Poweramp Build 815

maxmp

22 minutes ago, supcube said:

Yes, V2 had numerical sorting. I had the same music when i used v2 and it was sorted numerically.

I just re-checked with build 588, and PA v2 does NOT provide natural numerical ordering when the song-level ordering is set to "By Title" (I checked in both Albums and Artists views). In all cases, I found that the displayed sequence showed as "1 Title" first, then "10 Title", then "2 Title" - i.e. it performed a pure ASCII alphanumeric sort (with the extra option to ignore articles, such as "The", "A", or "An") rather than an intelligent natural sort (which would have resulted in "1 Title" > "2 Title" > "10 Title").

However why are you putting prefix numbers in the actual Title strings in your tags anyway? That's what the Track# tag is for. For filenames that does makes more sense though, and I always use two-digit numbering in my filenames for just that reason (e.g. "01 Title.mp3", "02 Title.mp3", "10 Title.mp3", etc). Sometimes even 3 digits for large folders.

Andre

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/1/2019 at 11:04 AM, andrewilley said:

I just re-checked with build 588, and PA v2 does NOT provide natural numerical ordering when the song-level ordering is set to "By Title" (I checked in both Albums and Artists views). In all cases, I found that the displayed sequence showed as "1 Title" first, then "10 Title", then "2 Title" - i.e. it performed a pure ASCII alphanumeric sort (with the extra option to ignore articles, such as "The", "A", or "An") rather than an intelligent natural sort (which would have resulted in "1 Title" > "2 Title" > "10 Title").

However why are you putting prefix numbers in the actual Title strings in your tags anyway? That's what the Track# tag is for. For filenames that does makes more sense though, and I always use two-digit numbering in my filenames for just that reason (e.g. "01 Title.mp3", "02 Title.mp3", "10 Title.mp3", etc). Sometimes even 3 digits for large folders.

Andre

So i went back to the latest v2 available on Poweramp's webpage and it seems you're right.

(What i showed in the screenshot were not songs, they were albums, so #track does not affect the sorting of the albums but the songs inside them. The prefixes shown in the albums are actually used by the artist himself, which is somewhat useful given that there are multiple albums released every year.)

I don't know exactly what is going on. I used to listen to the same music in v2 and it was sorted in the way that i want. So i guess this has turned into a request.

Is it possible to add something like a toggle maybe on the 'Lists' submenu?  Maybe an option to use something other than ASCII to perform the sorting?

Ah, if it's album titles then yes I see why Track# would not help.

The easiest solution for now would be to use a batch tag editor to simply change all the 1, 2, 3, 4 numbering to 01, 02, 03, 04. That would be guaranteed to work whatever sorting method is implemented. I use TagScanner on my PC to do this as it's far to faffy a job to do on a phone's touch screen.

Another option (and the one I prefer) would be to use Folder sorting rather than Album view. As long as your music is tidily saved in folders, it's much easier to simply rename a folder rather than editing the tags of every file inside each album. And that way the displayed info for songs (which is always gathered from the tags anyway) can stay as originally intended.

Andre

• 2 months later...
On 12/28/2018 at 12:42 PM, MotleyG said:

With 815, the artist display on the Now Playing screen always shows Album Artist, regardless of selection in the Library settings. Even after selection from Album or Album Artist list, I would expect to see the actual performing Artist when the Now Playing main window is showing.

There was a lengthy discussion about this in December. Several other users echoed their agreement that while using the Album Artist tag for browsing was helpful, the Now Playing screen should still display the current track Artist tag.

Is there any expectation that something will be implemented to support this? For compilation albums especially, this would be a benefit to see the actual artist performing once the track is actually playing. I'm currently on 820 with no change.

Yes, this would be a great option. I have the entire Time/Life collection of 50's and 60's Rock and Roll which is somewhere between 70 and 80 CD's. I have set Album Artist to Various and then the Artist is set to the actual performer of the track. It would be very nice to go to Album Artist = "Time Life" and pick one of these albums and then in the track listing for this album and in the now playing screen be able to see the actual performer for each track.

Archived