Poweramp
blaubär

dynamic range compression / peak normalization

13 minutes ago, blaubär said:

When travelling I use the Sony WH1000 XM2 Headphones with active noise cancelling. These are the best I could get and afford. Nethertheless it's difficult to listen to dynamic music. A dynamic range compressor might help.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_range_compression

Asking just from curiosity, you need a compressor to decrease dynamic range in order to compensate loud environmrent? Usually the extensive and senseless use of compressor make the qualityh worse.

44 minutes ago, NickIst said:

Usually the extensive and senseless use of compressor make the qualityh worse. 

Yes, it does ! Therefore I would use it intensively and sensibly 🙂

My use case is not further decreasing a small dynamic range, but the slight decrease of a large dynamic range in case I can't hear the quiet parts of classical music due to unavoidable outside noise.

A quiet environment would be preferable of course, but that isn't always an option.

15 minutes ago, blaubär said:

I can't hear the quiet parts of classical music due to unavoidable outside noise.

As I thought. Thus it could be useful for some genres of music. I listen to rock and its derivatives, in which DR higher than 12-14 is rarity.

Please add my vote for adjustable volume normalization (compressor/limiter). The ability to modify the song's dynamic range is so useful in many listening environments. 

I strongly support this and was about to propose it myself. I listen to a wide variety of genres from pop to classical to vintage jazz to country to dance, etc, while on the road.

A vehicle can be a generally noisy environment which is why radio stations broadcast music through a compressor in order to make each whole song listenable. The same goes for shops and other public establishments that play music over the intercoms. I would absolutely love to have this ability in Poweramp. I ran all (currently) 400+ of my mp3 songs through Audacity which has a compressor option. It was a tedious process as you can only do one song individually. It did help, but the results are simply not the same as what store intercoms and radio stations can achieve. I'll bet an implemented feature on Poweramp could even do better.

I also posted this request. It would be a great feature for the Pro version.