Poweramp
byacey

How can the devs be so blind? V3 UI is a horrid mess

1 hour ago, blaubär said:

I don't think it helps to migrate divisions from the political theater into the Poweramp Discussion Forum.

I would therefore suggest not to call anybody a "hater" and not to use arguments ad hominem.

If people don't like Poweramp then that is OK. Nothing is perfect, neither me nor you nor Poweramp.

Too late 😈

17 hours ago, blaubär said:

> I would like to get rid of the display of vertical bar

use the "Dark default skin", there you can configure a lean progress bar

> now I need to "click" on the current track title

pull down album art, see main changelog / new navigation

> Now, I get an additional button at the top

you can customize the starting point of library access, e.g. to "Folders Hierarchy", that's probably what you want

Thanks for your help! But...

* I am using Dark skin; thanks for the hint, the wave display is now static - but it is still displayed. Better now, but not perfect - I'd prefer to not have it at all.

* I read and tried out the new navigation, however the only method I find to return to the main player interface (with play/skip buttons) is by clicking the currently selected/played song title

* Thanks, I have customized the library display to only offer "Folder Hierarchy". However, this means I still have the top level "Library" menu, even if it now only contains a single item ("Folder Hierarchy") :-/

EDIT: I have just discovered the dark minimalist skin above, which allows me to hide the wave seekbar. Nice, thank you!

The only reason I know this forum exists is because I was sent here by clicking support in the app. Before this upgrade I've never required any. I've seen some on this forum making disingenuous implications that we (meaning your general simple users) are somehow at fault for not getting involved in feedback. Is it really the responsibility of the customer to seek out the developer to address changes when it isn't even evident by any common means they are going to take place? we aren't all tech nerds who follow and scrutinize the development of the software we use. If we like it, and it works, we buy it. You didn't just update it, you totally changed it almost beyond recognition. If you really couldn't see how this could result in the level of negativity it has, I think that's a little naive.
I Was particularly disheartened to read the comments made in the "Read first" sticky, which kindly informs us of the "contempt we deserve". Well good luck with that attitude. I hear it worked particularly well with some AAA game developers earlier this year.

1 hour ago, Morteus said:

The only reason I know this forum exists is because I was sent here by clicking support in the app. Before this upgrade I've never required any. I've seen some on this forum making disingenuous implications that we (meaning your general simple users) are somehow at fault for not getting involved in feedback. Is it really the responsibility of the customer to seek out the developer to address changes when it isn't even evident by any common means they are going to take place? we aren't all tech nerds who follow and scrutinize the development of the software we use. If we like it, and it works, we buy it. You didn't just update it, you totally changed it almost beyond recognition. If you really couldn't see how this could result in the level of negativity it has, I think that's a little naive.
I Was particularly disheartened to read the comments made in the "Read first" sticky, which kindly informs us of the "contempt we deserve". Well good luck with that attitude. I hear it worked particularly well with some AAA game developers earlier this year.

When I read such self-centered and "everybody is obliged to me" passages. 

if-it-dies.jpg

I too made an account because I have been using this app for 6ish years (of which my entire experience was absolutely stellar and was something I recommended to everyone I knew who wanted more features than from Google Music) and am extremely disappointed at this forced UI change. It is awful, and no tweaks or 3rd party skins have remedied a thing. I've wasted close to 2 hours trying to every possible configuration of things with or without the v3 minimal dark skin linked earlier in this thread. All of them end up looking very oddly proportioned, the buttons are in awkward places. It simply does not have the ease of use and functionality that v2 had; v3 does NOT work if you use your phone as your music device while driving. The buttons are too small, they are put in bad locations, there is too much noise to find what you want in a millisecond. Sure, it may look nicer, more 2018, more apple, but when every part of the UI that I care about has been changed for the worse I simply just uninstall v3 and go back to the last v2 apk. Now I have to sprint into Google Play and turn off auto-updates before it returns me to v3 hell (this happened once already). Thank god I have an older phone (which I had to sprint to turn off wifi so it wouldn't update to v3) with all of my settings saved because I sure as hell don't want to waste another second configuring this damn app.

What a huge waste of time. Not only my time, but all of the time the dev must have put in to making a "better" product. Can't say I'll recommend your product to anyone in the future.

