"Play Next" Feature

So something I miss from the Google Play Music app is adding something to the queue after the current song, it was useful for adding songs or albums or even entire playlists into the queue. If, for example, I wanted to keep all the albums for a certain artist together in the queue and I forgot to add one before adding other songs, right now I'd have to add the album to the queue, then drag each song up the queue and drop it after the last album from that artist in order. I think this is a pretty easy feature to implement, and one that would improve quality of life by a lot. Thanks!

2 hours ago, WastedMeerkat said:

So something I miss from the Google Play Music app is adding something to the queue after the current song, it was useful for adding songs or albums or even entire playlists into the queue. If, for example, I wanted to keep all the albums for a certain artist together in the queue and I forgot to add one before adding other songs, right now I'd have to add the album to the queue, then drag each song up the queue and drop it after the last album from that artist in order. I think this is a pretty easy feature to implement, and one that would improve quality of life by a lot. Thanks!

When you add to the queue in Poweramp it is appended at its end. So that's what you wanted.

4 hours ago, blaubär said:

When you add to the queue in Poweramp it is appended at its end. So that's what you wanted.

I think the OP was asking for an option to add an item onto the queue at the start (so it plays after the current song), rather than being appended to the end as per current functionality. 

Andre

8 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

I think the OP was asking for an option to add an item onto the queue at the start (so it plays after the current song), rather than being appended to the end as per current functionality. 

Andre

Yes, you're right. We had that as a feature request - that could be done by introducing levels for the queue : the queue would then sort first by level, then first in first out.

45 minutes ago, w3wilkes said:

I think an option of "Enqueue Play Next" would do the job. This would insert whatever is selected (Album, song, whatever) into the current queue after the current song.

Yes, this would mean two queue buttons "next, first in queue" and "at the end, as it is now" instead of one button, where one would somehow have to give the number of the desired level.

36 minutes ago, blaubär said:

Yes, this would mean two queue buttons "next, first in queue" and "at the end, as it is now" instead of one button, where one would somehow have to give the number of the desired level.

I would have thought it could be included as a user-defined Setting - so that the Enqueue icon adds at Beginning or End of any already-existing queue.

Andre

4 hours ago, w3wilkes said:

It could also be a pop up when you click Enqueue. This would avoid squeezing in another option on the "what to do panel".

That would probably annoy most users who would then get an unwanted popup every time they tap the Enqueue button. Perhaps the available values in Settings for enqueue should be three-way, "Start", "End", or "Prompt".

Andre

10 hours ago, w3wilkes said:

Make it "Next", "End" or "Prompt" and I'm all in, with the exception of "If Queue empty - Add to Queue without Prompt"  Thanks!

That would make sense, no point in prompting needlessly.

@maxmp, any chance of adding this really minor but useful tweak? It's something that has been requested for some time in various threads.

Andre

• 1 year later...

I have been thinking about this function for a long time and only now I saw that it was discussed.
Is there a chance to see "Next", "End" or "Prompt" features in the future, or has this idea been rejected?

@maxmp Just found the "Play Next" setting for the queue in v879. Not quite what I'd imagined. I can't see going into settings and toggling this setting to play something next rather than adding it to the end of the queue. Seems that a much more useful implementation would be to give "Play Next" as an option when I long press on a Song / Album / Folder / etc.

I think the original idea from reading this thread was that any new option, such as Settings > Library > Queue > Enqueue Mode, would have three options: Insert at Start of Queue ; Add to End of Queue ; Prompt Each Time. Someone ( @w3wilkes ) sensibly suggested that the 'Prompt Each Time' mode wouldn't bother prompting unnecessarily if the queue was already empty (or finished). I don't see any need to change the add-to-queue wording shown in the long-press menu though, it might as well stay as the more obvious '>> Queue'.

Andre

@andrewilley @maxmp Since there's room in the long press dialog there could be ">>Queue" and ">>Queue Next". ">>Queue" would add to the end of the Queue and ">>Queue Next" would add the selection after the current song in the Queue. This way you don't need to be going into settings to manipulate Settings>Library>Queue> Enqueue Mode to toggle the setting depending on what you want to do when putting something in the Queue. From a usability perspective this seems much simpler than wading through settings for Queue manipulation.

Archived