Poweramp
byacey

How can the devs be so blind? V3 UI is a horrid mess

When you are ok with the new stuff on the supposed "world" of people who aren't, and didn't made an account on the forum just to complain about that:

Feels good man e.e

But seriously, the world is rotating, and things change like you or not. The world is also not you so if you aren't happy with that go complain with your God or something. There's a few points that I too would like to change on V3 but it's minor stuff and I've been using the app without a problem when it comes to UI.

Just want to finish this random comment with a bright "Thank You" to Max, that is being very patient and didn't dropped the app. Also Andre that is too being very patient with all this stuff, lol

The UI is nice enough and the sound is astonishing, just deal with it.

Why did you remove swiping up/down to change folders? This allowed me to use the app blind, which is very important for in-car use. Now I have to go through lists to change the playing folder. I find this very time-wasting and absolutely dangerous for in-car use. I don't want to and cannot look down on the screen to change folders while driving! It might sound stupid, but I'm not willing to crash for v3...

Tell me if I'm missing a setting for this, I can't find one.

I can live with the rest of the update, though I would be absolutely fine with just some updated designs. If somebody has an alternative app with this swiping functionality, please tell me. I honestly advise you to release v2 as a stand-alone app, v3 is not for everyone. You were one of the few slim-UI music players with lots of functionality which is something rare nowadays. I've been using this app for >6 years now, without any issues.

On Tue Dec 18 2018 at 4:56 PM, andrewilley said:

So how do you propose the dev asks the other 99.999% of users for their opinions? …

On a purely personal note as a Poweramp user myself, I commented at the time that new audio and operational features were more important to me than adding a flashy rebuilt Material Design interface, but when 55% of a four-way vote went for updating the interface, I found myself in the minority and obviously the dev had to follow the public's request as far as he could see it. Now though, I like a lot of the results of Max's three years of hard work, it looks far more modern and enticing to first time users. There were some aspects that I, and other users, weren't so keen on, but Max has been very good about creating options to allow people to customise the interface to their own preferences (and you can always use skins anyway, just like the old version).

maybe the users who get involved with beta version are the people who love to change, this may lead to a "bias" situation as you can see many old user who hadn't participated in beta program will more likely dislike v3.

Such a big step change , is it advisable?

Still,  thanks for the development.

On 12/24/2018 at 1:17 AM, ScarletNeko said:

The UI is nice enough and the sound is astonishing, just deal with it.

Except that the functionality now sux. Form over function, is that really what matters most?

After using the new version, there are even more things that don't appear to have been thought out.

Randomized playing from a folder, for instance. Used to be to randomize a list, it was a simple click and hold, wallah. Nice!

Now it's a fucking nightmare. Open the list, click play on the list (not on any 1 individual song on accident or you'll get to listen to that 1 song over and over and over and over). Then, once the list is playing, press the random button. But don't do it just once or you'll randomize ALL songs, not just the ones in your list that you are trying to listen to.

Also, even though you set it to randomize the songs in a list, the next time you switch lists it won't remember that. Oh no. You're going to have to reset your random choice yet again.

What once took 1 click now takes 3!! This is progress??

All I want for Christmas is for the developers to admit they fucked up and fix it. Stop trying to put lipstick on a pig.

8 hours ago, Ghoztt said:

How do I get the old UI on my Android?

Download from forum, disable automatic update for Poweramp.

5 hours ago, TheDoc said:

Randomized playing from a folder, for instance. Used to be to randomize a list, it was a simple click and hold

Maxmp already announced that this would be reintroduced in one of the next versions. It hadn't been used by that many users.

4 minutes ago, blaubär said:

Maxmp already announced that this would be reintroduced in one of the next versions. It hadn't been used by that many users.

It's a Christmas miracle!!

But seriously, who doesn't use randomize list almost exclusively?? Aside from like 4 albums in history (and all of classical music, I suppose) why would anyone ever listen to a cd/playlist in the same order again and again?

21 minutes ago, TheDoc said:

why would anyone ever listen to a cd/playlist in the same order again and again? 

Because Neil Young and John Lennon thought that order to be the one most suitable to their piece of art ?

4 hours ago, TheDoc said:

But seriously, who doesn't use randomize list almost exclusively??

I guess anyone who accepts that musicians probably know quite a bit about their music (certainly more than you or I) and they spent a lot of time fine-tuning the specific tracks on their album, the order in which they are designed to be played, and actually even the length of the gaps between tracks. Sadly a lot of that is wasted on the streaming generation, who tend to listen more to automated lists and/or single tracks rather than proper albums, but at least you do have the choice.

