is definitely on the side of the player because it restored the phone to factory settings and changed the system to another.

Also, uninstall it and install again.

My phone: HTC Hero with Android 2.2 (also tested at 2.3.5)

I have the same problem, also with an HTC Hero but running CyanogenMod 7.1

I have found a bug in the Lock Screen, if you try to set a rating, the rating is set for the file, but the rating continues to show the rating you chose for the song until you go in Poweramp AND another song is playing...

Another issue I had (still related to the ratings) is that after removing my sdcard with all my songs on it, I lost all the ratings that I had set in Poweramp... Is there any plan to save the rating directly to the music files ?

Thanks and keep up the good work, this player is really cool and getting better :-D

Since version 2, I've some lag. If i turn up the volume for example, there's a delay between pressing the button and the volume change. The same for pressing the play button, when I press it the music starts playing later. And stopping music the same. Is this a setting or is it a bug? Becauser other players work perfectly and don't have this problem. I've a Samsung Galaxy S.

I'm also getting the same volume button delay, if anything I'd say when i increase the volume it goes down slightly then up to the volume I requested. I have not noticed any problems with the play button as yet. I too have a Galaxy S running Android 2.3

Another Possible Bug

I'm also seeing a possible issue with the hierarchical view of my folders. I have an amazon mp3 folder which sits on my phone's internal SD card and I have a "music2 folder that sits on my external SD card. in v1.4 both these appeared at the same level in the hierarchical view, now I am only seeing the amazon mp3 folder. To access all my music I have to come out of the hierarchical view to see the folders on my external SD card :-(

antcodd

For Replay Gain, Foobar2000 is a reference for Poweramp, i.e. Foobar2000 created RG info should be readable by Poweramp (Foobar2000 is closer to standards where they exist). But RG tagging is different across formats.

Have you considered also supporting the mp3gain versions of the replaygain tags? This is another one of the major replaygain implementations, and is free (GPL). Please take a look at the sourceforge page here. Also see here for an explanation of how mp3gain differs (note that the comments about APE tags are no longer true, modern mp3gain implementations support both APE and ID3 tags depends on the user's personal preferece).

I am not sure if it is due to the fact that I am using mp3gain instead of foobar, but my songs are practically inaudible even at maximum volume when peak normalization is enabled.

I have 2 folders with alot of mixed music. None of these track have any album title tags, so that i dont get a whole ton of albums with 1-2 tracks in the library.

In the previous version, these folders (say we call them, "Trance" and "Metal") would show up as an album itself in the library view. This is not the case for 2.0.

In 2.0, both of these folders are thrown in an album called "Unknown Album".

Now, im sure this is as intended, but an option to make these folders count as an album, like the previous version would be nice, as i am currently forced to ude the folder view to not get these 2 folders mixed up.

I love the new look of the app, right now I'm having trouble with folder selection when I select music folder I get the prompt for Folders Selection and "Loading" and it just keeps spinning, I never get the option to select which folders I want Poweramp to put in its music library.

edit: Disregard it eventually did show me the folders. Thanks.

First post on here so hoping I have put this in the right area of the forum. I wasn't sure whether to post this in the v2 beta topic or create its own topic.

Only thing holding me back from updating to the beta is the lack of 2x4 widget, as I use it on my home screen, so waiting for the final. But as there are so many features I am looking forward to in this build I have come so close to upgrading.

I have tried to find out more info on how the star ratings are stored. I believe they are stored in the music files themselves as a tag?? I have posted a question on XDA developers in the galaxy S2 forum asking if anyone would know how to sync the star ratings both ways from media center and my Poweramp.

I use media center at home to play back music with all tracks marked as five stars as default, then when I play back my favourites I down grade the star rating if I don't like the track. What I would love is to then sync only the 4 and 5 star tracks (which includes the defaulted 5 star rating tracks) and when I play back on my phone I can also downgrade the star ratings in Poweramp when a song comes on I don't like. Then have the star rating sync both ways when I plug it back into my computer so next time I sync my music it removes the tracks I don't really like on my phone.

Firstly, select the songs/lists shuffle option on the player screen, then pick any track from your chosen folder (from the folders, not library list) and it should play the rest in a random order.

This doesn't solve the problem thogh, since you might want to shuffle songs from a category of music across different folders, such as "genre". The 1.4 solution was better.

A small update about two bugs I found a couple days ago and both have reappeared more than a few times:

1. Sometimes, while seeking on a track, it stutters like an old CDJ 200..!!! That sure would sound cool IF you were expecting it, but it sounds horrendous when you're not.

