How to continue using Poweramp v2 rather than the newer v3

Users of Android 5.0 and above will be automatically updated to the latest Poweramp v3 via the Play Store, and we hope you will enjoy the new features and updated user interface. This is a free upgrade for all existing paid users.

If for some reason you want to stay on your currently installed version and you are not using a legacy device (Android 4.4.x and below) simply turn 'Automatic Updates' off within the Poweramp homepage in the Play Store app on your device, using the menu icon in the top-right of the app page.

If you have already been updated to v3 and want to roll back to v2 (i.e. build 588) you'll first need to uninstall the newer version and then download the v2 .apk file to your device from the Downloads tab at the top of this page. Launch the file from a File Explorer app - any one will do, even the stock one provided with the phone, but probably best not to try running it from a web browser as results are not very consistent that way. You may need to enable installing from "unknown sources" on your device first though, as the default setting is usually to only allow installs from the Play Store. Once you've rolled back to v2, make sure updates are turned off as above.

Do remember to backup ("Export") any internal playlists, and also Export your settings, before uninstalling though, as this cannot be done afterwards. Some other database-related items - such as user-defined star-ratings and recently/most-played status- will also be lost, but ratings at least can be saved using external apps such as New Playlist Manager.

Note: Over time, problems may start to appear with newer devices and more recent ROM updates - for example Notifications do not work properly on Oreo 8.1 ROMs. These issues are unlikely to be addressed via any new Poweramp v2 builds as all development work is now focused on v3. Use of build 588 on newer devices and ROMs is at your own risk.

Andre

• 6 months later...

I had been running Poweramp v2.  When it automatically updated to v3, it broke the song info display via bluetooth connection to my Toyota Sound System.   I had to download and install the v2 apk (Poweramp-2.0.10-build-588-uni.apk Build 588) to restore the song info display.  Now I am getting a message that the trial version has expired and I need to verify purchase.  When I input the Google purchase receipt it takes me to download page for v3.  According to PlayStore purchase history, I purchased Poweramp Full Version Unlocker January 18, 2016 for $3.99.   How can I verify purchase but not install v3?  Thanks. 

• 2 months later...

I've just bought the application and followed the steps in the first post to downgrade to v.2.

So I uninstalled v.3 and installed v2 downloaded in advance. Unfortunately after I launched v2 I received a message that the trial period is over and suggestion to restore the purchase. When I agreed to restore, googleplay just returned me the money instead of confirming my purchase.

It is important for me to use v2 even though I'm on the latest build of Android. Could you please suggest how could I get working v.2?

Thanks!

Although v2 is obsolete as far as newer Anrdroid platforms are concerned (and not guaranteed to work forever), for the time being you ought to be able to install and verify the licence on v3, then uninstall v3 and reinstall v2. The licence should just pick up again (you'll need to turn Updates for PA off on your device though, otherwise the store will continue to try to update for you).

As you have been issued a refund by Google though, I suggest you might want to buy the version direct from the website instead, which will avoid further auto-updates and should be simpler to validate. See https://powerampapp.com/buy-poweramp/

Out of curiosity, what is the reason you need to use v2 ? The newer V3 should do everything that v2 does, and a whole lot more besides, with a more versatile and easier interface.

Andre

2 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Although v2 is obsolete as far as newer Anrdroid platforms are concerned (and not guaranteed to work forever), for the time being you ought to be able to install and verify the licence on v3, then uninstall v3 and reinstall v2.

That's what I did. But unfortunately after uninstalling v.3 and installing v.2 I got a message about the end of trial period. Before purchasing v.3 I used the trial version of v.2. until the end of trial period.

The reason why I want v2 is because I prefer all the UI of my phone to be similar to it's design (black and red combination). So I found Magnolia Icon pack, wallpapers , clock widget as well as Poweramp skin. So the majority of applications are of the same style. Unfortunately Magnolia skin is only compatible with Poweramp v.2.

Ah, so it's nothing to do with technical specs, features or functionality, but you prefer the paint job. :)

You should completely uninstall PA v3 and any unlocker app that you've installed from Google. Might even be worth deleting the /Android/data/_com.maxmpz.audioplayer/ folder. Then install PA v2 from the downloaded .APK file for build 588 and go through the website-purchase validation process (make sure you have the correct email address set up as an account on the phone, and use the ID supplied in the confirmation email, etc). See the FAQs for restoring purchase status, e.g. http://support.powerampapp.com/knowledgebase/articles/324284-restore-poweramp-purchase

Andre

• 3 years later...

alguien sigue usando la v2? yo hace poco podía pero ahora ya no 😭. Mi teléfono tiene android 10 y hace unos 6 meses podía usar la v2 pero ahora ya no reconoce las carpetas de música. Sería bueno que el creador de la app la hiciera funcionar porque me gusta las pieles que tiene, no importa la compro aparte de la v3. 

37 minutes ago, jeffry_29 said:

alguien sigue usando la v2? yo hace poco podía pero ahora ya no 😭. Mi teléfono tiene android 10 y hace unos 6 meses podía usar la v2 pero ahora ya no reconoce las carpetas de música. Sería bueno que el creador de la app la hiciera funcionar porque me gusta las pieles que tiene, no importa la compro aparte de la v3. 

You can download from here.

https://forum.powerampapp.com/files/category/1-Poweramp-v2-legacy-versions/

There will be no further updates to v2, sorry. It is a six year old legacy product only intended for use on Android 4.4 and below. While it ought to work on 10, I believe upcoming versions of Android will actually block installation very old apps completely.

Andre

v3 replaced v2 six or more years ago, although it is still available to download for old Android 4.4 and lower (which cannot run v3). Otherwise, it is obsolete and superseded now.

If v2 still works for you that's great, but it's not something that is or will be supported on modern phones. A bit like asking why you can't install a new licenced copy of Windows 95 nowadays.

If you have a website-purchased licence, there is possibly more chance of it working with v2 on a modern device rather than a Play Store one.

Andre

espere a ver si entiendo, si la compro desde la página web puede que funcione la v2 ? Si es así le aseguro que la compro, porque o sea ahora si la puedo instalar pero lo que falla es que no lee las carpetas de música y también que no verifica mi compra. Confirme si es que comprando la v2 desde la página de Poweramp si va a funcionar. Ah y con respecto a la comparación con windows no se puede comparar porque Poweramp es una app de "entretenimiento" y por ejemplo ahora sacan varias apps o juegos basados en épocas antiguas, por ejemplo hay un reproductor de música estilo discos de vinil, cassettes, hay un reproductor que se llama retro, hay un reproductor que su interfaz es tipo esas computadoras antiguas.  En conclusión la V2 si podría seguir en el mercado si es que se toman el trabajo de hacerla compatible con teléfonos modernos

3 hours ago, jeffry_29 said:

In conclusion, the V2 could continue on the market if they take the trouble to make it compatible with modern phones

This is not going to happen, the transition to v3 was done specifically to ensure future compatibility with newer phones and Android updates that are currently at A13.

Yes, basically v3 already is the update that allows Poweramp to continue to work on future versions of Android. V2 is a dead product, only still available for legacy devices. If it continues to work on newer ROMs that's great, but don't count on it.

Andre