8 hours ago, NickIst said:

When I read such self-centered and "everybody is obliged to me" passages. 

if-it-dies.jpg

You're a clown, bro. He's staring his issues clearly and coherently - not making any demands. His issues are what the issues of 90% of the people posting here are: namely the upgrade feels like a downgrade in functionality and ease of use. Something they enjoyed with previous versions that is severely lacking in v3.

TL:DR - Go play in traffic, Nicklst. The world needs less people like you in it.

5 hours ago, TheDoc said:

namely the upgrade feels like a downgrade in functionality and ease of use

I think there might be a misunderstanding as to what Poweramp wants to be. It is positioned in the market as the most customizable music player, where the users that want to get involved in decisions about future releases have the most influence. That is fulfilled - the changes in V3 have largely been decided by the users. Meaning of course those who wished to do so.

Now there are also users who don't want to get involved in any planning and who just like V2 the way it is and bought it to use it as it is and don't want any major changes, or no changes at all.

That's OK ! You can use V2 , at least for the foreseeable future !

And Poweramp will keep changing. And those who explicitly want an app which keeps a unaltered UI for as long as possible might think about other apps, or even other ecosystems. Here Apple comes to the mind.

19 minutes ago, blaubär said:

I think there might be a misunderstanding as to what Poweramp wants to be. It is positioned in the market as the most customizable music player, where the users that want to get involved in decisions about future releases have the most influence. That is fulfilled - the changes in V3 have largely been decided by the users. Meaning of course those who wished to do so.

Now there are also users who don't want to get involved in any planning and who just like V2 the way it is and bought it to use it as it is and don't want any major changes, or no changes at all.

That's OK ! You can use V2 , at least for the foreseeable future !

And Poweramp will keep changing. And those who explicitly want an app which keeps a unaltered UI for as long as possible might think about other apps, or even other ecosystems. Here Apple comes to the mind.

I see what you are getting at, but there are some fundamental issues with this outlook:

1) In stating "The changes that have been decided by the users", you're talking an absurdly low % of users giving input & feedback. If it's more than 1% I'd be totally shocked.

This creates an 'echo chamber' where the voices of the very few clouded out sound judgment. Instead of doing right for the 99%, development got caught up listening to the few.

2) Clearly, what should have happened, was a new version (v3) that pushed very few changes to the forefront while providing the options/customization in the settings. 

In other words, the default UI on v3 should look nearly indistinguishable from v2 (which was nearly perfect for users) with all the changes being implemented by end user choice. If you want to customize and play around, go right ahead. 

Instead, it is the other way around. People who want thier app to 'just work' - the 99% - are having to figure out how to get back to what they had. This is an ENORMOUS failure on the part of the developer, and probably the only real failure they made here.

There are things to like about v3, even for v2 enthusiasts, but the way this process took place is not one of them.

This is somewhat baffling to me that people who claim that the developer has spend so much time in essentially rolling out an update which most of the community hates due to its visuals were never really a part of the community. By many of their own admissions they haven't ever tried to give a feedback in 6 or more years that they have used the app. But they still want to developer to listen to them? How exactly is he supposed to do that? I can understand that many people liked the old UI, it was simple, clear to the eyes, and did what it was supposed to do, but what it was supposed to do has changed in recent times. The developer has to think of not just the old users but also the new ones. How many more years do you think the old UI would have attracted new buyers if they keep seeing a UI reminiscent of KitKat Era? 

And what's more baffling is that many customers who say that looks shouldn't be the primary concern of a music player have not given a single comment on the new audio engine but have been ranting continuously about the new UI and how bad it is. 

Any new thing has its learning curves, how can one decide about the utility and the design after spending just a few days with the app? 

Another thing is the entitles nature of some of the posts. Especially the ones using the app for 5-6 years. I am one of you. Poweramp was one of the first apps I ever bought using real money, and to be honest this has been my best expenditure on any app till now. Being in India I even got it for a lot less than most of the folks here. Just thinking that I paid less then a dollar and have been getting consistent updates for so long is enough for me to ignore any issues I might have had with the new update and at least give it a genuine try before commenting on the usability or any other issue. 

