Poweramp Build 817

maxmp

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, maxmp said:

- casting to other devices (DNLA / Chromecast) (Note that advanced Poweramp stuff like DVC and powerful equalization/tone won't work with this)

I would have thought casting to new Output options ought to be relatively modular to code. Maybe even via some sort of plug-in/API feature, where the user could install just the devices that are useful to them, to avoid bulking up the main app? Chromecast, DLNA, Sonos, Alexa/Echo, etc would be nice useful additions, even though they are never going to be high-res devices.

Cloud/NAS storage might be more fundamental to the way the Library database currently works as the content would be far more dynamic than the current process. 

Andre

2 hours ago, cha0z_ said:

I see, so there is currently no way for me to play hi-res 24bit/44.1kHz

On Samsungs @ Pie - no. There are no 44.1kHz sample rate and multiples via wired 3.5 output - it's not supported by Samsung audio sub-system, it force upsamples to 48khz (or to 192khz for hi-res sample rates).

44.1kHz (+48kHz and 96kHz) is still possible via BT or USB DACs (these are close to Google/AOSP implementation and have less Samsung tweaks).

PS Back to Android 6/7 and Galaxy S7 days, the Samsung devices were able to properly play 44.1khz and 48khz on wired 3.5 without resampling. This is now removed from Samsung ROMs (I suspect hardware is still perfectly capable).

19 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

Chromecast, DLNA, Sonos, Alexa/Echo, etc would be nice useful additions, even though they are never going to be high-res devices.

I believe Google is quite supportive with helping developers add Chromecast support to their apps. I remember reading somewhere that the developed of Black Player still had some trouble with it though. 

Chromecast audio does support high Res. For playing files gapless it doesn't though. For making gapless playback work on a Chromecast the device should stay connected to the Chromecast. Therefore it would be awesome if @maxmp can add a setting which makes it possible to keep the device connected for gapless playback. By default it should be turned off. The user can activate this feature when posting a gapless album. Hifi Cast does it this way and it works like a charm.

1 minute ago, Mr. Make Believe said:

Chromecast audio does support high Res

Chromecast Audio, which is no more:-)

Also Chromecasts want to play the source file directly (for Hi-Res they support FLACs and WAVs only), and for Poweramp with like 10x more supported formats and own DSP processing this means transcoding and re-streaming, which will never as stable as other simple casting players (which just command chromecast to play this mp3/m4a/flac and chomecast does all the decoding/processing byitself).

1 hour ago, maxmp said:

Chromecast Audio, which is no more:-)

Which is a shame, the protocol will keep finding is way in various products. But yeah, the Chromecast audio as hardware is no longer in production since a couple of weeks ago.

And yes there are limitations for sure. Lots of popular formats are supported though. Still it would be great if Poweramp supports it in some way.

Thnx for taking the time to reply. It's your app and your call.

4 hours ago, maxmp said:

I will post some poll regarding this for the next priority on next big features:
- casting to other devices (DNLA / Chromecast) (Note that advanced Poweramp stuff like DVC and powerful equalization/tone won't work with this)
- or cloud storages support

YES i want to have chromecast support for so long!! 🤩

5 hours ago, maxmp said:

On Samsungs @ Pie - no. There are no 44.1kHz sample rate and multiples via wired 3.5 output - it's not supported by Samsung audio sub-system, it force upsamples to 48khz (or to 192khz for hi-res sample rates).

44.1kHz (+48kHz and 96kHz) is still possible via BT or USB DACs (these are close to Google/AOSP implementation and have less Samsung tweaks).

PS Back to Android 6/7 and Galaxy S7 days, the Samsung devices were able to properly play 44.1khz and 48khz on wired 3.5 without resampling. This is now removed from Samsung ROMs (I suspect hardware is still perfectly capable).

So you're saying the common 44.1kHz sample rate that most if not all store bought mp3's are not supported but it upsamples them?  That seems weird.   

@hypomaniac-eric No, that's common. Most android devices don't have 44.1kHz sample rate or any multiples of it, even if Hi-Res is fully supported otherwise. This is true for Wired/AUX/3.5 output only, as BT or USB DACs (large ones) usually have support for it (still some devices may force resample to 48kHz due to Android mixer fixed on that frequency before resampling again for BT demanded 44.1kHz).

