How do you shuffle an entire artist?

Cpasley

4 hours ago, Urchin said:

This is the missing feature that made me revert to V2. Since I almost always have my music on shuffle and it didn't work right, that made V3 unusable for me. I hope this resolves the problems and makes shuffle work like it used to be on V2. Please add this to folder mode as well, which is what I always use. Just to clarify how it works on V2 and how I think it should work on V3:

In Folder View mode:

• If I'm at the root of my "Music" folder and choose shuffle, it should randomly shuffle all subfolders (artists, albums, songs) one song at a time. There should be no correlation between one song and the next, other than random chance. One song might be Artist X / Album C / Song 5 and the next could be Artist Z / Album A / Song 2.
  • If I'm at the root of one of my "Artist" folders, it should randomly shuffle all subfolders, which at this point would be different albums/songs by that artist. Again, this should RANDOMLY play the tracks. It should not be based on album or anything else.
  • If I'm in the folder for a specific album, it should shuffle only the songs in that folder/album.
  • In all of the above examples it would be nice to have some options about what happens when all songs are finished. Maybe we could choose what it does such as stop playback, reshuffle and play again, etc.

This is what it should do in my opinion as well. In build 819 it works like this from artist level in folder hierarchy. Thnx @maxmp Still for me in the new built it doesn't work like this in the root folder using folder hierarchy. I played around with the settings, but never got Poweramp to really shuffle all songs in all subfolders randomly when in my music folder. So I can't shuffle randomly in all artists albums.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, blaubär said:

If you really want to shuffle ALL albums of ALL artist's per song ... You can shuffle in all songs.Or can't you ?

Yeah that works. Reason I posted my comment is that I want to help to make Poweramp more intuitive. It's strange that the shuffle button in the music folder behaves different than the same button in folders one or two levels deeper in folder hierarchy.

Also I think users have a certain way to use Poweramp. If you're a folder hierarchy player you like to stay in that environment since it suits how you approach a library. Switching to a different approach to be able to get certain results isn't the most user-friendly system. I think adopting to an apps system is easier for a user when certain buttons behave the same. It should act as the user expects.

7 hours ago, Mr. Make Believe said:

Yeah that works. Reason I posted my comment is that I want to help to make Poweramp more intuitive. It's strange that the shuffle button in the music folder behaves different than the same button in folders one or two levels deeper in folder hierarchy.

Also I think users have a certain way to use Poweramp. If you're a folder hierarchy player you like to stay in that environment since it suits how you approach a library. Switching to a different approach to be able to get certain results isn't the most user-friendly system. I think adopting to an apps system is easier for a user when certain buttons behave the same. It should act as the user expects.

I see.  So you'd like to have an "Shuffle category songs" switch that applies to folders.

4 hours ago, blaubär said:

I see.  So you'd like to have an "Shuffle category songs" switch that applies to folders.

I already mentioned this to Max, as this request has come up as often (in fact probably more often) for fully random sub-folder song shuffling than about Artist shuffling. It used to be the default in v2 I think, but got changed in v3.

Andre

I apologize in advance for my ignorance. Just upgraded to build 820, When I'm in "categories" then select..

Artists > Pantera

Then hit the shuffle button it still just plays one album at a time. Isn't that what should happen by hitting play instead of shuffle. I would think if you have 20 songs by an artist hitting shuffle button would randomly play all songs by a particular artist, am I approaching this wrong?

1 hour ago, Cpasley said:

I apologize in advance for my ignorance. Just upgraded to build 820, When I'm in "categories" then select..

Artists > Pantera

Then hit the shuffle button it still just plays one album at a time. Isn't that what should happen by hitting play instead of shuffle.

The latest update does provide this feature which everyone wanted to see restored, but it is not enabled by default. To shuffle-play all songs by an artist from the artist's main screen, you need to enable Settings > Library > Lists > 'Shuffle Category Songs'. You can also do the same for Folders and all their subfolder contents by enabling the 'Shuffle All Songs in Folder Hierarchy' mode.

Andre

1 hour ago, Cpasley said:

I am currently still on 816 and the play store says it's the latest version, how do I upgrade?

Google Play will distributed the update in due course, but if you want to get the latest version immediately just download it from the Downloads tab at the top of the page.

Andre

On 1/30/2019 at 4:13 PM, andrewilley said:

The latest update does provide this feature which everyone wanted to see restored, but it is not enabled by default. To shuffle-play all songs by an artist from the artist's main screen, you need to enable Settings > Library > Lists > 'Shuffle Category Songs'. You can also do the same for Folders and all their subfolder contents by enabling the 'Shuffle All Songs in Folder Hierarchy' mode.

Andre

Thanks Andre for clearing that up, wish it was by default but it's a start 

On 1/30/2019 at 4:15 PM, andrewilley said:

Google Play will distributed the update in due course, but if you want to get the latest version immediately just download it from the Downloads tab at the top of the page.

Andre

Thanks again Andre, it worked perfectly, is kiss you if you weren't on the other side of the world lol

Build 820 - Moto x4 - Android Pie

I think I found the silver bullet... This worked for me;

"Hey Google - Play Artist Dire Straits Shuffled"

PA started playing "Angel of Mercy" from the album "Communique" so I looked at the playlist and all of my 51 Dire Straits songs from all albums were in the current playlist in a random order!

• 4 months later...
On 1/26/2019 at 1:58 AM, maxmp said:

I see what you mean here. I'm adding a specific logic to limit artists/albums shuffling to just that given artist (alternatively, there will be other artist albums, but only when given target artist albums finished - so <<< >>> buttons are not blocked and continue to navigate further),

+ I'm adding option to shuffle strictly all (artist) songs when shuffle button is pressed in artist albums page (so shuffle button behaves the same way as shuffle button in artist/all songs page).

Can you fix this for genres too. I d/l'ed the latest version and I thought the above fix would fix this for genres but it doesn't. 

Archived