Poweramp can't scan sd card tags

DyrusZJ

50 minutes ago, DyrusZJ said:

The old songs on the sd card are fine.

Then it might be best to do a Full Rescan, or if that does not fix it then uninstall/reinstall the app, as it sounds like the library database has got itself muddled. (This action will lose any internal playlists and settings, so be sure to export those before continuing).

Andre

I also have this issue in two distinct phones (Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 with AOSP 9.0; Xiaomi Redmi Note 6 with MIUI 10 Global Stable on Android 8.1). I reported this specific bug months ago when v3 was still in alpha preview and it never got fixed. I guess it may be because of my exFAT SD card, but other than that I see no reason at all why this should happen on two different devices.

42 minutes ago, AryToNeX said:

I see no reason at all why this should happen on two different devices.

They are not very different devices, both are Xiaomi Redmi Notes, but that shouldn't make a difference as long as their OS can read files from an SD Card, which it presumably can. I don't think exFAT should make a difference either. What symptoms are you seeing?

Andre

On 1/6/2019 at 5:19 PM, andrewilley said:

They are not very different devices, both are Xiaomi Redmi Notes, but that shouldn't make a difference as long as their OS can read files from an SD Card, which it presumably can. I don't think exFAT should make a difference either. What symptoms are you seeing?

Andre

Well I recognize that those are Redmi Notes, but one is running a custom AOSP while the other is on stock ROM; also the SoC changes. Basically if a (music) file is in the internal storage, all tags will be normally read. If I move this file to SD Card or I just download a file there, Poweramp will recognize there's a file, so the file is listed, but tags and duration can't be read.

I thought of exFAT because sometimes, based on the combination of Android version and app that I'm using, sometimes my card will not get properly read and all the files are listed as 0 bytes ones; but it rarely happens on stock unmodified OSes (although it happened once on MIUI). It *could* be a problem at Android level, but as I said it only happens with certain applications and I can safely say that all my tests were done with proper exFAT drivers and with my SD card properly read.

• 7 months later...
On 1/12/2019 at 2:26 PM, AryToNeX said:

I thought of exFAT because sometimes, based on the combination of Android version and app that I'm using, sometimes my card will not get properly read and all the files are listed as 0 bytes ones; but it rarely happens on stock unmodified OSes (although it happened once on MIUI). It *could* be a problem at Android level, but as I said it only happens with certain applications and I can safely say that all my tests were done with proper exFAT drivers and with my SD card properly read.

As I said above, I have no problems. Since I posted above I have swapped my Galaxy S7 (various customs ROMs and sizes of sdcards) for a Note 9 (again, tried various ROMs) with a 512GB sdcard (exFAT) No problems with any of them.

Has PA got storage permission?

And @Mugetsu, what exactly is your problem?

• 2 months later...

@maxmp

I have the excact same problem!

I recently upgraded from a Fairphone 2 (Android 7) to a Fairphone 3 (Android 9), transferred the user data via Google and put my old SD card into the new phone. Everthing seemed fine at first with my whole Poweramp library being transferred. But having just saved some new tracks on my SD card I realized that the tag info was missing. I tried to insert the tags with Poweramp app then - but they weren't saved.

After having discovered this thread I moved those songs to the internal storage and they are being read fine. Moving them back to the SD card has the tag info missing again.

I also moved an older track that was shown correctly to internal storage and back to SD - and this also results in missing tag infos (having rescanned after each swap).

So, I'm gonna store my new songs in the internal storage now - but I hope you can fix this problem soon, so all my music can be back on the SD card!

EDIT: Oh, and by the way... Google's "Play Music" app is able to read the tags from the SD card just fine.

EDIT 2: I've finally got it working. I realized that Poweramp does recognize the tag info, when I transfer the files from my compuer to the phone's SD card via USB cable - and not Wifi as I did before. No idea why the tag data gets lost via Wifi (but only on SD and only in Poweramp not in Google Play Music...), but... hey... I've found a workaround to store my new files on the SD card again!

Archived