I have been using the new UI since the first beta came with it (never used the alpha as I was facing crashes) and apart from the initial few days I have not faced any issues in setting the app to my liking. It is modern, sleek, follows the material design, and most importantly sounds so good that I get goosebumps while listening to songs. I would just urge people to give it a genuine try and provide constructive feedback to the developed regarding your grievances so that they can be heard and worked upon. Please try to appreciate the hard work that has gone in providing you this update, that too free of charge and if you haven't till now, then from now on please be an active member of this community.

One really doesn't need to be a nerd to follow some app that they have used for over half a decade and be a part of its development. 

Edit: regarding few legitimate points raised here.

One better way could have been to release a separate app for V3, but this couldn't be done without some serious overwork on the developer's part consisting of migrating existing users who wanted the new version on an individual basis. 

One can argue that the older version could've been given the new audio engine, but this was covered initially that it would've been too Much work where the app would still need to be build from scratch but the only real addition would've been the audio engine. Again, too much work for one feature while the community (active on the forum) clearly wanted multiple features.

Also, the comment about people wanting there app to just work.. It does. It works perfectly as it is. The gestures are simple, options are available for different button layouts and after spending 15-20 mins on the initial setup, which I did even on V2, I hadn't had to make any changes in the UI to be able to listen to my music. It's just that we had become so habitual of using V2, that we feel the new UI doesn't "work" 

Please, I would request again. Spend some time with the app, use it for few days and if there are genuine concerns, leave them in reviews either here or on the play store and let the developer address them. 

On 12/18/2018 at 8:49 PM, mdcowby said:

My ass use base wanted this. Get your head out of your crack. I have to totally laugh at your reply. 

https://forum.powerampapp.com/topic/8534-next-builds-priorities/

Your apology for your not bothering to  check before posting, and your offensive tone, is accepted in advance. However any more comments like yours and this thread will be closed.

On 12/18/2018 at 9:02 PM, richardsull said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume that only a tiny fraction of users are involved in the feedback/development loop of apps like this. 

This forum (and the Google Play beta programme) are completely open to anyone who wants to join in, and lots of people have been doing so about the next version of PA for the past 3-4 years. However the dev can only respond to people who actually get involved, and can only extrapolate feedback from whoever does bother in the hopes that it matches the wider userbase.

For anyone who does not feel the same way as the majority here though, you are of course completely free to simply roll back to v2 and carry on using the old version that you are familiar with. Perhaps in a few cases along with a black-and-white tube TV and a Sony Walkman cassette player? :)

On 12/19/2018 at 2:15 PM, Morteus said:

I Was particularly disheartened to read the comments made in the "Read first" sticky, which kindly informs us of the "contempt we deserve". 

If you read what I originally wrote more carefully, that end comment was aimed only at the people who just join and post abuse/profanity without any sensible content.

This forum is open to anyone, but personal insults and profanity will not be tolerated (and this thread alone has already had several posts that in other circumstances might have triggered warnings or bans).

On 12/20/2018 at 6:00 AM, TheDoc said:

Instead of doing right for the 99%, development got caught up listening to the few.

I really wish there was a way to ask those 99% of users in advance, but if you can think of one please let me know. Otherwise, as I've said, the dev can only go by the comments of those who do feel strongly enough to get involved with the process. Many things have already been tweaked and adjusted from his original design during that process by the way, and a lot of options added. I'm sure there will be more too, but app development is always a fluid process.

At least it's better than Apple's "our way or no way" approach anyway, where they tell you what you will like.

Andre

On 12/18/2018 at 8:16 PM, TheDoc said:

Well that worked to solve that issue. Now how about fixing the Thumbs Up/Down catastrophe and removing the (completely unnecessary) fade button....

Settings > Look and Feel > Player UI > Rating Type

Not sure what you mean by the "unnecessary fade button" though? Could you explain?

Andre

On 12/18/2018 at 8:56 PM, TheDoc said:

FFS... this sums up the entire problem right here. I want my shit to work, I don't want a gawddamn scavenger hunt.

Then don't use a power app, stick to simple no-options stock apps. 

Andre

On 12/19/2018 at 9:39 AM, Metaspace said:

* I read and tried out the new navigation, however the only method I find to return to the main player interface (with play/skip buttons) is by clicking the currently selected/played song title

* Thanks, I have customized the library display to only offer "Folder Hierarchy". However, this means I still have the top level "Library" menu, even if it now only contains a single item ("Folder Hierarchy") :-/

1) To get back to the Player screen from a library view, either: tap on the song title (or a new song); tap on the mini player at the bottom of the screen; or press Back a few times to go up the layers. See also Settings > Library > Lists > Click Restarts Track, which controls how tapping on the currently playing track behaves - either to restart it like tapping on any other track, or just go back to the player screen without interrupting the music.

