Read First: Poweramp v3 is now the official version of the product, with new features and a new user-interface

andrewilley

Poweramp has now officially been updated from the aging v2 product to a brand new Material Design v3 release, and Google Play users will receive the new version, and any future updates, automatically. This is happening in a staged manner across all markets over an approximately one-month period, which has already commenced. Even though this is a major update it is a free upgrade, so existing paid licences will continue to work. Note: Poweramp v3 is only compatible with Android 5.0 (Lollipop) and higher, however users of devices running KitKat (4.x) and earlier can still continue to use the old final v2 build (588).

The brand new design and features have taken about three years of solid work by the developer, in conjunction with lots of feedback from the userbase via these forums - including numerous alpha and beta test releases, thread discussions and user-polls. For the past year or so, Google Play users have also been able to opt-in to the beta testing programme too via the app main page in the Play Store. Lots of tweaks and adjustments have taken place since those early betas, and many interface features are now user-configurable as a result (including the positioning of text items on the player screen, the number and type of control buttons, the thumbs/stars ratings system, and several styles of seek bar).

Skins and themes are already starting to become available for v3 should you want to adjust the look of the app still further, but please note than older v2 skins will no longer work (unless their devs update them) because the interface elements have all been completely rebuilt and it is not possible to make them backward-compatible.

Even with this lengthy and interactive development cycle, some users have been finding the sudden changes are a bit unexpected and even overwhelming, and there is obviously going to be a bit of a learning curve as the entire app has effectively been rebuilt from the ground up. Think of it as waking one morning up to find your old 2010 car has been replaced with the latest 2018 model - and for free too!

If after trying v3 for a while you find you still prefer the older, simpler design - or that the new features (such as the improved high-res audio engine) are not important to you - you are welcome to join the KitKat users and continue to use the old v2 product for as long as you want. An installable .apk file can be downloaded from the Downloads tab at the top of this page, and you will need to turn Auto Updates off in Google Play's Poweramp page. Please remember that v2 is now considered to be a legacy product, so if you continue to use it there will be no further updates or bug fixes, and it cannot be guaranteed to work forever with future Android versions.

The development of Poweramp is an ongoing process of course, and everyone is very welcome to get involved with the discussions here, request new features or changes, and report any bugs. Please make your comments sensible and constructive,  with details about exactly what you would like to see changed and why (screenshots are great for this), as just jumping straight in with "this is ***** bad because it's changed from what it looked like before" is ultimately pointless, and your comment will be treated with the contempt it deserves.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Mrmahdi said:

@andrewilleyExcellent just an important question. Do it
 Updates will continue for the program or will there be no new updates?

Updates are happening very regularly to the new v3 versions of the app, yes. However there most likely won't be any updates to the legacy v2 version.

Andre

52 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

Updates are happening very regularly to the new v3 versions of the app, yes. However there most likely won't be any updates to the legacy v2 version.

Andre

hi

is build 814 is final version?

1 hour ago, Ajit Raj said:

As V3 is official now, should I leave from the beta program?

And if I left from the beta program will I get all the updates??

It's up to you, if you leave the beta programme it might take a few days longer to get new stuff if Max makes any releases via the beta system first - but you'll still get regular app updates when they are issued.

Andre

50 minutes ago, h.h said:

is build 814 is final version?

Poweramp v3 was considered to be the official product as from build 808. As with all apps though, development doesn't stop because a product has been released, and further updates will get issued periodically (roughly weekly at the moment, but it can vary of course - especially if adding large or complex code changes).

Andre

@andrewilley @maxmp

Hello devs! Just wanted to congratulate for the new astonishing interface. Personally I really love it it feels very natural to use. I'd have a question about the new audio engine because I'm having an odd issue.

The sound itself is no more the same, when I want to increase the bass or play with some settings, the engine seems to overload and the sound comes out over amped and for the sake of my own sanity I had to go back to the V2. 