2. There are pops and pauses in audio for no apparent reason. No notification caused pause, just a random one. It has happened quite a few times.

I'm on a Galaxy S i9003 running 2.3.4.

So far, I have found the new version excellent in virtually all respects.

One small, cosmetic bug: when the application is set to open to the library, and the option to hide the status bar enabled, the folders/player/library buttons are hidden from view. Pressing the menu key, then back will cause the buttons to display correctly. Disabling the option to hide the status bar prevents the problem from occurring. My device is a SE Xperia X10, which has a screen resolution of 480 x 854.

I notice that it appears that ratings are stored locally: the program does not detect my existing ratings, and if I set ratings within the program, this is not reflected in the files if I copy them to another device. Is there any possibility that an option to read from and store ratings to the popularimeter (POPM) ID3 tag may be implemented in the future?

Not sure if this has come up yet

firstly great to have this looking good, and sounding great on my Galaxy Tab 10.1.

I have only found one major bug, allowing that this a Beta 1 version, and that is that when I try to scroll down any long list, it FCs immediately.

I have 2 folders with alot of mixed music. None of these track have any album title tags, so that i dont get a whole ton of albums with 1-2 tracks in the library.

In the previous version, these folders (say we call them, "Trance" and "Metal") would show up as an album itself in the library view. This is not the case for 2.0.

In 2.0, both of these folders are thrown in an album called "Unknown Album".

PowerAMP (both 1.x and 2.0) has extended support for Folders playing, this is specifically for the cases when tags are not existent or wrong or folder structure is just preferred. This is why PowerAMP 2.0 doesn't use Android system scanner/library approach of using folder name as album name for songs without album tag (this approach is also bad for singles).

I have tried to find out more info on how the star ratings are stored. I believe they are stored in the music files themselves as a tag?? I have posted a question on XDA developers in the galaxy S2 forum asking if anyone would know how to sync the star ratings both ways from media center and my poweramp.

PowerAMP v2.0 stores ratings just in own database. Sync. with song tags (id3 tag/mp4 atom) is planned for one of the next releases.

Thanks!

Jorge.us

Playlist importing is supposed to be used quite rarely. PowerAMP doesn't use system library anymore, thus, system library playlists are not available for PowerAMP:

1. System library can have files outside PowerAMP music folders.

2. PowerAMP can add CUE tracks, various "non-standard" formats like APE and WV to playlists. Obviously these can't be added (or exported back) to system playlists.

May be there will be some advanced playlist sharing with the system library (if I get more user requests for this), but anyway, due to the isolated PowerAMP library, such playlist sharing won't be ever complete; and indeed it will be very confusing for non-advanced users, thus, it will be quite hidden.

As of now, I only have one question: When will the stable version be out? I know the first post says "mid-October", but does that mean on the 15th or a few days after that?

There is a trade off - release early, but with missing features/bugs VS release delayed, but complete. At this moment I'm choosing the second path as I don't have any pressing constraints to go with missing features/bugs release. Anyway, PowerAMP v2.0 feature set is complete (for beta 2), and any other requests will be considered for v2.1.

Thus, initial "October 15" transforms into "October XX", but with the user requests implemented. For example, in beta 2 we have extra features like:

- animated list change gestures (up/down)

- widgets configuration (transparency, background color, shadows)

- lock screen slide unlock

- new equalizer/tone layout (no more scrolling, volume knob is back)

Zigor

Atrix Fingerprint lock screen is "secure" lock screen. It's not advised to bypass such lock screens by 3rd party apps due to the security constraints, nor it would work reliable, as lock screen functionality/APIs are very unstable and can change dramatically with any OTA update.

- When disconnecting the Bluetooth headset (turning headunit off), PowerAmp switches briefly to black album art and "no media loaded" before showing song and album art again

PowerAMP is forced to reload its Audio Engine completely to avoid Android 2.3 bug which freezes Android audio track on bluetooth disconnection/connection. This can be briefly visible as "track not loaded".

I have a curiosity. Why does it have an "update widget" service running in the background even if I don't have a widget on the homescreen? The 1.x version didn't have this even if I had a widget active? Is this going to be in the final version?

In PowerAMP v2.0 widget updating code is decoupled from main service. This is internal component which is required for normal PowerAMP functionality, though, in Beta1 it's not unloaded in 5 seconds after main service death, as it should do.

When swiping through the songs, loading of the album art often takes up to 0,5-1s, so you see the poweramp logo before the actual album art loads. I only have embedded album arts for each song. This is more a cosmetic issue, however in 1.4 this worked flawlessly.

