• Chromecast
    • Cloud (Dropbox, Drive) + DLNA source

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Could you possibly clarify a couple of things before people start voting on their preferences?

Would option (1) include other local streaming output devices/speakers (such as Sonos, Echo, etc), or would it ONLY be for Chromecast?

Would option (2) include local high capacity sources such as NAS drives on home wi-fi networks (with or without DLNA)? I'm assuming it would not include the more closed architectures such as Spotify and iTunes, but what about Amazon and Google Music?

Andre 

For the programmers: please have a look on the source code of the application "AirAudio" (requires root). With this really useful app you'll be able to cast your smartphone or tablet audio on all kind of receivers like Airplay, Chromecast, Sonos, DLNA etc. Awesome - trust me! 

I'm going to put my vote in for access to local network NAS music storage (although remote cloud streaming doesn't bother me much).

Yes, more output options would be nice, but as Chromecast Audio is effectively a dead product now anyway, I would want other outputs (Sonos/etc) rather than just Chromecast.

Andre

3 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

Yes, more output options would be nice, but as Chromecast Audio is effectively a dead product now anyway, I would want other outputs (Sonos/etc) rather than just Chromecast.

I think there is a miscomprehension here:

Chromecast should be not just a Chromecast Audio thing. @maxmp correct me if I'm wrong, but Google's Cast Protocol is the same across all devices and it would include Google Home, Chromecast, Android TV, Soundbars with Google Assistant and more stuff like this.

The only "challenge" is to deliver an UI to Chromecast (I don't really know if it is required to have Google's approval). With that done, it will be a cross-device thing, cause it's pretty much universal. 

4 hours ago, andrewilley said:

The chromcast protocol and functionallity is still very much allive. They just discontinued one hardware product, that's all. There are lots of google products and lots of other brands that have chromecast built in. Brands like NAD, Pioneer and Onkyo have amplifiers on the market with chromecast support. Still you reach a huge audience when this is supported. It used to be Sonos, nowadays it's airplay for apple users and chromecast fot android users. 

Still I'm with you, the more output possibilites the better. But since Poweramp is a Android app, chromecast should be on top of the list. 

I really hope that Maksim will add Chromecast functionality to Poweramp. It is becoming a standard protocol being embedded into AVRs (audio video receivers) and a vast variety of smart devices. E.g. in my home I have at least three different devices by different manufacturers having built-in Chromecast functionality.

• 2 weeks later...

A small update on Chromecast support development progress:

• basic functionality (streaming up to 24bit/96khz) is supported
    • Poweramp streams its processed output, not the track files. That means all formats are supported, but the phone is constantly busy with decoding and streaming over wifi
  • media receiver with proper track info/album art is supported (though not needed for Home/CC Audio, that's still displayed on standard CC + TV)
    • no progress bar/seekbar
  • gapless is supported
  • Poweramp EQ/DSP is supported
  • DVC is not supported
  • there is 2-3sec latency (mostly noticeable when equalizer settings are changed) and to reduce that to ~<1 sec, completely custom media receiver is required, which will be hard to support, so I've not decided yet if such latency is OK or not

4 minutes ago, maxmp said:

A small update on Chromecast support development progress:

• basic functionality (streaming up to 24bit/96khz) is supported
    • Poweramp streams its processed output, not the track files. That means all formats are supported, but the phone is constantly busy with decoding and streaming over wifi
  • media receiver with proper track info/album art is supported (though not needed for Home/CC Audio, that's still displayed on standard CC + TV)
    • no progress bar/seekbar
  • gapless is supported
  • Poweramp EQ/DSP is supported
  • DVC is not supported
  • there is 2-3sec latency (mostly noticeable when equalizer settings are changed) and to reduce that to ~<1 sec, completely custom media receiver is required, which will be hard to support, so I've not decided yet if such latency is OK or not

Perfect!!!! Will these changes be in the next update?