While the new interface is amazing, the new sound is quite bad in my experience. Are you thinking about adding a setting or a switch to use the V2 audio engine instead? Or are you planning for future updates for improvements the V3 audio engine?

Thanks @andrewilley @maxmp for good work.

I had requested several times in this forum for "mouse scroll support" in library view, which was working fine till alpha versions. Suddenly the support was gone when the app entered beta stages. Since I use it extensively on my Android tv box I miss this feature very much. 

Can this be provided in final stages of this app development? 

You may note that the mouse scroll work very well in Settings screen. 

This request may be paid heed to for the last time. 

Thanks in advance. 

3 minutes ago, maxmp said:

Mouse (and other pointers, e.g. TV remote) support is planned and won't be delayed much - just let me rectify all these small tweaks people are requesting now 🙂

Thanks @maxmpfinally you have responded to my issue. Glad to know that it is in the pipeline.

Eagerly waiting for the feature to appear in next possible version. 

Just to remind you it was working in alpha versions. 

i have mentioned this problem in another thread, only the pointer for my remote control works, arrow keys do nothing, as im using app on android box connected to 50inch tv, i have the screen in landscape mode in look and feel, library set to folders or folders hierarchy depending on my mood, as i have discographies of bands, i must point out im using an usb air mouse the type with remote control on one side and keyboard on the other, i cannot scroll up down left or right with arrow keys, the original remote does not work either with arrow keys either, i have installed version 2 and it lets me scroll with my remote control arrow keys. will version 3 be fixed ?

On 12/18/2018 at 5:46 AM, andrewilley said:

Poweramp has now officially been updated from the aging v2 product to a brand new Material Design v3 release, and Google Play users will receive the new version, and any future updates, automatically. This is happening in a staged manner across all markets over an approximately one-month period, which has already commenced. Even though this is a major update it is a free upgrade, so existing paid licences will continue to work. Note: Poweramp v3 is only compatible with Android 5.0 (Lollipop) and higher, however users of devices running KitKat (4.x) and earlier can still continue to use the old final v2 build (588).

The brand new design and features have taken about three years of solid work by the developer, in conjunction with lots of feedback from the userbase via these forums - including numerous alpha and beta test releases, thread discussions and user-polls. For the past year or so, Google Play users have also been able to opt-in to the beta testing programme too via the app main page in the Play Store. Lots of tweaks and adjustments have taken place since those early betas, and many interface features are now user-configurable as a result (including the positioning of text items on the player screen, the number and type of control buttons, the thumbs/stars ratings system, and several styles of seek bar).

Skins and themes are already starting to become available for v3 should you want to adjust the look of the app still further, but please note than older v2 skins will no longer work (unless their devs update them) because the interface elements have all been completely rebuilt and it is not possible to make them backward-compatible.

Even with this lengthy and interactive development cycle, some users have been finding the sudden changes are a bit unexpected and even overwhelming, and there is obviously going to be a bit of a learning curve as the entire app has effectively been rebuilt from the ground up. Think of it as waking one morning up to find your old 2010 car has been replaced with the latest 2018 model - and for free too!

If after trying v3 for a while you find you still prefer the older, simpler design - or that the new features (such as the improved high-res audio engine) are not important to you - you are welcome to join the KitKat users and continue to use the old v2 product for as long as you want. An installable .apk file can be downloaded from the Downloads tab at the top of this page, and you will need to turn Auto Updates off in Google Play's Poweramp page. Please remember that v2 is now considered to be a legacy product, so if you continue to use it there will be no further updates or bug fixes, and it cannot be guaranteed to work forever with future Android versions.

The development of Poweramp is an ongoing process of course, and everyone is very welcome to get involved with the discussions here, request new features or changes, and report any bugs. Please make your comments sensible and constructive,  with details about exactly what you would like to see changed and why (screenshots are great for this), as just jumping straight in with "this is ***** bad because it's changed from what it looked like before" is ultimately pointless, and your comment will be treated with the contempt it deserves.

