Cannot export favorites playlist

rainer042

Hi,

I try to export the favorites playlist in PA so that I can import it on a second device with exactly< the same music collection so that I have the same favorites on both devices.

My problem is that if I try to export this playlist by selecting the favorites playlist, then select "three dots menu"-> List options-> "*"->"export Poweramp playlists"  PA creates the base directory "Playlists" but does not write any playlist file inside this directory and also tells me that 0 playlists have been exported.

Is the favorites playlist not considered to be an internal playlist that can be exported? How else can I keep the favorites on different devices in sync  using the mobile with PA to set favorites?

Forgot to say ...:

I am running PA on my Samsung Galaxy S8, PA Version V3 Build 816

Thanks
Rainer

What do you mean by 'Favourites Playlist'? Do you mean a manual playlist that you have created inside Poweramp which you have called 'Favourites', in which case that can be exported using the method you describe (which is a shortcut to Settings > Library > Export Poweramp Playlists).

If you mean an overall category (for example 'Top Rated', or 'Recently Played') then those are not Playlists, they are Categories. To export a list containing all of the songs from any given category you'd need to add them to a Playlist first: long-press on any song in the category, then select 'All', then use the '+ Add to Playlist' icon to add all of those songs to a playlist (you'll need to give it a name) and then you can export it.

Andre

Hi Andre,

thank you very much for your explanation. I didn't know about the distinction between categories and playlists in PA. I was talking about the category "Top Rated."

So for my purpose I could tag a song by tapping  "Thumb up" to the category "Top Rated" and then copy all the songs contained in this category to a playlist that in turn can be exported and imported on another device.  What I ask myself is if I also (on the second device) can import the Playlist to the Category meaning all songs contained in the playlist should be tagged "Top Rated" to belong to this category afterwards?

Else the only way would be to forget about the Top Rated category and simply use my own playlist "My Top Rated Playlist" where I add songs to instead of pressing "Thumb up". This would also work for my purpose but would mean some more taps to add a song compared to the single tap on "Thumb up" for adding the song to the category.

Thanks
Rainer

You can't currently import/export ratings, they are internal to the local Poweramp database on the device on which you create them and are not written back to the physical music files. There is a third-party app in the Play Store called New Playlist Manager which can both export and import Poweramp ratings though, might be worth giving that a try.

By the way, did you know you are not limited to just thumbs up / thumbs down ratings, you can also use the more traditional five-stars rating system if you prefer (Settings > Look and Feel > Player UI > Rating Type ).

Andre

Thanks for the plug @andrewilley but the link you provided is for the free version which only allows export of ratings. I provided this functionality to help people migrate from the legacy Poweramp version.

The fully functional version can be found here:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.flyingdutchman.newplaylistmanager

Archived