Poweramp
byacey

How can the devs be so blind? V3 UI is a horrid mess

14 minutes ago, Metaspace said:

I would like to get rid of the display of vertical bar of song peaks which scrolls horizontally. I deem it irrelevant, and I am sorry for the battery power and time needed for scanning the song to display this. It is also distracting to the eye.

* when going to the track list of an album or folder, moving back to the main interface used to be possible via a large button on the lower edge; now I need to "click" on the current track title, which is smaller than before, and which is directly bordering menu buttons, that are easily accidentally pressed instead.

* I always navigate my library based on folder structure. Now, I get an additional button at the top which would allow me to go to a master selection from which I could also navigate via albums etc. I never do that, this the button is superfluous. Also, album art (of the first album?) in the current folder is displayed, which takes a lot of space, and is distracting - I also consider it irrelevant and misleading when I am looking at a folder containing sub folders with different artists.

> I would like to get rid of the display of vertical bar

use the "Dark default skin", there you can configure a lean progress bar

> now I need to "click" on the current track title

pull down album art, see main changelog / new navigation

> Now, I get an additional button at the top

you can customize the starting point of library access, e.g. to "Folders Hierarchy", that's probably what you want

2 hours ago, D3Seeker said:

Everything was quite public from the get-go. If you're one of those uninvolved users that want to set ot and forget it, this is what you get, and rightfully so. The best I can say at rhis point is to actually look around your new updated app and try the functions before automatically flaming it like MANY of you do. I can guarantee at the least that I'd inherited modern functionality of other apps you haters probably use all the time and also don't say a thing about......

Personally I was surprised as well that iu took the vote way back when, but being a visual person, and also involved in tbe alpha and betas, v3 was welcome on my part.

I wish I didn't have to be "involved" in things that I purchase and enjoy before they are just summarily taken away and replaced with something else. I mean, I have enough going on in my life without being "involved" in app development.

26 minutes ago, blaubär said:

> I would like to get rid of the display of vertical bar

use the "Dark default skin", there you can configure a lean progress bar

Oh really? Do tell how this is done because it's certainly not obvious. 

@Metaspace I noticed you complain about small buttons - but may be only repeat/shuffle are smaller (unified in size with others). Equalizer buttons are same or larger, unless you tweaked your display scaling.

You can return from lists by clicking miniplayer which is larger and wider vs v2 button.

You can set your Folders hierarchy as Home category (use Library / header menu / List Options), and you will still be able to return to Library with swipes / back button / header button).

Poweramp v2 also shows covers in folder lists. v3 prefers in-folder image (if exists) in folder hierarchy lists.

As for additional options, nothing forces users to use them (e.g. visualizations or various advanced output settings) - you can just ignore that and use core player functionality. But there is one user request vs another. Why should I choose yours? At least v3 is still local music player, not streaming service as many requested 🙂

Thanks for your input on what the next improvements should be:-) I balance that based on feedback and my available resources. 

1 hour ago, richardsull said:

I wish I didn't have to be "involved" in things that I purchase and enjoy before they are just summarily taken away and replaced with something else. I mean, I have enough going on in my life without being "involved" in app development. 

Try Apple. They have simple, good, stable and easy to use software without much need to customize, "get involved", whatever.

I prefer Android, because I like to customize and get involved. And I especially like Poweramp because it offers so much of this !

Is it possible for you to give an option to make a "simple" user interface... similar to Poweramp V2?  I like some of the new features, but for the main interface I like max-size album art and clean info, few buttons.  The old Poweramp v2 (which I paid to be pro version) did that really well.  I like the way the new version has nice icons/buttons and can extend the "blur" effect behind them, etc.  But really I want max-size album art (with no border/margin at all) and just the basic track info (Artist, album, song title) and basic buttons with that (I don't *mind* if there are more buttons or wave seekbar or whatever, but whatever it takes to have max size album art *without* writing track details on top of it).

So, would it be possible for you to make that an option?  I don't mind pushing a single "settings" button (like in the old Poweramp) to access everything else, shuffle options, equalizer options, whatever.  Mainly I just want a good clean unobstructed view of the max-size album art, basic track info, and the ability to pause/play/skip forward or backward.  If you squeeze other options in, that doesn't bother me, as long as it doesn't prevent max-size album art and as long as it doesn't put text and stuff on top of it.  If it helps I used to use the "material dark" skin for the old Poweramp v2 and I was very pleased with it.  I *do* like some things about the new Poweramp, so not enough for me to get rid of it and downgrade to v2 again (I like working towards newer stuff rather than being stuck with older stuff, as long as the newer stuff is functional)... but my overall experience with the main player should be what I wrote above.  Please make that an option if possible.

