Sort album artist's albums by year.

LPW00

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

Hi @maxmp! Would it be possible to add a sort By Album with Year as an option when playing tracks inside the All Album Artist Songs?

Image below shows sort By Year in Reverse and how the Albums are correctly sorted outside the All Album Artist Songs.

Screenshot_20190707-122234_1.jpg

But when you go inside and choose to sort By Year, the tracks lined up alphabetically, which is opposed to their track#.

Screenshot_20190707-122433.jpg

Selecting sort By Album sets the tracks correctly by their track#, however, not according to the year they were supposed to be sorted or lined up.

Screenshot_20190707-122452.jpg

This is why a good combination of sort By Album + Year would be effective. Otherwise, the sort By Year can be tweaked, instead?

Image below should be as follows:

Delinquent Habits - Year 1996

Merry Go Round - 2001

Freedom Band - 2003

Screenshot_20190707-121938_1.jpg

Thank you for your awesome work!

Edited by andrewilley
Merged into existing thread discussing the exact same thing

15 hours ago, LPW00 said:

No. That is NOT the same. 

And what exactly do you want ?

On 2/8/2019 at 11:50 PM, LPW00 said:

An album artist's albums are currently sorted by alphabet.

You want to sort the albums of an album artist by year ? That is what one can do as I showed.

Or do you want to do a multiple  sort of all albums, first by Album artist, then by year ?

3 hours ago, blaubär said:

Or do you want to do a multiple  sort of all albums, first by Album artist, then by year ?

Exactly, that's it. I have the list "all albums" sorted by "album artist" and I want to keep that and I mostly try to solve the problem, that sometimes an album is titled "xyz" and the next album from that artist is "xyz 2" and then Poweramp lists "xyz 2" before "xyz". Especially (but not exclusively) for audio books, that sucks. (Of course, I could tag "xyz" as "xyz 1", but that's just wrong, it is not the real title of the album and it bugs me. This + the addition of this multiple sorting being a useful addition from other perspectives as well, made me request it.)

Sorry if my previous response came across as rude, but with my sometimes limited English skills it's kinda hard to explain what it is that I want and being therefore unable to get my point across is very frustrating.

IMG_20190707_185506.jpg

Edited by LPW00
Screenshot example

51 minutes ago, blaubär said:

That has been proposed with a generic sort functionality by @andrewilley , see above.

What r u trying to tell me with that? That I should've looked for others requesting the same before posting my own thread? If so I'd like to point out that andrewilley posted that in April, this thread is from February.

25 minutes ago, maxmp said:

Generally, I think you want secondary sort setting (there is a hidden secondary sort field already, for example, year + name for albums). This is quite possible, adding to the backlog. Thanks!

I'm not sure I understand, but possibly, yes. Yeah, I'm pretty sure.

I'll try to elaborate more on my request to further eliminate any possible misunderstandings, I wouldn't want u to waste ur time. 

I want that in the "albums" list/category, albums by Eminem are located at "E" so after deadmau5's and before Green Day's albums. And Eminem's albums should then be sorted by year so that the Slim Shady LP (1999) shows up before the Marshall Mathers LP (2000), even tho the "M" from "Marshall" alphabetically comes before the "S" from "Slim".

11 minutes ago, LPW00 said:

I want that in the "albums" list/category, albums by Eminem are located at "E" so after deadmau5's and before Green Day's albums. And Eminem's albums should then be sorted by year so that the Slim Shady LP (1999) shows up before the Marshall Mathers LP (2000), even tho the "M" from "Marshall" alphabetically comes before the "S" from "Slim". 

That would be a special application of a general feature that @andrewilley requested.

On 7/7/2019 at 7:54 PM, blaubär said:

That would be a special application of a general feature that @andrewilley requested.

Yes, that would be very simple to build using the user-customisable Library Category feature that I proposed. Using that feature proposal, you would simply choose your own sorting order for tags (Album Artist > Year > Album Title > Disc# > Track# would be good in this case) but not tick to set any of those levels as a 'grouping' level - so it would show the whole result as one long flat list of all songs. Optionally you could include some in-list subject breaks in you wanted, such as showing a small header divider for each new Album Artist name and/or Album Titles for example, to punctuate what would otherwise be a very long track list.

The way I envisioned such a feature, it ought to be possible to customise the heck out of pretty much any library view that you could possibly think of - either to duplicate an existing category but with minor display or sorting changes, or just build your own wacky alternatives. :) It's all just a blue-sky idea though unless Max thinks it's both desirable and implementable.

[Note: Two recent threads on the exact same question merged for easier following]

Andre

Thanks Andre. Didn't realize our requests were the "exact same thing" having read the two other posts before making one up. Anyhow, hope our samples were clear and that Max had responded it's in his backlog. Thanks everyone! 😎

What is planned short term is ability to add 2nd and may be 3rd level of sorting.

Custom categories are also planned, but they won’t be a hierarchy, they were planned as top level flat categories added by user with the specific filtering. Sorting is not directly related to this. Thanks!

53 minutes ago, maxmp said:

What is planned short term is ability to add 2nd and may be 3rd level of sorting.

Custom categories are also planned, but they won’t be a hierarchy, they were planned as top level flat categories added by user with the specific filtering. Sorting is not directly related to this. Thanks!

So with this would we be able to setup the Genre category so we could have an Artists list instead of Albums list?

• 2 months later...
On 7/8/2019 at 2:17 AM, maxmp said:

Generally, I think you want secondary sort setting (there is a hidden secondary sort field already, for example, year + name for albums). This is quite possible, adding to the backlog. Thanks!

On 7/12/2019 at 6:57 AM, maxmp said:

Hi @maxmp, bumping this thread. TIA. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 7/8/2019 at 2:17 AM, maxmp said:

On 7/11/2019 at 3:55 PM, andrewilley said:

Yes, that would be very simple to build using the user-customisable Library Category feature that I proposed. Using that feature proposal, you would simply choose your own sorting order for tags (Album Artist > Year > Album Title > Disc# > Track# would be good in this case) but not tick to set any of those levels as a 'grouping' level - so it would show the whole result as one long flat list of all songs. Optionally you could include some in-list subject breaks in you wanted, such as showing a small header divider for each new Album Artist name and/or Album Titles for example, to punctuate what would otherwise be a very long track list.

The way I envisioned such a feature, it ought to be possible to customise the heck out of pretty much any library view that you could possibly think of - either to duplicate an existing category but with minor display or sorting changes, or just build your own wacky alternatives. :) It's all just a blue-sky idea though unless Max thinks it's both desirable and implementable.

[Note: Two recent threads on the exact same question merged for easier following]

Andre

On 7/12/2019 at 6:57 AM, maxmp said:

Hi @maxmp! First, thank  you for your continuous, undying hard work. Many of us are very happy with the new features, bug fixes and you constant interaction here in the forum. Props to Andre 100% too!

Bumping this thread once again. ;)

• 2 months later...

So just to be clear, what you are asking about is not the normal drill-down method, but the flattened list of all songs by a given artist - and presumably you'd like that to apply to all artist-related categories too?

Currently, the drill-down system allows to you to sort artists By Name, then their albums By Year (which falls back to using alphabetical sorting within each specified year as I don't think PA currently supports extended yyyy-mm-dd date tags), and then the final songs-level listing can be set by Track#.

And you want to be able to do something similar with the flattened All Artist Songs view too, so the long list  for a given Artist can be sorted by Year first, then by album title within each year, then by Track# within each album.

Andre