Is it possible to show Album Artist when Artist is missing?

MC23

9 hours ago, MC23 said:

I have made some playlists which lack Artist tag (but have Album Artist instead), and I remember that in V2 I didn't have any "unknown artist" but the album artist ("V.A.") was shown correctly. Thanks!

That ist because generally an album is defined as the set of songs with the same album artist and album title.

There are several options regarding use of album artist tags in Settings -> Library -> List.

You might try "Join Albums".

0162019899.jpg

Hey, thanks for the answer. I've tried your solution but it's not working for me. Maybe I didn't explain myself: when I hit Artist in Library, I see "unknown artist" for all my playlists, as you can see from this screenshot:

Screenshot_2019-01-16-08-34-51.jpg

What I'd like to see instead of "unknown artist", is the Album Artist tag, which is V.A. ... Is it possible or the only solution is to change artist tag for every song to "V.A."

35 minutes ago, MC23 said:

Hey, thanks for the answer. I've tried your solution but it's not working for me. Maybe I didn't explain myself: when I hit Artist in Library, I see "unknown artist" for all my playlists, as you can see from this screenshot:

Screenshot_2019-01-16-08-34-51.jpg

What I'd like to see instead of "unknown artist", is the Album Artist tag, which is V.A. ... Is it possible or the only solution is to change artist tag for every song to "V.A."

I didn't try it myself - but I think the other Options show in my screenshot "Album Artist Label for Tracks" and "Album Artist Label for Albums" should help. ( If PA doesn't start a full rescan automatically after changing these settings you might start one manually )

I'm a bit puzzled as to why you would tag any song with an Album Artist tag but not create a Track Artist too? Other than maybe you don't actually know the track artists and just want a generic album linker (such as "Various Artists") - but if that's the case, then PA is behaving perfectly correctly by displaying "Unknown Artist" for that song.

Andre

12 hours ago, blaubär said:

I didn't try it myself - but I think the other Options show in my screenshot "Album Artist Label for Tracks" and "Album Artist Label for Albums" should help. ( If PA doesn't start a full rescan automatically after changing these settings you might start one manually )

I already have those options checked, but they just show V.A. in track view and album view...

11 hours ago, andrewilley said:

I'm a bit puzzled as to why you would tag any song with an Album Artist tag but not create a Track Artist too? Other than maybe you don't actually know the track artists and just want a generic album linker (such as "Various Artists") - but if that's the case, then PA is behaving perfectly correctly by displaying "Unknown Artist" for that song.

Andre

Hello, the reason is that my playlists have 500+ artists in them, and I don't want that many artists (especially when for each artist I have 1 or 2 songs), so I use Album Artist tag instead and leave Artist tag empty. Anyway the only way to solve the problem seems to change the Artist tag to V.A., not that takes that much but I don't understand why in V2 I didn't have this problem (V.A. was shown when I was in Library - Artist)

Cheers

15 hours ago, MC23 said:

I don't understand why in V2 I didn't have this problem (V.A. was shown when I was in Library - Artist)

V2's did not support Album Artist tags as well as V3 does. V3 is doing what it should do, i.e. if there is no Track Artist tag, to show it as Unknown Artist.

Andre

Archived