2 hours ago, yrek150 said:

Android auto works Perfectly for nów, but not every track's album art is displayed on both modes (Android auto, and "normal" mode) 

Any example of such art (if that's a specific track, please PM me one). Poweramp uses Album Art URIs for Auto, that's just recently added to Auto app, so I guess this can be unpolished.

Issues with Google Assistant -

I said "Play [Artist] - [Song] in Poweramp"

It opens the spotify app instead of Poweramp - spotify is not my default music app on my android phone FYI

Also there is an album that I have that showed the Artist name - not anymore - it shows "unknown artist" -  that did not appear in v816

Missing album art as well

2 hours ago, maxmp said:

@hypomaniac-eric No, that's common. Most android devices don't have 44.1kHz sample rate or any multiples of it, even if Hi-Res is fully supported otherwise. This is true for Wired/AUX/3.5 output only, as BT or USB DACs (large ones) usually have support for it (still some devices may force resample to 48kHz due to Android mixer fixed on that frequency before resampling again for BT demanded 44.1kHz).

I just looked at some of my MP3's and they are 44.1khz.   It seems common to me.   are you saying it's not common for mp3's to be 44.1khz or not common for it on android?

1 hour ago, hypomaniac-eric said:

I just looked at some of my MP3's and they are 44.1khz.   It seems common to me.   are you saying it's not common for mp3's to be 44.1khz or not common for it on android?

An Audio CD has a sampling rate of 44.1 kHz, that's due to the definition of Audio CD, otherwise it wouldn't be one, and a normal CD player wouldn't play it correctly.

Therefore ripping an Audio CD to mp3 yields mp3 with sampling rate 44.1 kHz.

Poweramp processes this. Then it has to transfer the processed audio to the audio output. But the audio output cannot cope with each and every sampling rate.

The set of supported sampling rates varies with ROM and audio output plugin, and always includes 48 kHz, sometimes others. Especially 44.1kHz is seldom found, that's the sad fact that we are talking about.

Who can tell - is it bug or i didnot understand logic.

Folder view.

Now playing song from folder1.

I go to folder2 and press PLAY button in list header.

It start play somewhere in folder3.

As I understand - it must start play from those folder where i am now.

4 hours ago, blaubär said:

An Audio CD has a sampling rate of 44.1 kHz, that's due to the definition of Audio CD, otherwise it wouldn't be one, and a normal CD player wouldn't play it correctly.

Therefore ripping an Audio CD to mp3 yields mp3 with sampling rate 44.1 kHz.

Poweramp processes this. Then it has to transfer the processed audio to the audio output. But the audio output cannot cope with each and every sampling rate.

The set of supported sampling rates varies with ROM and audio output plugin, and always includes 48 kHz, sometimes others. Especially 44.1kHz is seldom found, that's the sad fact that we are talking about.

Thanks .  That's what i thought.   Most my stuff with 48kHz is videos.   I recorded some nature/bird sounds on my phone with 48kHz and converted to mp3 post editing.   I wasn't sure whether to keep them 48 or change to 44.1 like everything else but just kept it since it plays ok.  

Doesn't anyone else have a bug where if you are using a 3rd party skin and open android auto on your phone then after you exit it then open PA the skin is reverted to the default light skin? Oh it's fixed now with build 818,thanks Max for your hard work.

14 hours ago, maxmp said:

The DAC/audio circuit used in the exynos surely is, pretty sure that the one in the sd845 is also capable or any decent DAC for that manner. Also it's true that the S7/s7e (have it too) was playing natively 44.1kHz files without any resampling... another great idea from them that was killed. Thanks for the answer, it's informative.

2 hours ago, DyrusZJ said:

Many of my tracks don't have album art. After I did full rescan, now some of my song name show up as ?????? (Only songs with Japanese song title)

59 minutes ago, hypomaniac-eric said:

As reported, on mine there's missing album covers on many songs on a playlist i looked at earlier.   I hope the bug is fixed soon.  

10 hours ago, yrek150 said:

Android auto works Perfectly for nów, but not every track's album art is displayed on both modes (Android auto, and "normal" mode) 

For those with missing album art (not specifically related to Android Auto) please download build 818. You may need to then do a Full Rescan.

Andre

Archived