And yes, PA's Shuffle modes work just fine, exactly like they used to in fact. The options have not really changed for many years (certainly since v2). The buttons may be in slightly different places now of course, and there's less need to mess around with long-presses, etc . There is however one specific feature which didn't get ported over in the code rebuild though, in that random playback of a folder AND its subfolders (all together) does not work like it did, which Max has said is now on his to-do list since people have mentioned it. But other than that, all the shuffle modes are there pretty much as before (some wording in the descriptions has been made clearer) and you can still choose between them with the same Shuffle icon just below the cover artwork on the right-hand side.of the player screen.

Andre

36 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

they spent a lot of time fine-tuning the specific tracks on their album, the order in which they are designed to be played, and actually even the length of the gaps between tracks.

It's true indeed. I can give a lot of examples when the strict order is not only made only in the sake of abstract art concept, but 1) to maintain smooth gapless transition of on song to another; 2) song intro which are usually the first track in the album, but it's not a strict rule keeping in mind Chris Rea's The Road to Hell; 3) in some comedy genres e.g. Austrian Death Machine there are a lot of tracks with speech which are intros or some kind of logical/art connections between tracks. 

Personally I often use randomized list, but the cases mentioned above in such list are a bit disturbing. In MusicBee there is a convenient walk-around that ties two or more tracks together even in randomized lists (this fucntion could be introduced to PA as well).

5 hours ago, blaubär said:

Because Neil Young and John Lennon thought that order to be the one most suitable to their piece of art ?

I use album shuffle only, I'm a musician, I respect others work, tracks in order! :)

1 hour ago, NickIst said:

In MusicBee there is a convenient walk-around that ties two or more tracks together even in randomized lists

I have several albums where one 'track' leads directly and seamlessly into another, either as an intro/main, or perhaps as three segments of the same piece. In more than one case I rip them as a single combined MP3 as I would never want to hear the first part without the other.

Andre

Create Playlist/s of the tracks or a whole album  then play that in random/shuffle. That is what I do. Simple. Pick each track you want to listen in random as some are intros, skits etc. Playing an album in shuffle forfeits the organization of the songs especially when they have intro, skits or interlude as they are connected to the next song. 

54 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

I have several albums where one 'track' leads directly and seamlessly into another, either as an intro/main, or perhaps as three segments of the same piece. In more than one case I rip them as a single combined MP3 as I would never want to hear the first part without the other.

Andre

That's a variant but it takes a bit more efforts. In MB you just select two or more songs and then tick "playback consequently in mixing" in the corresponding menu. Unfortunately this option is read only in the MB

On 12/20/2018 at 11:35 AM, andrewilley said:

I really wish there was a way to ask those 99% of users in advance, but if you can think of one please let me know. Otherwise, as I've said, the dev can only go by the comments of those who do feel strongly enough to get involved with the process. Many things have already been tweaked and adjusted from his original design during that process by the way, and a lot of options added. I'm sure there will be more too, but app development is always a fluid process.

At least it's better than Apple's "our way or no way" approach anyway, where they tell you what you will like.

Andre

That's simple and some apps do this is to have an option to invite people to the forums especially when Max decides a new version poll is happening here. Like on first installation it pops up but make it optional.  

Initial run of the app after installation. This should happen before hints. A prompt message saying:

"Would you like to participate in Poweramp forums for future releases?" Options should be Yes or No.

Answering YES should show a prompt message saying "We will now open up your browser to the powerampapp.com forum registration page please register to have a voice in what you want in the next release". Press okay or cancel. Finally, if OKAY is pressed then it should open up the browser to PowerAmpapp.com forums registration page. Of course it should never re-appear each time the app is loaded.

Answering "No" would simply close the prompt and never open again but leave it as an option in settings. The option in Settings should say "I care about Poweramp". When it is pressed the same prompt appears with "We will now open up your browser to the powerampapp.com forum registration page please register to have a voice in what you want in the next release" Okay or Cancel. Again never to re-appear. Pressing Cancel closes the prompt never to reappear

So now Poweramp should have a means to mass invite to the new polls if users have notifications by email turned on.

That's how it's supposed to be done and well performed by a lot of app developers.

Why?

That answer is simple as well. When most users install the trial version they don't really pay much attention to the bottom of the app page on the Play Store page where the web link is. Secondly when auto-updates are on and its time to update no one sees the web link. It just updates in the back ground. 

I don't think I've ever seen an app that pops up a message about getting involved with the development process, although many apps do have some sort of user forum. It's usually left up to the user to opt in to, even when an update is a major overhaul (which does happen quite often to a lot of apps). In PA's case, the forum is mentioned in the app download page and in the Get Support page.