PowerAMP uses slide animation for songs within one list (folder/album or large lists like all songs, most played, queue, etc).

When list is changed, there is a fade animation.

Also, animation is not delayed, i.e. when track is changed, animation is started immediately, even if Album art image is not loaded yet (not found in tags, not loaded from internet or sd card, etc).

Direct Unlock doesn't work. Still getting to the system unlock screen instead of main menu/Poweramp.

On some buggy ROMs (I consider ignoring the feature, clearly specified in Android API documentation, as a bug) Direct Unlock won't work.

Library->Artists->Add to Playlist: when there are several albums by the artist, the songs in the created playlist are seemingly randomly sorted. In v1.4, the songs are sorted in the order of the albums. One would hope that in v2.0 the order of the albums in the playlist would honor the order configured for Library->Artists->Artists.

When Artist is directly added to playlist, All Artist Songs are added (in the sort order specified for such All Artists Songs via List Opts, by default it's Title). You can still get the old behavior by selecting all Albums inside Artist list with menu => Add to playlist, then Select All.

DVC

Enabled Direct Volume Control means that PowerAMP controls the volume of its Audio Output by its own. This improves the available dynamic range for equalizer/tone and (on most tested devices/roms) also the volume. The feature is available only on Android 2.3+ devices which has the appropriate support for Volume control in ROMs.

Though, some phones, while having DVC supported, can still mess strangely with volume when DVC is enabled.

SGS2, for example, uses sort of additional indirect analog amplification for headphone output, which can't be controlled by PowerAMP, thus, volume ramp is a bit different there for PowerAMP + DVC, still, the maximum volume level for SGS2 is higher with DVC than without it.

Generally, DVC will provide better audio quality where supported, but still, due to the extremely high variety in Android devices, hardware, ROMs, drivers, etc. your mileage can vary and it's always possible to disable DVC to find out if it will sound better with DVC off.

- Least Recently Played ( similar to recenly played, only it takes from the bottom of the stack rather the top - great for revisitig music you've not played in a while ).

- Least Played ( again, similar to Most Played, but from the bottom ).

You can "reverse" sorting in these (and almost any other lists) with List Opts => Reverse to get desired results.

Is it possible to get the lyrics over top of the Album Art on the player screen again?

PowerAMP 2.0 added a lot of functionality to album art area. With this added, lyrics "widget" over album art is not more appropriate as it overcomplicates this area. Still, I'm thinking about returning this option (at least, lyrics from tags), but in some non cluttered way.

Rolled back to the previous version....the mids are better in 1.4 version and the bass is cleaner,not overwhelmed like in 2.b.

You can always fine-tune knobs to reduce the bass level or raise mids, but also you can switch DVC mode off, this will revert Poweramp Audio Engine back to code/settings used in 1.4 (except for added balance/stereo x and limiter, but when these are off, the output is equal to PowerAMP v1.4).

PowerAMP v2.0 actually has 4 audio engines: DVC neon optimized, DVC non-neon optimized, non-DVC neon optimized, non-dvc non-neon optimized. While you can't switch between neon and non neon versions, you can control DVC mode with PowerAMP Audio Engine Settings.

4 Audio Engines are required just because of the huge Android fragmentation, each fragment requires own optimized solution.

Playlist Import (again)

I still don´t agree with the decision to stop to use system playlist.

The system playlist are being used in version 1.4 without any problem and making more powerfull the Poweramp.

The Poweramp playlists can be used for they own features and who wants , in a advanced use, can use the system playlist (and also the Poweramp playlist).

You have the choice to make options to use one or other way. Your choice can be the default. You can hide this option just for advanced users. You can update the system playlist (not create a new at each importing), etc...There are a lot of ways to keep the two options.

But just import a system playlist kill a lot of advanced features, like import from other Android App and some PC Players.

And I am full using this features with the 1.4 version. I saw, in this forum, some reply saying "I don´t find my playlist anymore..."

The people are having troubles with this importing and don´t know what is happening.

The version 2 is a wonderful new player, better then Ipod, in my opinion.

But I don´t want to loose the 1.4 version good features. (and we are loosing this and some others 1.4 version good features with this new version).

Thanks for your attention

Jorge.rs

Had a crash fetching lyrics but otherwise it's working good.

I think it's amazing, love the grid art visualization, but would it be possible to add "order by artist name" in Albums lib? I love to view my lib with albums art grid but it does make sense to me to order them by artist name so albums of the same artist can be grouped together :D

Archived