2) You can select the top level entry point for the library view. Go to the top Categories view and tap Menu > List Options. You can choose which categories you want display, and also if you long-press on one category that will become the default entry point (a little four-squares icon will be shown next to the default option).

Andre

4 hours ago, kunaltyagii said:

One can argue that the older version could've been given the new audio engine

In fact, about two years ago when the audio engine was ready for testing, that's exactly what happened. Build 709 (still available from the Downloads tab above) combined the new audio engine with (basically) the old interface. If anyone wants to try it, please feel free.

Andre 

12 hours ago, TheDoc said:

You're a clown, bro. He's staring his issues clearly and coherently - not making any demands. His issues are what the issues of 90% of the people posting here are: namely the upgrade feels like a downgrade in functionality and ease of use. Something they enjoyed with previous versions that is severely lacking in v3.

TL:DR - Go play in traffic, Nicklst. The world needs less people like you in it.

Hah, it's intersting how did you determine how much I read. Are you some kind of superhuman? In fact I'm just a bit tired of all this almost the same lamentations about previous UI. For me the new one is simply better because it's far more convenient for use on large screen with one hand (thanks to gestures). Yes it requires some time to get used to it. But I don't understand all this bragging of retrogrades and "oldies" about subjective issues like taste or colour. Moreover I noticed that some of the critics fear to dive into new UI or are too "busy" to get into the matter, instead they prefer to write and cry here. Something is not a concrete word, which proves that the most of the 90% couldn't formulate what they wanted or weren't intersted in the feedback. If you use 90% share in your argument could you be more specific what part of all users of the PA does this 90% form? 

As usually some people have only emotions, bragging and subjective evaluations and as I've already said an indisputable feeling that we are the majority - "the goodies". And you''ve just made an assumption that world needs less people like me. "You know who said the same thing?" - "Hitler!". It's a joke btw. And of course you're right the world needs more immature and shallow minded people.

5 hours ago, kunaltyagii said:

This is somewhat baffling to me that people who claim that the developer has spend so much time in essentially rolling out an update which most of the community hates due to its visuals were never really a part of the community. By many of their own admissions they haven't ever tried to give a feedback in 6 or more years that they have used the app. But they still want to developer to listen to them? How exactly is he supposed to do that? I can understand that many people liked the old UI, it was simple, clear to the eyes, and did what it was supposed to do, but what it was supposed to do has changed in recent times. The developer has to think of not just the old users but also the new ones. How many more years do you think the old UI would have attracted new buyers if they keep seeing a UI reminiscent of KitKat Era? 

And what's more baffling is that many customers who say that looks shouldn't be the primary concern of a music player have not given a single comment on the new audio engine but have been ranting continuously about the new UI and how bad it is. 

Any new thing has its learning curves, how can one decide about the utility and the design after spending just a few days with the app? 

Another thing is the entitles nature of some of the posts. Especially the ones using the app for 5-6 years. I am one of you. Poweramp was one of the first apps I ever bought using real money, and to be honest this has been my best expenditure on any app till now. Being in India I even got it for a lot less than most of the folks here. Just thinking that I paid less then a dollar and have been getting consistent updates for so long is enough for me to ignore any issues I might have had with the new update and at least give it a genuine try before commenting on the usability or any other issue. 

I have been using the new UI since the first beta came with it (never used the alpha as I was facing crashes) and apart from the initial few days I have not faced any issues in setting the app to my liking. It is modern, sleek, follows the material design, and most importantly sounds so good that I get goosebumps while listening to songs. I would just urge people to give it a genuine try and provide constructive feedback to the developed regarding your grievances so that they can be heard and worked upon. Please try to appreciate the hard work that has gone in providing you this update, that too free of charge and if you haven't till now, then from now on please be an active member of this community.

One really doesn't need to be a nerd to follow some app that they have used for over half a decade and be a part of its development. 

Edit: regarding few legitimate points raised here.