9 minutes ago, blaubär said:

Try Apple. They have simple, good, stable and easy to use software without much need to customize, "get involved", whatever.

I prefer Android, because I like to customize and get involved. And I especially like Poweramp because it offers so much of this !

I think there can be a middle ground.

Hypothetically If I was a developer of any app in general firstly I would send invites via email to all who have purchased whatever app it is to the forums to do a poll. Then collect user input on the polls and replies over a 6 month period before starting a new version. That would be ideological to minimalizing complaints and it also let's people know they are needed to help give ideas. Once a month or even twice is sufficient to pull in people.

Don't just sit around waiting without initiating public responses. You'd be overwhelmed at the response.

32 minutes ago, richardsull said:

I think there can be a middle ground. 

Yes, there actually is. There are a lot of music players on Android with some options but less customizing than Poweramp.

Poweramp fills the gap in the market for a highly customizable music player.

1 hour ago, TheDoc said:

Oh really? Do tell how this is done because it's certainly not obvious. 

Please visit and download the skin below. As for the customization, the options are user-friendly. Hope you enjoy it. 

On 11/26/2018 at 12:59 AM, Andrew0 said:

Hi Guys.. 

new free skin!

Please rate on play store 

Download here

Enjoy!!

DD_feature.thumb.jpg.371bcbbea4219ec6c02d05aaee74a29c.jpg

Just now, blaubär said:

Yes, there actually is. There are a lot of music players on Android with some options but less customizing than Poweramp.

Poweramp fills the gap in the market for a highly customizable music player.

Not customizable enough, unfortunately! Which is sort of the issue. I'd like to make it look and act the way I like it. All the added features is what made me choose Poweramp in the first place.

Although, I really don't want to sound like I'm complaining too much. I realize Poweramp an inexpensive, highly functional player, and I'm sure a lot of time, thought, and effort goes into it. It's just a bummer that some of the features I liked don't work the same way in V3. But you can't please everybody.

11 minutes ago, invaderzim said:

Please visit and download the skin below. As for the customization, the options are user-friendly. Hope you enjoy it.  

To get the lean progress bar :

11182018123534.jpg

11182018123544.jpg

Poweramp has always been a highly customisable player with lots of options, and even more so now. If you want a no frills highly simplified interface, maybe you'd be better using Google Play Music or something similar rather than a power app.

Andre hi

I stopped reading after the first 4 or 5 posts... Awesome admins and devs how you try to explain things to a guy that can't even write a respectful topic. 

I vote to delete this topic as from my point of view it doesn't bring any useful Information to the Forum.

Everyone with Internet can just Google "how to downgrade app from playstore" and find tons of tutorials. 

Regards

1 hour ago, invaderzim said:

Well that worked to solve that issue. Now how about fixing the Thumbs Up/Down catastrophe and removing the (completely unnecessary) fade button....

4 hours ago, richardsull said:

Well not sure what to say. Most things we "like" you tend to need to be more involved in than just throwing money at it and thinking that's all there is to it. Apps especially tend to be on a constant track of upgrades so seriously not sure what you expect.

A LOT of sodtware involves it's userbase for input and updates so yeah. Nothings standing still. If it is it's outdated and abandoned. It's simply the way it goes now.

I don't believe we should be classified as haters because we bought an application who's developers changed it so dramatically we no longer want to use it, but we feel we're entitled of what we pay for.

I read some of the previous comments from the developers that this is been in development for years.

Let me see now you move the album cover to one side and then you put information on top of it so you can no longer see your album cover and all its contents you you purposely obscure parts of the album cover doc

Next on the other side of the screen it's almost all blank not used. Did anybody think of putting the extra information in an area that's not used by anything else instead of over on on top of the album cover? I don't feel I am a hater but I feel putting information in a blank area of the screen is better than putting all the information on top of each other but then again that may just be me.

Also on the other side of the screen or a bunch of meaningless bars I'm not quite sure what their meaning is they are just bars they don't beat to the sound of the music or changes there just bars. I know the developers are in this to make money and I have another suggestion for them is to sell Power Amp as a music app and then you could create an amp that does nothing but stupid bars and then you could sell a stupid bar app and make even more money. As you can probably figure out I do not like the stupid bars but you have not given any settings to turn them off you force them honest and we can't turn them off and as much as I read these sites to say hold down the button and you can turn them off you simply cannot do that.

For my money having an album cover where I can see the whole thing and the controls and other information underneath the album cover makes so much sense and I think it makes so much sense that's why you develop Poweramp that way initially because it's the best design so since you started with the best design and you want to do one the only thing left for you is worse designs and that is the path you've taken.

I would suggest to make money why don't you start on another app and go back to version to a power amp and leave the damn thing alone

On 12/17/2018 at 11:13 AM, andrewilley said:

Who are you suggesting are ignorant fools, the people complaining or the devs?

