Album with same name spreaded in many.

Ravi Krishnan

So, if the "Album Artist" tag is different on different songs, the album will be split into different albums? This was not the behavior of V2. I have a very large number of compilation albums where both the "artist" and "album artist" differ from song to song. Am I just SOL with Poweramp V3?

1 hour ago, maxmp said:

Use just "Albums" not "Albums by Artist" (which is intended to split albums like this, in v2 too).

I am using the "Albums" list, not "Albums by Artist." See screenshot below. Note that the first album is broken up into four "albums" according to the artist and albumartist tags, which happen to be the same in each case. I suspect my tagging does not play well with how Poweramp V3 sorts and lists albums. In V2 these split albums appeared as single albums. (I also have the "Join Albums" feature enabled, if that matters.)

Screenshot_20181218-141620_Poweramp.thumb.jpg.ebbb56d4e73ce9a4004fa36b474952c8.jpg

7 minutes ago, richardsull said:

I am using the "Albums" list, not "Albums by Artist." See screenshot below. Note that the first album is broken up into four "albums" according to the artist and albumartist tags, which happen to be the same in each case. I suspect my tagging does not play well with how Poweramp V3 sorts and lists albums. In V2 these split albums appeared as single albums. (I also have the "Join Albums" feature enabled, if that matters.)

There are four different artist names on that first album title - are the Album Artist tags identical so PA knows it's really the same item rather than a same-name album by different artists. Consider several 25-track albums each called the same name "Greatest Hits", but by different artists (such The Beatles, Rod Stewart, David Bowie and Coldplay). The four albums should be listed as separate albums, not all grouped together as one huge "Greatest Hits" album with 100 tracks.

Andre

59 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

There are four different artist names on that first album title - are the Album Artist tags identical so PA knows it's really the same item rather than a same-name album by different artists. Consider several 25-track albums each called the same name "Greatest Hits", but by different artists (such The Beatles, Rod Stewart, David Bowie and Coldplay). The four albums should be listed as separate albums, not all grouped together as one huge "Greatest Hits" album with 100 tracks.

Andre

Yes, this is what I was thinking. However, I have thousands of files tagged using "artist" and "albumartist" in a different way. It sounds like V3 is just not going to work for me (and I'm not going to retag thousands of tracks to make Poweramp work again).

In the case of Greatest Hits albums, I would name the albums something like "Greatest Hits [Beatles]", "Greatest Hits [Rod Stewart]", etc. I used the "artist" tag for something like "Sonny Rollins", while "albumartist" for the same album might be "Sonny Rollins Quintet featuring Art Blakey" (or whatever actually appears on the album cover).

Unless Poweramp adds a feature that really would group albums of the same name but different "artist" and "albumartist", I'm not going to be able to use it easily. I never had any trouble with V2 though. It worked just fine even with my alternative tagging method.

14 hours ago, maxmp said:

Please check if settings / Library / Lists / Join Albums option is enabled (it is by default).

Poweramp uses album artist tag for grouping only in Album Artists category.

I have the same problem and Join Albums is enabled. Since I'm not going to retag thousands of MP3's is there no other option for me other than to go back to V2?

If both the Track Artist and the Album Artist are different between two tracks, then regardless of whether they happen to share the same album name then they should be treated as different physical albums.

I recently gave an example in another similar thread of why this is important: I have a CD entitled "Time" by ELO, and my wife has a different album also called "Time" which is the soundtrack to a Dave Clark musical that starred Cliff Richard. If only the wording in Album Title was used for grouping, all of the tracks from both of these two albums would get lumped together as one big album, which is obviously wrong.

Andre

Archived