123 members have voted

1. 1. Cast/Cloud

• Chromecast
    • Cloud (Dropbox, Drive) + DLNA source

This poll is closed to new votes

On 2/13/2019 at 8:40 PM, maxmp said:

A small update on Chromecast support development progress:

• basic functionality (streaming up to 24bit/96khz) is supported
    • Poweramp streams its processed output, not the track files. That means all formats are supported, but the phone is constantly busy with decoding and streaming over wifi
  • media receiver with proper track info/album art is supported (though not needed for Home/CC Audio, that's still displayed on standard CC + TV)
    • no progress bar/seekbar
  • gapless is supported
  • Poweramp EQ/DSP is supported
  • DVC is not supported
  • there is 2-3sec latency (mostly noticeable when equalizer settings are changed) and to reduce that to ~<1 sec, completely custom media receiver is required, which will be hard to support, so I've not decided yet if such latency is OK or not

Road to the complete glory!

Can't wait for this update! Keep up the good job @maxmp

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/13/2019 at 8:40 PM, maxmp said:

A small update on Chromecast support development progress:

• basic functionality (streaming up to 24bit/96khz) is supported
    • Poweramp streams its processed output, not the track files. That means all formats are supported, but the phone is constantly busy with decoding and streaming over wifi
  • media receiver with proper track info/album art is supported (though not needed for Home/CC Audio, that's still displayed on standard CC + TV)
    • no progress bar/seekbar
  • gapless is supported
  • Poweramp EQ/DSP is supported
  • DVC is not supported
  • there is 2-3sec latency (mostly noticeable when equalizer settings are changed) and to reduce that to ~<1 sec, completely custom media receiver is required, which will be hard to support, so I've not decided yet if such latency is OK or not

Great news ! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have been wondering if casting to DLNA renderers will eventually become a reality. I personally like Kodi so much and I have set up a small HTPC between my TV and my Hi-Fi system. I would love to cast my local songs to that system, and I am quite disappointed that now Poweramp can cast to Chromecast devices but not DLNA ones.

• 1 month later...

I just want to clarify.

Currently is it possible to cast to a DLNA device, in my case my my laptop running foobar which is running a media server?

As the cast option does not show up, I verified with my stock LG app that foobar's media server is working 

• 1 month later...

Well, I am forced to use Google Play Music, and then YouTube Music when switched for their massive upload of 100,000 songs for my s7 edge. So until their is actually cloud option for any kind of cloud storage, then I guess Poweramp will sit on the sidelines. Since, I just got hooked up with xFinity xFI and unlimited wifi while out walking, and no cut outs while streaming. So that is a better option so far for me. More music listening and choices is the way.

• 8 months later...
13 minutes ago, evic said:

May I please ask an update on the status of development for the 2nd place of this poll: stream from external sources such as GoogleDrive

You can already stream from external URLs in PA v3, such as ShoutCast and direct links to online MP3 files. However you can't use online storage sites such as Dropbox, Google Drive, etc. or locked subscription services like Spotify/etc.

Andre

Dear Andre,

Exactly what my question pertained to "stream from external sources such as GoogleDrive". Now that the winner in the poll (Chromecast) is implemented,  can you give me a timeline when the support for playing from Google Drive is to be expected? Thx.

As I said, streaming from some external sources (Shoutcast etc) is already supported, which is in answer to your question. However Google Drive is not. I have no idea of any kind of timescale for playback from large-scale external/online/cloud storage locations. It has been discussed here in the past, but as very much of a long-term project.  

Andre

• 3 months later...

Hi Andre,

Could you please give me update on the status of gDrive connection? I have 2TB of music on gDrive, and it is a real hassle having to keep downloading 200MB onto my phone just so I can play them with PA. Thank you.

51 minutes ago, evic said:

Could you please give me update on the status of gDrive connection? I have 2TB of music on gDrive, and it is a real hassle having to keep downloading 200MB onto my phone just so I can play them with PA. Thank you.

Max would be able to confirm the status of properly scanning cloud drive data (which requires fast seekable access to files) but some of the core elements have already been partly implemented in recent builds (from 862). See https://github.com/maxmpz/powerampapi/blob/master/poweramp_provider_example/readme.md for the technical details.

Andre

2 hours ago, Sharif-4 said:

would PA get full support for google assistant, 

Google Assistant voice command are supported, but how well they work can be a bit dependent on the Android and app versions.

For example, on my phone (and in the car via Android Auto) "Play Electric Light Orchestra in Poweramp" works fine to play all songs by ELO, as does "Play Confusion in Poweramp" for a single track. The "in Poweramp" may not be necessary if Assistant already knows PA is your default audio player.

Andre

5 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

Google Assistant voice command are supported, but how well they work can be a bit dependent on the Android and app versions.

For example, on my phone (and in the car via Android Auto) "Play Electric Light Orchestra in Poweramp" works fine to play all songs by ELO, as does "Play Confusion in Poweramp" for a single track. The "in Poweramp" may not be necessary if Assistant already knows PA is your default audio player.

Andre

On my android phone (LG G6) I can't seem to get PA to be the default music player, it doesn't show up in the options  

31 minutes ago, maxmp said:

@Sharif-4 Poweramp does support "Play xyz (song/album/artist) in Poweramp".

I just gave it a go, it does work, is there a way to set it as the default player? 

Edit

I was thinking about more deeper functions, such as turn tone off in power amp or turn limit on

Edited by Sharif-4

14 hours ago, andrewilley said:

For me, Android worked it out for itself after a few times of telling it to use PA in the command.

Andre

Perhaps the version of the google assistant on android 9 doesn't do that. Either way, thanks for the great app, have a good day

• 3 months later...