distorted sound with my Samsung Galaxy S9+ after update

Hi! i updated my Samsung Galaxy S9+ to Android Pie on 15th December and when I played music the sound was way too low, usually perfect sound on 70% but not after update, before update, the Samsung Alive equalization never interfere with Poweramp but now is it, help me, I tried everything like turning off dvc but nothing, sorry for my bad English

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, blaubär said:

Did you try all available output plugins ? What is "Samsung Alive", in what way did it interfere, what happens if you disable it ?

0172019201434.jpg

Hi Blaubär 

thank you very much for your valuable time.

i tried all output plugins, nothing worked, and Samsung Alive is basically a sound equalizer which would have no effect on Poweramp, doesn't matter what you do on Samsung Alive, but after update it's effecting the sound. I've attached screenshot of Samsung Alive. 

Screenshot_20190118-012322_SoundAlive.jpg

7 hours ago, Bikash Kumar Yadav said:

i tried all output plugins, nothing worked, and Samsung Alive is basically a sound equalizer which would have no effect on Poweramp, doesn't matter what you do on Samsung Alive, but after update it's effecting the sound.

That would mean that either you have always chosen the one plugin "Audiotrack output" or that the other plugins don't work.

Could you give a screenshot of your audio info ( long press on info bar ) that shows which plugin is in use ?

018201945615.jpg

14 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Hi, 

i too have the same sound problem with Galaxy S9 running pie Update. tried all the output plugins non of them working in pie on the s9. On Oreo everything was fine.

and Poweramp eq is just not able to work properly on pie.

Hi The doctor, we are having same issue, i hope this issue gets fixed soon cause love Poweramp

11 minutes ago, Bikash Kumar Yadav said:

what can i do about it? is there any way to fix it?

Not use Android Pie at the moment, or use regular output (possibly with DVC off) rather than Hi-Res.

I'm sure Max will update PA in forthcoming releases though, as he gets more Pie devices to test on.

Andre

11 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Not use Android Pie at the moment, or use regular output (possibly with DVC off) rather than Hi-Res.

I'm sure Max will update PA in forthcoming releases though, as he gets more Pie devices to test on.

Andre

Please as soon as possible. Feels bad without Poweramp listening to music.

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone

Updated to new Android Version (Pie) and have the very same problems on my Samsung Galaxy S9. It sounds horrible and I'm addicted to Poweramp sounds. Didn't find a solution (and disabling DVC is worsening the problem with overdistorting everything). I got it working on a lower volume level, but Tone and Equalyzer settings won't react the way I'm used to :(((. The whole dynamics and power of the loudspeakers on the Samsung is gone.

Would love to hear there is an update or some tweak we can use?

Thanks in advance!

Yes :-(

OpenSL sounds OK, but the volume has to be raised very high (above 60%) to hear enough. Then it distorts when trying it louder. HighRES doesn't work at all...even more silent. Audiotrack has maybe the correct amount of volume, but no equalizer effects (sounds quite raw)...

Any other ideas?

Thank you, Blaubär

Sorry for being not precise: No it can be switched on, but it will distort again. Audiotrack with switched off EQ will deliver the correct (known) volume level. That's all...very annoying that Android update 😔😔😔.

Thank you Blaubär

On 1/17/2019 at 11:02 PM, Bikash Kumar Yadav said:

I've attached screenshot of Samsung Alive.

I'd suggest you to turn off bandwidth upscaling as this function even long before the update distorts sound. If you want I can provide you with measurements as a proof. Plus, generally there is no sense in upscaling at all. The only function which I use is the bit upscaling as it helps a bit to reduce noise. 

As for me the last Pie update led that there is an error message pops up when I plug-in my earbuds denying me to use Hi-Res output.

I have some news to the audio problems:

• Managed to get the headphones working quite properly with Open SL output option, BUT
  • The problem remains terrible on the loudspeakers

As you all know, the Samsung S9 loudspeakers are quite cool in "emulating" a powerful ambient sound with its two loudspeakers. But it's just not working properly anymore with Poweramp. I tried all Output options with or without equalizer or tone adjustments (which are the reason to use Poweramp, as you all know). But it won't work. Either the sound is acceptable but ultra silent or it's at normal volume (see above) with p.e. Audiotrack, but only with all sound enhancements switched off. I also tried to disable UHD upscaling in Android Menu, disabling Dolby Atmos and/or Equalizer there. No effect!

Remarkable: All Samsung Apps render a fine sound on the loudspeakers, no matter if it's YouTube or Google Music and so on...

Could anybody from Poweramp please help. I don't want to quit using it...

Thank you all.

21 minutes ago, RFTC said:
  • Managed to get the headphones working quite properly with Open SL output option, BUT
  • The problem remains terrible on the loudspeakers

As you all know, the Samsung S9 loudspeakers are quite cool in "emulating" a powerful ambient sound with its two loudspeakers. But it's just not working properly anymore with Poweramp. I tried all Output options with or without equalizer or tone adjustments (which are the reason to use Poweramp, as you all know). But it won't work. Either the sound is acceptable but ultra silent or it's at normal volume (see above) with p.e. Audiotrack, but only with all sound enhancements switched off.

So if you set AudioTrack or Open SL as putput plugins and disable the EQ, the sound is loud enough and in acceptable quality.

If you then switch the EQ on with preset "linear", that means without having frequencies or preamp enhanced, does that make a difference ?