One better way could have been to release a separate app for V3, but this couldn't be done without some serious overwork on the developer's part consisting of migrating existing users who wanted the new version on an individual basis. 

One can argue that the older version could've been given the new audio engine, but this was covered initially that it would've been too Much work where the app would still need to be build from scratch but the only real addition would've been the audio engine. Again, too much work for one feature while the community (active on the forum) clearly wanted multiple features.

Also, the comment about people wanting there app to just work.. It does. It works perfectly as it is. The gestures are simple, options are available for different button layouts and after spending 15-20 mins on the initial setup, which I did even on V2, I hadn't had to make any changes in the UI to be able to listen to my music. It's just that we had become so habitual of using V2, that we feel the new UI doesn't "work" 

Please, I would request again. Spend some time with the app, use it for few days and if there are genuine concerns, leave them in reviews either here or on the play store and let the developer address them. 

Good read here and I mean it. I am new here and been trying to be active (help) during free time. Anyway, PA is an awesome app and happy to be a part of the community. Test the new build/version and leave a genuine, constructive criticism. Request what you want and devs will try work on it if possible. 

I see a lot of posts about how if we don't like the new change, it's our own faults because we didn't follow the forums over the past years. To be fair, most people probably have dozens of apps they love. They probably also have tons of movies, games, music, appliances, computer programs, cars, phones, etc. that they researched and purchased based on what they were at the time. I wish I had the free time to subscribe to forums for all the products I enjoy but real life gets in the way of that.

Maybe I'm missing something but it seems like there would have been a fairly simple way to get more user feedback. Wouldn't it have been possible to have some large popup in the app that explained that there would be a major overhaul that would change the way the app looks and works? Surely this could have been done periodically during standard updates. I've been using the app for years and never knew that this update was happening or would be forced. I did try the new version and I could probably get used to it but a major feature seems to be broken for me as you can see here:

@andrewilley it's sickening how many people are complaining about V3 before even trying the skin options to change the interface or adding 3rd party skins to suit them.    so many options in the settings menu and people are quick to judge before looking things over better.   It's quite upsetting.   Even if there was a FAQ or sticky in the forum people would still skip reading it to complain.   I admire your patience.   

I think the main lesson here is that one should have Play Store auto-updates turned off.

Not every update is an improvement for everyone and this can usually be displayed in the reviews.

Having said that, I think the OP is overreacting somewhat. I can only imagine their ire if there wasn't a v2 to roll back to. Self-implosion comes to mind.

I really like Poweramp v3 because the look is fresher and cooler, and everything works fine. if someone says Poweramp is complicated, it's because you're not used to it.

On 17/12/2018 at 23.13, andrewilley said:

Siapa yang Anda sarankan adalah orang-orang bodoh yang bodoh, orang-orang yang mengeluh atau para devs?

Antarmuka baru ini telah dikembangkan selama beberapa tahun, dengan beberapa versi uji alfa dan beta dirilis di situs ini dan melalui program Google Play Beta terbuka / publik selama periode itu. Siapa pun yang ingin berkomentar dipersilakan untuk melakukannya, dan umpan balik yang dikirim di sini membentuk tampilan dan rasa serta fitur produk seperti sekarang, dengan beberapa item yang tidak begitu populer baik diubah atau dijadikan opsional. Tidak yakin berapa banyak yang bisa dilakukan dev?

Saya kira pembenci akan membenci, tetapi pada akhir hari itu sangat kuat apa yang pengguna pilih untuk. (Secara pribadi saya bukan penggemar Desain Bahan di tempat pertama, seperti ketika Anda tahu di mana keju Anda, Anda tidak ingin itu dipindahkan; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_Moved_My_Cheese  , tetapi Max tunduk pada keinginan mayoritas)

Andre

in my opinion Poweramp v3 is good because I have been waiting for a long time to release, even though I have long joined the alpha and beta team, I think they hate Poweramp v3 because they are not used to using it. beg the developer to be patient in responding to the haters.

I just would like to say I am very happy with the V3 and would never want to revert to V2 again, It took me a couple of days to get used to, but the new GUI is sooo much better. Haters gonna hate, but I think the majority of the users will be very pleased. When you see some of the reactions here, I guess it is better to not have such "customers"... So thanks a lot for a great job done and ignore those rude jerks...