PowerAMP v2.0 Beta 1

admin

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you so much for 2.0! A great improvement and it runs fine.

There is one thing though: I miss the option to long press a genre/artist/album/folder/etc and choose shuffle, thereby shuffling a category of music. With the 2.0 beta I need to add a genre/album/artist/folder/etc to queue to do the same thing.

The problem is: If I add an entire genre to queue, there might be hundreds of track in it, and I never listen to all of them.

So whenever I want to change category to shuffle i need to go into queue and erase queue before finding whatever new category of music I want to shuffle. It adds a lot of extra browsing compared to the 1.x version.

Or is there any other solution? What I want is an easy way to shuffle a category (genre/album/folder/artist/etc) of music, and change categories whithout to much hassle.

I completely agree with huheeje. The Play and Shuffle buttons in 1.x work very well and there's no reason to remove them. The queue function sometime requires additional steps to do the same thing.

This beta is a solid indication that Poweramp 2.0 might just be the music player app for Android.

As an avid CD/LP collectioner also maintaining a humongous digital archive in foobar2000, thorougly tagged (I even have custom tags for the reissue year, media, special mastering like MFSL and transliterated artist/album/title fields, if need apply), I find the addition of ReplayGain most welcome. Honestly, it was the only thing that I have considered missing. And it works just fine, too.

Currently testing on the LG GT540 Swift/Optimus running stock Android 2.1, here's my thoughts so far:

• The Cover Flow-like album art animation tends to lag (already mentioned in one of the previous posts here).
  • Also, when rapidly swiping album art, the player does not keep up, sometimes starts playing the same song twice, sometimes mixes up album art for a few seconds. This does not happen when switching songs using the controls.
  • The headset button (standard issue OEM LG earphones, tried them out today after having the phone for over a year, just to test the functionality) can only start and stop playback. The thing in the settings, double and triple press? Doesn't work.
  • My biggest pet peeve with, presumably, all portable music players on the market today - the complete ignoring of the album artist tag. Take Johnny Cash's album "At San Quentin". There's tracks by Carl Perkins, The Statler Brothers, The Carter Family, Johnny Cash with someone, etc. In library/artists, the tracks are scrambled all over. I stick to using folder view, but still, would be nice to have a standardised, functional library finally implemented by someone, somewhere.
  • The above also applies to compilation albums. I use "VA" in the album artist field, the library completely ignores it. While the tracks are listed as belonging to the same album, they aren't marked as a compilation, but rather one of the artists is displayed as the album artist.
  • The uproar about genre field splitting is absolutely valid in my opinion. Usage of forward slash as a separator has been known to cause multiple issues (AC/DC, anybody?) and is no longer as of ID3v2.4. A semicolon, on the other hand, is the de facto standard used by many players, including foobar2000, which you have mentioned to look up to.
  • And even though I personally use the semicolon when applying multiple genres, they aren't split in the beta. I get something like "Cold Wave:Minimal:Synth". Where the colon character comes from, I have no idea.
  • Where did the "Play All" button go?

Hope this helps, eagerly awaiting the full release!

A few more issues I found with Beta 1:

When swiping through the songs, loading of the album art often takes up to 0,5-1s, so you see the Poweramp logo before the actual album art loads. I only have embedded album arts for each song. This is more a cosmetic issue, however in 1.4 this worked flawlessly. <- SD card too slow? For me, changing songs is simultanous to loading album art, I might go so far as to say it is faster than in 1.4

Pause on bluetooth disconnect doesn't work. <- works for me, Desire HD

Direct Unlock doesn't work. Still getting to the system unlock screen instead of main menu/Poweramp. <- works for me too, Desire HD

In the meantime I also had a few crashes, I think when Poweramp tried to switch to another song, but can't duplicate it.

But that's what you might expect from a beta, that it doesn't run completely stable yet.

However, keep on your good work. I'm sure you'll fix all the issues for the final.