Hey Andre,

Yeah JUST saw this the other day. SO very happy this finally happened!! Love that you can adjust where the album metadata displays, the 100-step volume option, Hi-Res Output, the awesome UI that outdoes the rest, etc!! Great job Max!!!! 👌👌

Hey, guys, I don't have a problem with the new design, so congrats on that, but you really have to bring back the previous full track navigation line. This one looks ugly under the buttons, plus why make it harder to navigate? Like, what's the issue with just clicking on the spot where you want to rewind? Why does it have to be this stupid holding thing instead? Also, I'm not sure if artist album pictures are a good idea, can you make it simply a list without any images? Oh, and I remember the previous version had a very cool multicolored blurred pattern, fitting to the artwork, now it's reduced just to one color, which is kinda lame. However, good job, looking for some updates real soon!

P.S. Where do I click to see the current "Now playing" playlist/tracklist when playing an album or an artist's discography?

P.S.S. Can you bring back the function to play an album when holding the finger on it? It goes to the menu, but there's no play button. I think it's more convenient when you don't have to open the album menu.

P.S.S.S. Uh, it goes straight to the top of the library after you go back, it used to be where the last album you played was. Sorry, guys, but you really have a lot of stuff to fix. Good luck though!

1) Settings > Look and Feel > Skin > Static Seekbar

2) Tap on the cover artwork and you will be taken to the currently playlist album/artist/whatever list. If you want a different view to your current playback mode (e.g. you are playing a Folder and you want to look at the current Artist's other songs) long-press on the cover artwork and choose Artist (or Folder or Album accordingly).

3) Tap on the album name (not long-press) and the Play icon is at the top of the list screen (along with Shuffle, Select, etc that used to be in the long-press pop-up menu).

4) When you tap the cover artwork, you should be taken straight to the current song shown in the current list (already scrolled down to the location of that song, which will be highlighted). This works whether the song is still playing or not.

Andre

Oh snap!

1) Thanks, feels a little bit weird, but it works!

2) Yes, figured it out too by clicking on the album name and etc, guess just gotta get used to it now.

3) Well, that's the point, it was better when the play icon was in the long press pop-up menu. I get that it's not much of a change basically, but, man, it's just an icon, why remove it.

4) Finally gotcha, ha-ha! I played two Arctic Monkeys albums from the artist menu and they actually formed a coherent list (thanks for that), but when I tap on the artwork it doesn't show the full playlist, it only shows the tracks for the one album playing.

Anyway, thank you for answering!

11 minutes ago, doomjitsu said:

3) Well, that's the point, it was better when the play icon was in the long press pop-up menu. I get that it's not much of a change basically, but, man, it's just an icon, why remove it.

4) Finally gotcha, ha-ha! I played two Arctic Monkeys albums from the artist menu and they actually formed a coherent list (thanks for that), but when I tap on the artwork it doesn't show the full playlist, it only shows the tracks for the one album playing.

Anyway, thank you for answering!

3) It's easier now, just a simple tap away rather than having to work out to use a long-press.

4) If you want to see more than the current album, you'd need to create a Playlist.

Andre

lol why does it list this song called "Self Esteem" as a separate album and it says that the title is "Love in the Time of Human Papillomavirus", but you can see that the tags are correct

P. S. OK this is ridiculous, why does the player stop after some songs are done playing in the background, it's almost like it crashes silently. you guys have a lot of stuff to do

Screenshot_2018-12-23-21-47-41-971_com.maxmpz.audioplayer.png

IMG_20181223_214926.jpg

mother_of_god_in_hd_by_lemmino-d64ndao.png.e4b715d6ee3da89a694faa594cf875e5.png  this is actually a new version... 

Old design were too long with us. I would miss it, like old friend which I will never see again 😔

Everything works great. I were shocked of changes, but all previous neat functional were available in the settings. Like the great feature of goes to the album from the track or full timeline within the screen width (I think many people would be scared of default seaking style). Also it finely works with MUIU lock screen correctly as for me. It were piss me off on previous version.

Developers you are Great

Archived