If you then step by step set the EQ as you want it, when and how does the sound get worse ? Slowly, the more you change the frequency and preamp settings ? Or does it work correctly until a certain point is reached and then suddenly gets worse in the next step ?

2 minutes ago, blaubär said:

So if you set AudioTrack or Open SL as putput plugins and disable the EQ, the sound is loud enough and in acceptable quality.

If you then switch the EQ on with preset "linear", that means without having frequencies or preamp enhanced, does that make a difference ?

If you then step by step set the EQ as you want it, when and how does the sound get worse ? Slowly, the more you change the frequency and preamp settings ? Or does it work correctly until a certain point is reached and then suddenly gets worse in the next step ?

It's really hard to tell every circumstances. I try...the sound reacts as follows:

EQ and TONE switched off:

• All output plugins OpenSL not very loud (not as loud as Samsung/Google music apps), tone is flat and "bathroom radio like", but does NOT distort

EQ on but TONE still switched off:

• HiRES: sounding quite nice with my regular setting (no extreme enhancements), NO distortion. But volume still lower that native apps and
  • Audiotrack: sounding ok, not as "clear" as HiRES and a bit flatter. Rest as HiRES
  • OpenSL: sounding also nice, but even more silent than the other two above

EQ and TONE active (all output plugins only react after touching bass or heights buttons!):

• HiRES:  At first no effect after switching TONE on but when touching the BASS settings it will distort heavily after 40-50% setting of bass
  • Audiotrack: Similar effect as HiRES, but with "clicking" and strange sounds on top of the distortion
  • OpenSL: Same effects as HiRES

After this test it seems that it's the TONE-Switch that will not render the correct and "boom" output to the loudspeakers :-///. The EQ alone won't distort even with heavy bass settings.

EQ-Setting of Samsung Equalizer or Dolby Atmos on/off will not affect the distortion (Atmos on will enhance the volume even in a desirable way!).

15 minutes ago, RFTC said:

It's really hard to tell every circumstances. I try...the sound reacts as follows:

EQ and TONE switched off:

• All output plugins OpenSL not very loud (not as loud as Samsung/Google music apps), tone is flat and "bathroom radio like", but does NOT distort

EQ on but TONE still switched off:

• HiRES: sounding quite nice with my regular setting (no extreme enhancements), NO distortion. But volume still lower that native apps and
  • Audiotrack: sounding ok, not as "clear" as HiRES and a bit flatter. Rest as HiRES
  • OpenSL: sounding also nice, but even more silent than the other two above

EQ and TONE active (all output plugins only react after touching bass or heights buttons!):

• HiRES:  At first no effect after switching TONE on but when touching the BASS settings it will distort heavily after 40-50% setting of bass
  • Audiotrack: Similar effect as HiRES, but with "clicking" and strange sounds on top of the distortion
  • OpenSL: Same effects as HiRES

After this test it seems that it's the TONE-Switch that will not render the correct and "boom" output to the loudspeakers :-///. The EQ alone won't distort even with heavy bass settings.

EQ-Setting of Samsung Equalizer or Dolby Atmos on/off will not affect the distortion (Atmos on will enhance the volume even in a desirable way!).

You wrote that you had already tried to disable DVC, but that this had worsened the problem.

Did you try enabling/disabling Settings > Advanced Tweaks > "Smooth Equalizer/Tone Gains" and "Limit" ( below EQ and Tone ) ?

31 minutes ago, blaubär said:

You wrote that you had already tried to disable DVC, but that this had worsened the problem.

Did you try enabling/disabling Settings > Advanced Tweaks > "Smooth Equalizer/Tone Gains" and "Limit" ( below EQ and Tone ) ?

Thank you Blaubär

Yes I tried this out before that test above...it won't help. As I wrote, the problems sum up to these final observations:

1. Volume levels are lower than in native apps on the loudspeakers

2. Tone boosting, especially BASS, will distort the sound after a level of about 40% volume and about 50% bass setting

1 hour ago, RFTC said:

1. Volume levels are lower than in native apps on the loudspeakers

2. Tone boosting, especially BASS, will distort the sound after a level of about 40% volume and about 50% bass setting

Okay,  then that's another one of these os-dependent issues, where the peak of the audio signal hasn't enough "headroom".

You could reduce the middle frequencies with the EQ instead of boosting the bass with TONE, but then you'll lower the volume there 😞

Let's hope that @maxmp can tweak this a bit further or that Samsung improves its High-Res-Implementation on Pie.

Of course, as a smartphone isn't High-End-Hifi- or bass-boosting-equipment anyway, what you could do is to invest in hardware and try an external amplifier and/or USB-DAC.

28 minutes ago, blaubär said:

Okay,  then that's another one of these os-dependent issues, where the peak of the audio signal hasn't enough "headroom".

You could reduce the middle frequencies with the EQ instead of boosting the bass with TONE, but then you'll lower the volume there 😞

Let's hope that @maxmp can tweak this a bit further or that Samsung improves its High-Res-Implementation on Pie.

Of course, as a smartphone isn't High-End-Hifi- or bass-boosting-equipment anyway, what you could do is to invest in hardware and try an external amplifier and/or USB-DAC.

Really appreciate your time and feedback, Blaubär! 

Yes, I will try to fool around with the EQ-only settings instead. Still hoping, that my beloved Sound App will sound again like before, no matter if on headphones or tiny built-in loudspeakers.

Thanks again and fingers crossed @maxmp ;-))

Archived