Shuffle always does the wrong thing!!!

Stigmund

Go to artists -> pick an artist -> click shuffle.
It chooses an album in the list at random (or in sequence?), and shuffles that instead of the whole artist.

go to artists -> click shuffle (no selection)
It chooses an artist at random (or in sequence?), and shuffles all tracks of that artist.

I've not bothered testing anything else, because as it stands, i can no longer listen to my music the way i am used to listening to my music.

NOTE: I've read that holding the shuffle button is what your supposed to do, but what this does is popup the message "shuffle songs and categories" and just picks the next album to shuffle (or next artist, depending where you click shuffle)!

The previous versions functionality would shuffle anything your contextually looking at (playlist, album, artist etc) - that was good, bring it back please!

Also, while i'm in furious rant mode - just bring back the "shuffle" in the context menu, e.g. press and hold a playlist - [NO MORE SHUFFLE BUTTON !!!].

Also, while i'm at it, Its a payed app, so it would be really awesome if you would let us keep older versions (un supported versions) without forcing updates - that way i would't have a problem would I!!!!!!!

OK so i figured it out. Forgive me for my bluntness, but WTF have you done to the GUI! Added clicks and reduced functionality.

So it tuns out, when you select an artist, you've not actually selected the "artist" (contextually, you've not actually chosen the artist, but instead, chosen to see the albums within the artist's folder).

Here's the key - and how un-intuitive the new GUI actually is...

You have to then press the "all artist songs" button to "contextually select" the artist. THEN when you press shuffle, it does what it should have done on the previous page.

The only difference i can see from these two views (the initial "artist" view and the "all artist songs" view) is the actual visual display of the list of albums (grid vs list). I don't know why these buttons need to do different things if literally nothing else changes, just the grid vs list!!!

I would expect this kind of change behaviour with free apps, certainly not payed ones.

1 hour ago, Stigmund said:

Also, while i'm at it, Its a payed app, so it would be really awesome if you would let us keep older versions (un supported versions) without forcing updates

You can switch off automatic updates for Poweramp and then install one of the legacy V2 builds.

1 hour ago, Stigmund said:

The only difference i can see from these two views (the initial "artist" view and the "all artist songs" view) is the actual visual display of the list of albums (grid vs list). I don't know why these buttons need to do different things if literally nothing else changes, just the grid vs list!!!

A lot of users, myself included, rather like to see an artist's albums, select one, and play it as the artist intended it to be played.

2 hours ago, Stigmund said:

I've read that holding the shuffle button is what your supposed to do, but what this does is popup the message "shuffle songs and categories" and just picks the next album to shuffle (or next artist, depending where you click shuffle)!

The long press functionality currently is available in the main screen only. Max has announced to add it to the list view eventually.

13 minutes ago, blaubär said:

A lot of users, myself included, rather like to see an artist's albums, select one, and play it as the artist intended it to be played.

Right, and that's what it used to do too, just with less navigation!

2 hours ago, Stigmund said:

The previous versions functionality would shuffle anything your contextually looking at (playlist, album, artist etc) - that was good, bring it back please!

Some others users would like that too, e.g. to shuffle an artist's albums. This might have to do with the removal of the filter functionality due to technical problems.In Feature Request resides a topic where a lot of user request the reimplementation of the filter, you might support this.

I am having the opposite problem - I can't seem to turn shuffle off no matter what I do.  And I @#%$$$% hate shuffle.  If I could just eliminate it altogether from the player, I would not mind.  Holding down the shuffle icon appears to do nothing, and short press just toggles through a bunch of shuffle modes, none of which seem to be "off." What gives?

I am also finding the GUI to be pretty unintuitive in spite of praise I have seen from others.   I just want to play entire albums, like I used to be able to do, with a minimum of fuss. 

Nice to have hi-res output options though....

9 minutes ago, Flabbergast said:

Holding down the shuffle icon appears to do nothing, and short press just toggles through a bunch of shuffle modes, none of which seem to be "off." What gives?

If you hold down (long press) the Shuffle icon in the player screen, the first option is Shuffle Off. You can also tap on the icon to cycle through the options one-by-one, including Shuffle Off. 

image.png

This functionality has not changed since Poweramp v2, other than making the descriptions a bit more friendly than they used to be.

Andre

thanks andrewilley  for the tip -- I was apparently trying to turn it off from the FOLDER view (which was playing tracks) rather than the "Player" view.  I'm finding it difficult to tell what 'mode' I'm in at any given time, if that makes sense.

I am still unable to just select an album from "Albums" view and just play it, without adding all the tracks to a playlist, which is a PITA.  So currently I am just finding what I need via Folder sorting.  This is not a shuffle problem though so maybe I should post in a different thread..

12 minutes ago, Flabbergast said:

I am still unable to just select an album from "Albums" view and just play it.

Navigate to the album in the 'Albums' library list, and just tap Play at the top - or tap on any one of the songs in the list if you don't want to start at the beginning. Done.

Obviously you should also check to ensure that the Shuffle mode in the Player screen is set to 'Off', as you want it to carry on with the whole album. I personally set Repeat mode to 'Advance List' by the way, so it carries on to the next album afterwards, but you can turn it Off if you want to stop at the end of the current album.

Andre

Archived