Genre separator not working in v3

MrGenre

I've been using the paid version of Poweramp for years.  The new update seems to have broken the way that genres are parsed.  I use the '/' separator character as that is the default used by Kodi which I use in my house.  In Poweramp v2, a genre of "Alternative / Rock" would show up in both the Alternative and the Rock genres.  Now it makes its own "Alternative / Rock" genre separate from the other two.

Please fix this so that the genres are correctly separated again as they were before.

41 minutes ago, MrGenre said:

The new update seems to have broken the way that genres are parsed.  I use the '/' separator character as that is the default used by Kodi which I use in my house.  In Poweramp v2, a genre of "Alternative / Rock" would show up in both the Alternative and the Rock genres.  Now it makes its own "Alternative / Rock" genre separate from the other two. 

Feature, not bug : try "//" as separator

4 hours ago, MrGenre said:

So I would have to re-tag my entire library?

Can we just have an option to set the separator string?

Yes, at present you would have to re-tag anything that has multiple genres separated by a single "/" character as it is ambiguous. There isn't an official standard for it within ID3 tagging, but the most popular suggestion seems to be semicolon (https://www.blisshq.com/music-library-management-blog/2011/03/12/multiple-genres-in-mp3s/).

Whether or not that may change in the future I can't say, but I do know it was in response to user requests that genres like "rock/pop" not be incorrectly split, which is what Max implemented.

Batch editing would be pretty simple though, just scan your whole music library using a program like TagScanner on a computer, and then do one simple global search & replace for "/" in the genre tag and change all instances to ";". If you do have any occurrences that you need to keep intact (e.g. "Rock/Pop") just deal with those instances with a separate search.

Andre

First, I want to thank you Andre.  It's rare to get such rapid responses from highly knowledgeable people.

I'm afraid re-tagging my entire collection is not a viable solution to this problem for me as it would take a very long time to go through and re-backup and then re-upload to various phones the affected portions of my library (re-uploading is particularly annoying as our phones don't have enough storage space to hold all of our music so I have to pick and choose what I upload to them).  One of the primary reasons I chose Poweramp years ago was because it supported multiple genre tags the way my library was setup.  As I see it, this could be considered a regression issue as it worked perfectly well for me for years.  Is there documentation I can read on how to officially request a feature or a bug fix for this?

I'll move this to Feature Requests, asking to add a Settings control in the Settings>Library>Scanner menu to allow configuration of which combination of separator characters should be accepted for creating multiple categories (which I guess should apply to genres, artists, composers, etc). That way users could choose their own preferences based on their own existing music collection.

I would suggest that semicolon be the default, with multiple tickable options of  ";"   ","   "/"   "//" and "\\".

It will be up to the dev @maxmp to decide whether to implement it though.

Andre

Archived