distorted sound with my Samsung Galaxy S9+ after update

6 hours ago, andrewilley said:

I assume internally PA uses a higher bit depth to allow for lots of headroom during processing, but then has to convert back down for output (which from what Max says, is where the limiter comes in, and will reduce the overall gain if it would otherwise start to clip).

Yes, and so you still can produce a lot of distortion if you maximize preamp, bass and lowest eq bands and use a low volume and no DVC.

6 hours ago, maxmp said:

on Android device these max values are sent to DAC on max volume only

I can reproduce the effect of the limiter when I set the volume to max, then I hear the effect that @Lucas B.describes : the limiter limits, and that sounds a bit strange, but it is not the distortion that I hear without the limiter.

And it's plausible that the distortions originating in the EQ vanish when I increase the volume : the limiter works by temporarily decreasing the preamp ( my guess ), thereby not only preventing clipping when transferring to the DAC, but also preventing the distortions in the EQ.

And it's plausible that these low-volume-max-bass-distortions don't arise when DVC is enabled : DVC works by circumventing the normal volume control and using the preamp ( or something in its vicinity ) instead ( my guess ), thereby preventing the distortions.

@andrewilley @Lucas B. @maxmp : thanks a lot !

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, brettmc said:

This started on my pixel 3 this morning.   nothing in this thread helps.

EDIT:  I installed build 828 and the sound is back to the way it used to be.

Did you try installing build 830 and then use Restore Defaults in Settings > Audio > Output ? Or otherwise a fully clean uninstall/reinstall of build 830?

Andre

Archived