Since version 2, I've some lag. If i turn up the volume for example, there's a delay between pressing the button and the volume change. The same for pressing the play button, when I press it the music starts playing later. And stopping music the same. Is this a setting or is it a bug? Becauser other players work perfectly and don't have this problem. I've a Samsung Galaxy S.

Hi,

I wasn't able to wait, I installed the beta1 and purchased the unlocker, so far so good :D

As I previously stated, I had hard time finding something to complain about but I finally found a very small thing so here it is.

In the main interface, when you Pause the music, the time counter at bottom left blinks and pressing it resets the counter to 0:00 which I like a lot. When using the lock screen frontend, the counter still blinks on Pause but can't be pressed anymore.

Yep, that's the only thing I complain about Poweramp because except that, this app is absolutely brilliant :-)

Did Poweramp warned/confirmed deletion with the number of files to be deleted? If you have all your music in given folder and you're deleting the folder, you can end with all music deleted, still Poweramp will warn before the deletion and show the number of files to be deleted from SD card.

No! It was clearly a bug. I deleted a single track while listening to it via the menu key (not in the list of music but at player, menu, more, delete). Then, as described, it didnt skipped as usual in 1.4 but kept playing the song and the "deleting..." stood there for 30sek, the app crashed and all the music was gone. Just the songs, the folders and covers etc. remained. There wasnt any question about multiple files to delete, just the usual for a single one. I dont know if its reproducible i didnt tried deleting since, but maybe i will after backing up.

Bug

Poweramp does not seem to cede AVCR control to some multimedia apps. In version 1.x when I pause, even when I start the Galaxy S II's stock video player, the later would automatically takes control. Now, I have to manually stop Poweramp, otherwise, Poweramp continues playing music in the background and holding AVCR control.

Max, please fix this, as this is a serious issue.

I am sure you have the Samsung Galaxy S II, so you can reproduce this annoying issue.

Thanks,

Did Poweramp warned/confirmed deletion with the number of files to be deleted? If you have all your music in given folder and you're deleting the folder, you can end with all music deleted, still Poweramp will warn before the deletion and show the number of files to be deleted from SD card.

I am in the same boat as Ysta. I attempted to delete a single track while it was playing, which had done several times before. Poweramp got stuck and crashed. When it reopened there was nothing in my library. So I tried a rescan and it found nothing. After searching my memory card I realized every song in my Poweramp library was gone leaving the folders and some .pamp files.

This is a major bug! I understood the risks of a beta but this is a little bit ridiculous.

Does anybody know how to recover them? I too have no idea which songs were on it.

maxmp, Where is the crash log file so I can send it to you? (In a frenzy I declined to send it when the crash happened :()

Lastly, Thanks for the app.

I love it but will be staying away from the beta and the next version unless this is confirmed to be fixed!

Hi!

Maybe this is not a bug but improvement...

First scenario: on Moto Atrix MB860 Poweramp lock screen hides only Android/Motorola lock screen so when I swipe my finger on fingerprint sensor it unlocks device, but Poweramp lock screen is still visible (and I must hit "Unlock" button). It would be nice when using the fingerprint sensor it unlocks both of lock screens (Poweramp and Android/Motorola lock screens). Second scenario is freshly after wake up the screen, when I hit "Unlock" button (without using the fingerprint sensor before) it shows me Motorola/Android lock screen, but this scenario is highly desirable. Generally the PoweAMP lock screen is working good and unlocking with finger is not necessary.

on a motorola xoom, how do i add my memory card to the list of folders to scan? the scanner lists everything on the sdcard, which is the internal storage but not for external1, the actual sdcard. in the previous version, clicking on Library then Albums, would show the content on my memory card. but now it doesnt. will this be foxed?

Hi,

I'm using a QVGA (320x240) device. In the landscape mode, the knobs for Treble & Stereo X overlap, with the latter being the one I can turn.

