Jump to content
Ravi Krishnan

Album with same name spreaded in many.

Recommended Posts

Most of those tracks seems to have different Artist details, which means it's considered someone else's album unless you have also set the Album Artist tag on your files to the same value for each file.

Andre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, if the "Album Artist" tag is different on different songs, the album will be split into different albums? This was not the behavior of V2. I have a very large number of compilation albums where both the "artist" and "album artist" differ from song to song. Am I just SOL with Poweramp V3?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, maxmp said:

Use just "Albums" not "Albums by Artist" (which is intended to split albums like this, in v2 too).
 

I am using the "Albums" list, not "Albums by Artist." See screenshot below. Note that the first album is broken up into four "albums" according to the artist and albumartist tags, which happen to be the same in each case. I suspect my tagging does not play well with how Poweramp V3 sorts and lists albums. In V2 these split albums appeared as single albums. (I also have the "Join Albums" feature enabled, if that matters.)

Screenshot_20181218-141620_Poweramp.thumb.jpg.ebbb56d4e73ce9a4004fa36b474952c8.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, richardsull said:

I am using the "Albums" list, not "Albums by Artist." See screenshot below. Note that the first album is broken up into four "albums" according to the artist and albumartist tags, which happen to be the same in each case. I suspect my tagging does not play well with how Poweramp V3 sorts and lists albums. In V2 these split albums appeared as single albums. (I also have the "Join Albums" feature enabled, if that matters.)

There are four different artist names on that first album title - are the Album Artist tags identical so PA knows it's really the same item rather than a same-name album by different artists. Consider several 25-track albums each called the same name "Greatest Hits", but by different artists (such The Beatles, Rod Stewart, David Bowie and Coldplay). The four albums should be listed as separate albums, not all grouped together as one huge "Greatest Hits" album with 100 tracks.

Andre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

There are four different artist names on that first album title - are the Album Artist tags identical so PA knows it's really the same item rather than a same-name album by different artists. Consider several 25-track albums each called the same name "Greatest Hits", but by different artists (such The Beatles, Rod Stewart, David Bowie and Coldplay). The four albums should be listed as separate albums, not all grouped together as one huge "Greatest Hits" album with 100 tracks.

Andre

Yes, this is what I was thinking. However, I have thousands of files tagged using "artist" and "albumartist" in a different way. It sounds like V3 is just not going to work for me (and I'm not going to retag thousands of tracks to make Poweramp work again).

In the case of Greatest Hits albums, I would name the albums something like "Greatest Hits [Beatles]", "Greatest Hits [Rod Stewart]", etc. I used the "artist" tag for something like "Sonny Rollins", while "albumartist" for the same album might be "Sonny Rollins Quintet featuring Art Blakey" (or whatever actually appears on the album cover).

Unless Poweramp adds a feature that really would group albums of the same name but different "artist" and "albumartist", I'm not going to be able to use it easily. I never had any trouble with V2 though. It worked just fine even with my alternative tagging method.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please check if settings / Library / Lists / Join Albums option is enabled (it is by default).

Poweramp uses album artist tag for grouping only in Album Artists category.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, richardsull said:

In the case of Greatest Hits albums, I would name the albums something like "Greatest Hits [Beatles]", "Greatest Hits [Rod Stewart]", etc. I

Yes, that's what I used to do before Max added the Join Albums option and Album Artist tag support.

Andre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, maxmp said:

Please check if settings / Library / Lists / Join Albums option is enabled (it is by default).

Poweramp uses album artist tag for grouping only in Album Artists category.

I have the same problem and Join Albums is enabled. Since I'm not going to retag thousands of MP3's is there no other option for me other than to go back to V2?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/19/2018 at 3:20 AM, maxmp said:

Please check if settings / Library / Lists / Join Albums option is enabled (it is by default).

Poweramp uses album artist tag for grouping only in Album Artists category.

Join Album is enabled but not working

Fix "Join Album" options. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If both the Track Artist and the Album Artist are different between two tracks, then regardless of whether they happen to share the same album name then they should be treated as different physical albums.

I recently gave an example in another similar thread of why this is important: I have a CD entitled "Time" by ELO, and my wife has a different album also called "Time" which is the soundtrack to a Dave Clark musical that starred Cliff Richard. If only the wording in Album Title was used for grouping, all of the tracks from both of these two albums would get lumped together as one big album, which is obviously wrong.

Andre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...