This new interface has been in development for several years, with multiple alpha and beta test versions released on this site and via an open/public Google Play Beta programme during that period. Anyone who wanted to comment was very welcome to do so, and feedback posted here shaped the product look and feel and features as they are now, with several items that were not so popular either changed or made optional. Not sure how much more the dev could have done?

I guess haters will hate, but at the end of the day that is very strongly what the userbase voted for. (Personally I'm not a big fan of Material Design in the first place, as when you know where your cheese is, you don't want it moved; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_Moved_My_Cheese , but Max bowed to the wish of the vast majority)

Andre

My ass use base wanted this. Get your head out of your crack. I have to totally laugh at your reply. 

30 minutes ago, TheDoc said:

Well that worked to solve that issue. Now how about fixing the Thumbs Up/Down catastrophe and removing the (completely unnecessary) fade button....

There are options in the settings for that........... seriously look around the new app before assuming the face product is all there is. It's 2018 people

5 minutes ago, D3Seeker said:

There are options in the settings for that........... seriously look around the new app before assuming the face product is all there is. It's 2018 people

FFS... this sums up the entire problem right here. I want my shit to work, I don't want a gawddamn scavenger hunt.

8 minutes ago, D3Seeker said:

Well not sure what to say. Most things we "like" you tend to need to be more involved in than just throwing money at it and thinking that's all there is to it. Apps especially tend to be on a constant track of upgrades so seriously not sure what you expect.

A LOT of sodtware involves it's userbase for input and updates so yeah. Nothings standing still. If it is it's outdated and abandoned. It's simply the way it goes now.

I dunno, I think the constant churn of software design and UI is not necessarily a good thing. And "improvements" are not always for the better. I'm sure we've all experienced that in some form or another. (Not speaking about Poweramp specifically. And if people like the new Poweramp, that's fine too.) Correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume that only a tiny fraction of users are involved in the feedback/development loop of apps like this. Almost all of the products I buy and use, I'm not involved in its ongoing development. I think that's normal.

9 minutes ago, richardsull said:

I dunno, I think the constant churn of software design and UI is not necessarily a good thing. And "improvements" are not always for the better. I'm sure we've all experienced that in some form or another. (Not speaking about Poweramp specifically. And if people like the new Poweramp, that's fine too.) Correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume that only a tiny fraction of users are involved in the feedback/development loop of apps like this. Almost all of the products I buy and use, I'm not involved in its ongoing development. I think that's normal.

Some of it is definitely for the worst. Take the Finalcut X fiasco. Crapple thought they could dictate to an industry what they want and needed just as they do to their sheeple customers. Got real wake-up call and fixed that nonsense. 

The smaller scale apps like this though..... real hit or miss. Like here, max needs to know what to focus on next, the % voted and now so.ehow he's a bad guy. Is been years so I suppose the changes would have been better in doses which really wasn't possible given the gravitybon the new android code at the time. Add to that the fact that it's a one man show and we get HUGE changes for anyone who sat at a distance all these years.

9 minutes ago, D3Seeker said:

Some of it is definitely for the worst. Take the Finalcut X fiasco. Crapple thought they could dictate to an industry what they want and needed just as they do to their sheeple customers. Got real wake-up call and fixed that nonsense. 

The smaller scale apps like this though..... real hit or miss. Like here, max needs to know what to focus on next, the % voted and now so.ehow he's a bad guy. Is been years so I suppose the changes would have been better in doses which really wasn't possible given the gravitybon the new android code at the time. Add to that the fact that it's a one man show and we get HUGE changes for anyone who sat at a distance all these years.

Well, even if I choose to stop using Poweramp, I've enjoyed it for years, and it has been well worth the price. I don't fault the developer. Just a bit disappointed.

Sound is better in Poweramp than any other music player. Always was, still is. There is no question about that.

But why complain about making the UI more functional and taking advantage of the best displays Smartphones have today? If that was the case all albums would ship in plain brown wrappers.

I think the interface is very intuitive and follows the flow of the most advanced Android apps. And the attention to detail of the meta tags and function continues to improve well beyond what the stock Android music database covers.

For those that don't want an update, turning off auto-update is probably your best solution. But for myself and everyone else that has been part of the development beta for some time now, Poweramp continues to show why it is the best music player app out there. Thanks for your efforts Max!

16 hours ago, D3Seeker said:

like MANY of you do. I can guarantee at the least that I'd inherited modern functionality of other apps you haters

I don't think it helps to migrate divisions from the political theater into the Poweramp Discussion Forum.

I would therefore suggest not to call anybody a "hater" and not to use arguments ad hominem.

If people don't like Poweramp then that is OK. Nothing is perfect, neither me nor you nor Poweramp.