Also, I think you already know this, but it's not gonna hurt to mention: the 'Albums by Artist' list isn't exactly listed as 'Albums by Artist'. Instead, it's exactly like the 'Albums' list, but without the album art (I see a blank CD, the default icon, I guess, instead.)

Hi im a long time Poweramp user and have loved it since day one.

Im loving the new portrait look and feel bit think the old style of landscape was better. Especially when docked in landscape.

I installed straight over previous market version and everything seems to have imported nicely except the widget obviously. Was using 4x2 and it just remained on the launcher as invisible. Im sure won't be a problem down the track.

Also recognized the previous purchase unlock flawlessly.

Great work.

BUG

It looks like Poweramp 2b1 doesn't know how to deal with multidisk sets. I tried a 3-disk set that PAPro1.4 could resolve fine, but PA2b1 can't. I even tried variations of the multidisc ID3 tag to see if I could coax it, but no go. I suspect it's not even examining that tag, since getting info on a track from that set displays only minimal tag data. This makes this beta of PA2 rather untenable, since maybe a quarter of my music is from multidisk sets. :(

Other than that, I like most of the changes and additions, even though I've experienced a couple of the other bugs mentioned in this thread.

I'm using a Thunderbolt with AOSP Gingerbread, by the way. Music is VBR MP3.

PLAYLISTS IMPORT IN BETA 2!!!

It´s not a good solution !

Because:

1- If I want to add one playlist more I import all my playlist again. (Rock , Rock 1 , Rock 2 .....Party, Party 1, Party 2...)

2- To import playlist I need to go to the settings menu e sub-menus.

3- I lost the playlist automatic integration with others softwares (like Playlist Builder or "like Ipod Genius" MixZing Playlist ).

Everything is good enough or excellent in beta 2 version. It´s possible to use it immediately (don´t need to wait the official version).

But the Playlist importing is terrible.

Jorge

No! It was clearly a bug. I deleted a single track while listening to it via the menu key (not in the list of music but at player, menu, more, delete). Then, as described, it didnt skipped as usual in 1.4 but kept playing the song and the "deleting..." stood there for 30sek, the app crashed and all the music was gone. Just the songs, the folders and covers etc. remained. There wasnt any question about multiple files to delete, just the usual for a single one. I dont know if its reproducible i didnt tried deleting since, but maybe i will after backing up.

I used Recuva (free) to recover my deleted songs! It worked (mostly) so I have my songs back. Some are corrupted but at least I know what they were.

GOD bless!

THANK YOU for the awsome upgrades!!!

installed it on a samsung i5800, promissing stuff!

maybe these bugs have been reported.

- a few glitches in the album art display especially when sliding to change song.

- do not know if this is suppose to be this way. if i set for shuffle, and repeat list, and i play all songs once, and reach the end (example: 256/256) if i try to slide the album art to go to the next song, it will not budge. wouldn't it be normal for it to loop back to one?

- i set for crossfade off, but the player still crossfaades when i slide the album art to jump to the next song. also there seems to be lag between the moment when the name of the song is loaded, and when it starts playing.

Looking forward to beta 2! :D

That would solve my problem too. It's impossible to please all of the people all of the time when you are talking about commonly-accessed tasks, so best to let the users choose for themselves rather than choosing for them.

Any thoughts on this, Max? Several more people have said the new multi-level choices which appear when you press the Menu button are not as usable as the old system.

I'd have thought the simplest answer would be a short list of choices of which items appear on the first pop-up menu would be best and the easiest way to satisfy all the different ways people tend to use your product. Unless it is something that's already going to be in the skin editor?

I don't expect you to drop all other bug fixes to change this immediately of course, but a comment on whether you have put it on the fix-list would be appreciated.

Andre

Two bugs I found:

a) it keeps forgetting Shuffle and Repeat (Connect BT Headset, play music, disconnect BT headset, exit PA, connect BT headset, open PA, settings for shuffle and repeat gone)

b ) I stand corrected, auto resume on BT headset connect indeed is a bit wonky, sometimes it just plays 1s and pauses again!

Archived