Why can't Poweramp remember songs ratings?

darker246

I love the option to rate songs with stars. However, it is very frustrating to spend hours in rating about 2000 songs and then if i move them to different folder or for some reason take out my SD card, those ratings will disappear. The weird part is that the tags edited within Poweramp will stay, only ratings disappears... Can it be somehow fixed? Thanks. 

Ratings are not written back to physical files 'on the fly' in the same way that tag edits are. They are held in a local database which refers to that specific music file in device storage. As soon as you move a song file, or remove the SD Card, PA will note that the original file has vanished and thus it purges all references to it from its database (including ratings, number of plays, appearances in playlists, etc). Moments later a 'new' file is found which is then added to the database, but it's not considered to be the same as the old one and thus has none of the transient attributes.

There's an app called New Playlist Manager which can write ratings from PA's database to the physical files, which may help you.

Andre

Ratings are stored locally in Poweramp database - it’s fast and works for any file. 

There are file formats which don’t support rating, writing files on the fly is time/memory/cpu intensive (and may break some files if tag is already semi broken or non standard), there can be very large files and slow storages, huge embedded album art, and all kind of crazy tags in the wild.

All that makes “online” tag writing not managable, but there are plans to sync ratings to/from database via separate action in settings.

It might be a good idea to at least read POPM tags during a full scan though, and for any new files. That might need an option to handle conflicts though, so if the POPM value in a music file is different from the one in PA the behaviour could be set to "Keep the PA rating" or "Overwrite PA rating with rating from file".

Andre

• 3 weeks later...
On Fri Jan 04 2019 at 10:46 PM, maxmp said:

Ratings are stored locally in Poweramp database - it’s fast and works for any file. 

There are file formats which don’t support rating, writing files on the fly is time/memory/cpu intensive (and may break some files if tag is already semi broken or non standard), there can be very large files and slow storages, huge embedded album art, and all kind of crazy tags in the wild.

All that makes “online” tag writing not managable, but there are plans to sync ratings to/from database via separate action in settings.

I really need this feature as well. It helps a lot on organizing music tracks, especially when there's a large amount of tracks. Since phones nowadays are fast enough to handle those kinds of tasks (even in real time), please at least add a switch to control whether to write ratings to files or not. 

BTW, solution to damaged tags: Just rebuild the tag from broken info. Of course, prompt to user before executing. 

For unsupported file types, it's possible to leave them aside with prompt to user. The prompt may include info that warns user about unsupported file and possible loss on tag information if the file location has been moved. 

p.s. Although this feature haven't been added to PA yet, New Playlist Manager helped a lot on organizing my music files (thanks to @andrewilley for sharing). 

Archived