Wrong FLAC genres in library

dac10012

I have Poweramp Full Version on my Samsung Galaxy S9. For some reason, the FLAC files are listed in the wrong genre in my library. I have edited the tags in Poweramp but the genres I choose for FLAC files do not correspond to the genres they are listed in my library, although they are correct when I look at each album and file individually. I have even tried to edit the tags in mp3 tag and MediaMonkey but there is no fix. This is not a problem in other music players, only Poweramp. The genres Poweramp is using for these files seem to be retrieved from the Internet or default genres for these files/artists, such as Big Band, Easy Listening, Blues Rock, Singer/Songwriter, Vocal, none of which do I use. How do I turn these off and use the genres I select? BTW, this is not happening with mp3s, only FLAC files.

9 hours ago, dac10012 said:

I have Poweramp Full Version on my Samsung Galaxy S9. For some reason, the FLAC files are listed in the wrong genre in my library. I have edited the tags in Poweramp but the genres I choose for FLAC files do not correspond to the genres they are listed in my library, although they are correct when I look at each album and file individually. I have even tried to edit the tags in mp3 tag and MediaMonkey but there is no fix. This is not a problem in other music players, only Poweramp. The genres Poweramp is using for these files seem to be retrieved from the Internet or default genres for these files/artists, such as Big Band, Easy Listening, Blues Rock, Singer/Songwriter, Vocal, none of which do I use. How do I turn these off and use the genres I select? BTW, this is not happening with mp3s, only FLAC files.

You could try Settings > Library > Full Scan . If the problem persists, could you provide a ( small ) example ?

2 minutes ago, dac10012 said:

No joy. The song Dress Rehearsal Rag.flac by Leonard Cohen is tagged as Folk Rock under genre but shows up in my Poweramp library as Singer/Songwriter. It is too large to attach.

Could you have a look at the file with a tag editing tool ? Perhaps there a multiple tags.

Have you tried a Full Rescan? PA does not fetch genre info from the internet for songs that don't have them, so it must be getting them from somewhere in the files.

Might be worth trying MediaInfo on a PC, or even ExifTool. The latter is mainly designed for photos, but its very capable of showing all tags for music files too - for viewing tags I use the command-line format exiftool.exe -k -s -e -G -api largefilesupport=1 drive:\path\filename.ext

If you want to provide a sample file, share a link via something like Dropbox or Google Docs.

Andre
[Double-posted threads merged]

Full Rescan no joy. MediaInfo shows my Folk Rock genre (not Poweramp library Singer/Songwriter genre) in Snagit screen capture sheet view. BTW, if there were multiple genre tags, would they all be listed next to Genre, with commas separating each? Just curious.

image.thumb.png.7a910d5c2a96ca651175cbbced397c8d.png

Since I get the correct genre everywhere but Poweramp (including tag editors like mp3tag and TagScanner and other media players like GoneMAD Music Player and MediaMonkey Music Manager), I am thinking there is a bug for FLAC files in Poweramp. Where would I send a Dropbox file?

That file shows correctly in Poweramp for me as genre "Folk Rock", and there is no "Singer/Songwriter" genre showing in the list. There is also no "Singer/Songwriter" tag that I can see in any file info program. 

All I can think it that at some time that genre tag must have been applied to that song title, and somehow even after a full rescan it is sticking. The next thing would be to try deleting App Data for Poweramp and let it start from fresh, or uninstall/reinstall the app. Remember to export any internal Poweramp Playlists first, and also Export Settings if you need to.

Andre

I uninstalled and reinstalled Poweramp, no change. As mentioned, there are other FLAC songs that are in the wrong genre category in Poweramp, although when I look at each song tag the genre is correct. This appears to me to be a bug.

It seems to be related to your device though, the same file is fine for me (both when scanning the file in Windows and viewing it in PA). The file itself is correct as far as I can tell, with only one genre tag, and that's how it shows in the Genre category list too. Somehow your device seems to be retaining old data. Maybe when you uninstall PA, check that the /Android/data/_com.maxmpz.audioplayer/ folder is fully cleared too?

Perhaps @maxmp could take a look at this?

Andre

No and this is not the only FLAC song miscategorized by genre in my Poweramp library. I have other songs with phantom genres like Big Band, Easy Listening, Blues Rock, and Vocal. None of these genres are in the tags.

Archived