Scrolling through artists is straining, feedback on how to improve list view

Guenselmann

Having used Poweramp for many years the new design came as a surprise to me. I decided to register and make this post because I currently find scrolling through (a lot of) artists unenjoyable. Maybe I can convince the devs to change a few things.

I prepared a screenshot in both v2 and v3 ("list - small") of the Artists view for comparison. The phone used is a BQ Aquaris X5 Plus with a 5.0" 1920x1080 screen.

I'd like to start by saying that the new design looks nicer because it is more clean. Hiding the top and bottom bars automatically is a good idea and the alphabetical quick-jump bar on the right is also very useful. In comparison, the old design shows a lot of redundant information such as those useless microphone icons next to each artist and "Titel: " below every artist. Small sidenote since it also appplies to the new design: I personally think showing the amount of albums per artist would be more useful than the total amount of tracks. Maybe this could be an option?

Now, what is my problem with the new design? I think it comes down to too much wasted screen space. Count the number of artists visible on the screen in both versions: 8 in v2 and barely 7 in v3. So although the top and bottom bars are now hidden, there is less information on the screen and it is spread further apart. It not only takes longer to scroll through, your eyes also have to scan across the whole height of screen all the time, which is straining at least for me.

I think that all of this can be fixed very easily:

1. In the current "list - small" view, make the album covers square and shrink them, resulting in a more compact list. Please abandon the idea of cutting square art into circles. You lose a significant amount of the image without any benefit. As you can see, text is often cut off.
  2. Introduce a "pure" list view without cover art which is even more compact, comparable to the old design. Since per artist only one cover can be shown anyway, their usefulness is questionable to me.

Thanks for reading my post. I tried to be as constructive as possible because I want to continue using this great player!

gxMC2uI.png

Thanks for responding!

After making this thread I dug into the settings again and realized that showing album covers is kind of a fallback and those circles are supposed to show images of the actual artists if available. I've personally never come across a .mp3 with such an image, so it didn't cross my mind.

Having "List - Compact" as @andrewilleysuggested would make me happy. Making the circle images optional if possible would be perfect :)

1 hour ago, Guenselmann said:

Thanks for responding!

After making this thread I dug into the settings again and realized that showing album covers is kind of a fallback and those circles are supposed to show images of the actual artists if available. I've personally never come across a .mp3 with such an image, so it didn't cross my mind.

Btw you can add the artists images in the PA folder or tag it into the file. Although I'm not sure that the second method will work properly.

Archived