All songs last several seconds cut off

happyoutkast

I'm having an issue where the last several seconds of every song I play is cut off when Poweramp reaches the end of a playlist or queue, or when playing only single songs. I suspect I know the problem, however the new Poweramp v3 is missing the option I need to access. 

In Poweramp v2, there was an option to "cut silence at the end of tracks" which is useful for songs that have a bit of excessive silence at the end of the song. Some mp3 files, for example, may have a few seconds of silence after the song ends. In version two, the option not only could be toggled on, but adjusted for the threshold of silence as well. I had just tweaked this setting, and was still actively testing this when Poweramp was updated from v2 to v3. After testing, I found that the threshold was set a bit too high and was causing part of the song to be cut off at the end by as much as 10 seconds. It's really really really annoying. So I went in to adjust this back closer to where it was when, to my dismay, I find that the "cut silence at end of tracks" option as well as related adjustments missing (presumably completely removed for whatever insane reason) and I'm unable to correct the problem at all now under v3.

So, long story short, the bug is that the "cut silence at end of track" options and adjustments are no longer present, which in my case is app-breaking. I really hate having the last several seconds of every song I play cut off when I reach the end of play lists and need to be able to adjust this. 

Given the level of detailed tweaks and options available, I'm absolutely shocked and flabbergasted by the removal of such a comparatively simple and obvious setting. 

Device: LG G5 (LGLS992 - sprint) 

Android version: 7.0 (stock unmodified) 

Poweramp version: v3 build 816 Google play

20 minutes ago, happyoutkast said:

I'm having an issue where the last several seconds of every song I play is cut off when Poweramp reaches the end of a playlist or queue, or when playing only single songs. I suspect I know the problem, however the new Poweramp v3 is missing the option I need to access. 

In Poweramp v2, there was an option to "cut silence at the end of tracks" which is useful for songs that have a bit of excessive silence at the end of the song. Some mp3 files, for example, may have a few seconds of silence after the song ends. In version two, the option not only could be toggled on, but adjusted for the threshold of silence as well. I had just tweaked this setting, and was still actively testing this when Poweramp was updated from v2 to v3. After testing, I found that the threshold was set a bit too high and was causing part of the song to be cut off at the end by as much as 10 seconds. It's really really really annoying. So I went in to adjust this back closer to where it was when, to my dismay, I find that the "cut silence at end of tracks" option as well as related adjustments missing (presumably completely removed for whatever insane reason) and I'm unable to correct the problem at all now under v3.

So, long story short, the bug is that the "cut silence at end of track" options and adjustments are no longer present, which in my case is app-breaking. I really hate having the last several seconds of every song I play cut off when I reach the end of play lists and need to be able to adjust this. 

Given the level of detailed tweaks and options available, I'm absolutely shocked and flabbergasted by the removal of such a comparatively simple and obvious setting. 

Device: LG G5 (LGLS992 - sprint) 

Android version: 7.0 (stock unmodified) 

Poweramp version: v3 build 816 Google play

There are known issues with crossfade in V3, which sometimes produce similar effect. To make sure that we really have a gapless/silence problem here, and that this has nothing to do with crossfade, could you disable crossfade, set crossfade length to zero etc in Settings > Audio > Crossfade and retry ?

39 minutes ago, blaubär said:

There are known issues with crossfade in V3, which sometimes produce similar effect. To make sure that we really have a gapless/silence problem here, and that this has nothing to do with crossfade, could you disable crossfade, set crossfade length to zero etc in Settings > Audio > Crossfade And retry ?

That did the trick. I did some additional testing to try and pin down the exact setting causing the issue to help the devs out (I've done software development as well, so I know information is key). I did several iterations of testing and was unable to pin it down to an exact setting, but more to a grouping of settings. Needless to say, the somewhat inconsistent results were a challenge. 

I was, however, able to pin it down to the "crossfade length" setting as well as those below it, specifically the "play/pause/stop fade length" settings. It seems to work OK with the settings above "crossfade length" enabled. I will do some additional testing and playing with the settings to see if I can pin it down further. For the record, I would prefer to have a specific setting for adjusting how much silence at the end of the track it cuts off, which I suspect may help correct the crossfading / fading issue. 

