Sorting playlists with multiple albums not logical

storoa

After adding several albums to a new playlist, I'm unable to get back to original order after doing a shuffle (random sort) and sorting again by album. Album sort totally illogical. Closest good sort is done sorting by date added but tracks are not in a logically sorted order; track 02 above track 01, other tracks also randomly out of order. Sorts should be done on current sorted order but the app doesn't take that into consideration. I would like to get to original sorted order. This only shows up with more than one album in a playlist. A great app but this the only complaint I have. 1st image is of sort done by date added, second by album. 3rd by filename.

Screenshot_20181229-194800[1].png

Screenshot_20181229-195131[1].png

Screenshot_20181229-195320[1].png

The problem is that Playlists are just a long list of files to playback, there is no internal concept of album or other grouping within them (other than if you happened to create them that way) so hence there is no List Options to display or play them in a different sequence. The Re-sort option permanently juggles that list of filenames into a new order, so the originally-added sequence would be gone. 

Andre

Yes sorting is a basic function, however for Playlists (which are just a list of filenames) the re-sort option writes the new order back to the playlist itself, so the originally built order will get overwritten by that process and cannot be recalled. The sort options are listed in the menu, but sorting by Date Added is not especially useful in your case (particularly if you use filesystem time/date stamp ordering). You can only sort by one layer (filename, or title, or track #, etc), there is no dual-layer sort facility for playlists (such as Artists>Albums>Track#) 

Perhaps you might find a third-party playlist manager (such as New Playlist Manager from the Play Store) useful?

Andre

Thanks. I looked at what's available but not impressed enough to add another app for music manipulation. Will just have to live with bug and never sort 'Abbey Road' or "Dark Side of the Moon' in playlist mode.

Screenshot_20190101-182802[1].png

Screenshot_20190101-182834[1].png

Screenshot_20190101-182852[1].png

There is a sort mode in Folders which provides sorting including the full path as well as just the current folder name, which would be a really useful option for Playlist re-sorting too.

@maxmp what do you think, could you add an extra sorting mode to Playlist Re-sort to allow sorting by the full path/filename? That would be a lot more useful than just the filename portion for larger or more varied playlists.

Andre

Thanks for considering this. I really enjoy the new interface and everything about 816. It's amazing to read all of the negative comments about the latest update. This is really the best music app of it's kind in both the android and ios worlds. It kicks foobar's ass, which I've been beta testing for some time. It would be nice to integrate a batch tag editor into the interface in future releases.

Archived