Track Names Missing

jlgood50

Ever since one of the last updates, some of my music folders only show the first two tracks with the song names & the rest of the songs say track 3, track 4 etc. It doesn't matter if there are 20 songs in the folder or 50 songs. Everything used to be perfect, as all songs & artists were listed properly. Now it is difficult trying to play specific songs with no track name.. Any ideas before I seek a different music player? 

33 minutes ago, jlgood50 said:

Ever since one of the last updates, some of my music folders only show the first two tracks with the song names & the rest of the songs say track 3, track 4 etc. It doesn't matter if there are 20 songs in the folder or 50 songs. Everything used to be perfect, as all songs & artists were listed properly. Now it is difficult trying to play specific songs with no track name.. Any ideas before I seek a different music player? 

Do a Settings > Library > Full Rescan,  if that doesn't help completely deinstall and reinstall Poweramp.

For some people a removal / reformatting / reinstating of SD card helped.

Not sure exactly, I use WMA files for the songs, make the folder on the computer & drag them to the SD card on the phone. Everything has worked well up until recently. 

I Uninstaller & reloaded the App twice. Totally rescanned all the folders twice. Nothing changed.... Uninstalled again, installed Musicolet & it lists all track names.... I really want to keep Poweramp, but need to see the track names as I play music for groups on my tour bus... 

I don't think I've ever used a file sharing site.... Just an old guy that is just a little tech savvy....I think I had a Dropbox account a couple of years ago, but never used it so I think it is closed. It just seems strange that everything was working good. Most of my music files are purchased from ITunes & then I convert them to WMA files using Xillisoft premium file converter. 

As soon as I installed Musicolet, it listed all the track names properly, it can't be anything to do with the files. I have recommended Poweramp to all my bus passengers who only have the basic phone music player. 

Appreciate your help very much!! 

7 minutes ago, jlgood50 said:

As soon as I installed Musicolet, it listed all the track names properly, it can't be anything to do with the files. I have recommended Poweramp to all my bus passengers who only have the basic phone music player.  

Could you append one short example here in your answer ?

1 hour ago, jlgood50 said:

Most of my music files are purchased from ITunes & then I convert them to WMA files  

Why?

1 hour ago, jlgood50 said:

As soon as I installed Musicolet, it listed all the track names properly, it can't be anything to do with the files.

Unfortunately there are lots of reasons why that may not be true. It may just be that Musicolet is coping with non-standard files better than PA happens to.

Andre

The reason why I convert my music files to WMA, is because they seem to play & show the track name and artist on most car & bus radios. Some other formats only listed them as track 1 etc. I know to you guys that's a lame excuse, but it works for me. 

If there is a better file I should use, let me know. I think MP3 files should read on any player or vehicle radio, but I thought the compression would make the music not sound as good as WMA or WAV files. 

Please remember, I'm an old guy bumping 70, so I'm trying to learn some of this, new to me, tech stuff while making people happy listening to music. 

I'm not giving up on PA..... No way!! 

6 hours ago, jlgood50 said:

If there is a better file I should use, let me know. I think MP3 files should read on any player or vehicle radio, but I thought the compression would make the music not sound as good as WMA or WAV files. 

Once you have lossily compressed the files the harm is done, if there is any. Reconverting into lossless format afterwards won't help.

Please remember, I'm an old guy bumping 70, so I'm trying to learn some of this, new to me, tech stuff while making people happy listening to music. 

You can upload data into your answer in this forum, there is a link that you see while editing your message. Perhaps you can upload just one example ? There may be a limitation on the file size - use the shortest file you can find.

'WMA' is Microsoft's own audio compression file format, popularised by its use in Windows Media Player. If an audio file is already compressed (such as an iTunes download, which is probably in 'AAC' format which is Apple's own audio system - yes, another one :( ) then re-compressing to another format it can only make it sound worse. WAV is a completely uncompressed work format (but lacks decent information tagging support) but I'm betting you won't hear the difference between a WAV and a good MP3 file anyway. FLAC is a non-lossy compression system (sounds like WAV) but is only useful if the source material has never been compressed at all in the first place.

In future, it would probably better to simply get your music in MP3 format in the first place if you can, as this is generally the most widely compatible format of all In all compression systems, you can tell it how you want to set the quality as a trade-off between the fidelity of the music versus the size of the file. For MP3 I would not generally suggest going below a rate of about 128k, with 192k as a good general level. Some people go up as far as 320k, but for use in a phone I very much doubt you'll hear any improvement.

As @blaubär says, you can upload a small .wma file as an attachment to a message here (use the 'Choose Files' link just under the box where you type your message) but try to find one which is only a couple of megabytes long if you can.

Andre

Ok, guys, back from one trip, off on another 8 day trip tomorrow. I tried to attach a few song files on this page, but they were too large. I did open a Dropbox account and loaded a few song files for you to look at the files. How can I share them with you? 

https://www.dropbox.com/preview/Can't Help Myself.wma?role=personal

https://www.dropbox.com/preview/Chain Of Fools.wma?role=personal

https://www.dropbox.com/preview/Hold On. I'm Comin'.wma?role=personal

https://www.dropbox.com/preview/I Second That Emotion.wma?role=personal

I right clicked on the files & it said copy link, instead of "Dropbox link".There are 4 songs that come up as just the track number instead of the name of the song. Would it be OK to convert my entire library from WMA to MP3, or start over with ITunes converting to MP3?

23 minutes ago, jlgood50 said:

Would it be OK to convert my entire library from WMA to MP3, or start over with ITunes converting to MP3? 

Why convert at all ? Every lossy conversion decreases quality.

If your files have been created  losslessly in the first place, then it's ok to convert them once into a lossy format, what ever that is, as long as Poweramp can read it.

I right clicked on the files & it said copy link, instead of "Dropbox link".

Those are just local links to your personal Dropbox webpage, won't work for anyone not signed into your account. You need a public share link.

You seem to be using the website rather than a local Dropbox app on your PC, so in that case just click the Share button that you'll see when you hover over the filename on the webpage, and then Copy Link.

Andre

Archived