Thank you for your assistance. I really appreciate it, I was going to try and reinstall v2 however all the download files throw a "package appears to be corrupt" error in the installer, so that's not an option anyway. Glad to see it could be addressed in v3 and hope a proper fix to the crossfading / fading feature is forthcoming.

Edited by happyoutkast
Fix typos

15 minutes ago, happyoutkast said:

I was, however, able to pin it down to the "crossfade length" setting as well as those below it, specifically the "play/pause/stop fade length" settings. It seems to work OK with the settings above "crossfade length" enabled. I will do some additional testing and playing with the settings to see if I can pin it down further. For the record, I would prefer to have a specific setting for adjusting how much silence at the end of the track it cuts off, which I suspect may help correct the crossfading / fading issue.  

See also

I have same issues and tried the suggestions above, i.e: disable all crossfade options and put all timers to their lowest values. Gapless playback seems to have inproved (more reliable), however still there's a small silence / skip between the tracks that I can't get rid of... Doesn't matter if I play the gapless album from internal or external storage. I noticed that the gapless timers can's actually be set to zero, but the main to minimum 1000 ms and others to 50 ms only. Could this still be causing the issues ??

Or could it be some "hidden" fade-in feature (as suggested in a different post elsewhere on the forum) and if yes, how can it be disabled ?

=> Any help is greatly appreciated 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

I am experiencing this same issue, and I figured out how to duplicate this issue reliably on my device. Seems like a bug. Hopefully this helps get it fixed.

Steps:

• Revert everything to default in Crossfade, Fade, and Gapless settings.
  • Open an album with one or more files in it.
  • Begin playing the last song in the album. Seek to the last 10 seconds or so, and let the song finish playing.
  • The song ends correctly, with nothing cut off. The "List Finished" toast appears.
  • Now, change the Preload Gapless Tracks setting to 5000ms.
  • Go back and play the last song on the album again. Seek to the last 10 seconds or so.
  • Now, pay close attention to the elapsed time. The song will stop playing 5000ms before the end of the song, and the "List Finished" toast is displayed.

I would just set Preload Gapless Tracks to 0ms but I've got my music on an SD card, and occasionally I will get issues with tracks not playing gapless.

5 hours ago, alphacorvus said:
  • Now, change the Preload Gapless Tracks setting to 5000ms.

I just tried this with all crossfade settings set at default (I used the reset button at the bottom of the settings page), and Repeat and Shuffle modes off, which worked normally. I then changed just the Preload slider to 5000ms and the problem manifested itself. I managed to repeat the problem in both Folders and Albums modes, but it only happened the first time I played the final track of an album; if I then scrubbed back a bit and tried again, it then played to the end.

@maxmp , it looks like this is a repeatable bug so it should be easier to find now.

Andre

I was about this report this. Been testing this for a while. It has been happening since the last build. This problem only happens to me when the app is playing the last song of the album . If I set "Preload Gapless Track" at 2000ms, the song would end when there is still 2 seconds (2000 ms) left. If I set "Preload Gapless Track" at 5000ms, the song would end when there is still 5 seconds (5000 ms) left. 

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

I've checked with the latest build, and yes you are right, the bug is still present.

With 'Preload Gapless Tracks' set to 5000ms (and Repeat off) the final track of an album does stop 5 seconds before the end (e.g. playback stops at 2:59 if the full track length shows as 3:04). If you then scrub back a short amount and start playback again, it then finishes correctly at 3:04.

Andre

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2020 at 9:38 PM, ChemicalRascal said:

I'm still seeing this on v3-build-860-arm64-play, at least when running as a Time Limited Trial, when playing a gapless CUE FLAC.

Can you check this with normal audio song files, not CUE-based 'virtual' songs, and in regular Category playback rather than playlists or the Queue?

[Edit] Actually, I can replicate this in normal playback. With 'Repeat' set to 'Off' and Crossfade set to 15 seconds, when the final track of a folder/album/etc is playing, it stops 15 seconds from the end of the track. It ought to continue playing right to the end of the track, with no fade as there is nothing following it to fade into.

Andre

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...