Andre

I like v3 so much I've already forgotten how v2 used to work or look like. Look, even if you grew up in an environment where there's negativity and un-constructive criticism all day all night, this is a public forum, so show some currently-lacking decency in your choice of words.

1 minute ago, quirK said:

I like v3 so much I've already forgotten how v2 used to work or look like. Look, even if you grew up in an environment where there's negativity and un-constructive criticism all day all night, this is a public forum, so show some currently-lacking decency in your choice of words.

v3 kills a few important use cases, you can't just do that and expect all the users to be happy...

7 hours ago, andrewilley said:

I don't think I've ever seen an app that pops up a message about getting involved with the development process, although many apps do have some sort of user forum. It's usually left up to the user to opt in to, even when an update is a major overhaul (which does happen quite often to a lot of apps). In PA's case, the forum is mentioned in the app download page and in the Get Support page.

Andre

When I read the "it's what a (very small) part of the community voted for" I'm reminded that it was a small group who thought that New Coke would be superior to the original. That Netflix should split into 2 companies (Flickster anyone?). That Pepsi released a clear cola. Or that the original Galaxy Note had, as a feature, the ability to spontaneously light itself on fire. 

All these things passed through a small user group before the public wretched on them. Eerily similar to what's happening here (except those companies/products had the good sense to reverse course).

50 minutes ago, l3tz said:

v3 kills a few important use cases, you can't just do that and expect all the users to be happy...

You misunderstand. I simply expect users not to talk like 5 year old boys on a forum. There are worse things to rant about, and there's always v2. Build a strong case to bring v3 "up to parity", push the case with logic and data.

1 hour ago, TheDoc said:

All these things passed through a small user group before the public wretched on them.

Yes, and errors happened. And indeed there is no guarantee that PA has found the perfect decision algorithm.

But I don't know a better one. Strongly suggesting to lots of people to take part in decision making might be a good idea in politics. I think it would exceed the scope of what a music player app development should and could do.

10 hours ago, TheDoc said:

When I read the "it's what a (very small) part of the community voted for" I'm reminded that it was a small group who thought that New Coke would be superior to the original. That Netflix should split into 2 companies (Flickster anyone?). That Pepsi released a clear cola. Or that the original Galaxy Note had, as a feature, the ability to spontaneously light itself on fire. 

All these things passed through a small user group before the public wretched on them. Eerily similar to what's happening here (except those companies/products had the good sense to reverse course).

Did you forget the years of forum users blasting maxmp for letting v3 development stagnate? The righteous anger then was about lack of High Res playback, "outdated" graphics, totally no communication from max, and a few other isolated use cases by loud and vocal members of this forum community. Then the alpha and beta process started... from your point of view, this is a train wreck, which means you stood by and watched as the train "wrecked itself" during development, contributing nothing to its evolution. Now you are one of those forum users whining about v3 turning out this way, when the product is complete.

The one big difference between New Coke and Poweramp v3, is that you have to pay to drink New Coke. Use some logic. Poweramp is max's product, the years of whining didn't stop until HE decided to push development along. Now he has executed his vision for v3 and I happen to be one "easy-to-satisfy" user who likes the vision very much. Works better and has more slickness than all other Play Store apps out there.

8 hours ago, quirK said:

Did you forget the years of forum users blasting maxmp for letting v3 development stagnate? The righteous anger then was about lack of High Res playback, "outdated" graphics, totally no communication from max, and a few other isolated use cases by loud and vocal members of this forum community. Then the alpha and beta process started... from your point of view, this is a train wreck, which means you stood by and watched as the train "wrecked itself" during development, contributing nothing to its evolution. Now you are one of those forum users whining about v3 turning out this way, when the product is complete.

The one big difference between New Coke and Poweramp v3, is that you have to pay to drink New Coke. Use some logic. Poweramp is max's product, the years of whining didn't stop until HE decided to push development along. Now he has executed his vision for v3 and I happen to be one "easy-to-satisfy" user who likes the vision very much. Works better and has more slickness than all other Play Store apps out there.

It's an audio player FFS... why does it need high-rez graphics? The app worked perfectly for what it was, why would you expect the developers to communicate with people asking to put tits on a boar (i.e. add totally useless things). Why would I pay attention to a development process that shouldn't have been happening?

And, I happen to be a (long-time) paying customer, so my comparison to new Coke is perfectly valid. 

7 minutes ago, TheDoc said:

The righteous anger then was about lack of High Res playback, "outdated" graphics,

5 minutes ago, TheDoc said:

It's an audio player FFS... why does it need high-rez graphics?

Where did you see hi-res graphics (disregarding what it can mean)? V3 introduced new outputs and better audio playback, features which are strongly connected with an audioplayer, aren't they? But for those who like to compare something witk Coke this fact eludes.