Poweramp
byacey

How can the devs be so blind? V3 UI is a horrid mess

My tablet auto updated Poweramp to ver 3. All of a sudden I had all this clutter in the way, difficult to find play and pause functions, if I swiped to advance to the next song, it would advance to another album all together, or bring up artwork from some totally unrelated album with all kinds of crap populating the screen.

When I purchased Poweramp, all I wanted was a simple music player app where I could search for songs by title, album or artist, and play songs in sequential order or shuffle, nothing complicated. There were a few things I didn't like about version 2, but for the most part, it did what I wanted.

Version 3 is an abomination; backwards functionality is totally gone, and I don't have the time or inclination to completely re-learn the new version. Why do software developers feel the need to totally re-design something that is successful and works? Minor changes and added features don't necessitate a complete overhaul.   Microsoft does the same thing with their different versions of windows.

Thank goodness version 2 is available for re-installation. I was just about ready to start researching other available apps to replace Poweramp. For now I've uninstalled version 3 and upgraded to version 2.

7 hours ago, byacey said:

Why do software developers feel the need to totally re-design something that is successful and works?

Because that's what the userbase voted for, indeed pretty much insisted on as it was a very substantial majority. Sorry if you don't like it it (I agree it is a lot of change at once if you haven't been involved in the gradual testing process over the last two years) but you are welcome to download and revert to v2 and turn off updates if you prefer.

Andre

2 hours ago, skippinggears said:

Just read the reviews .. people hate it, and devs pretend everything's fine.. ignorant fools!

Who are you suggesting are ignorant fools, the people complaining or the devs?

This new interface has been in development for several years, with multiple alpha and beta test versions released on this site and via an open/public Google Play Beta programme during that period. Anyone who wanted to comment was very welcome to do so, and feedback posted here shaped the product look and feel and features as they are now, with several items that were not so popular either changed or made optional. Not sure how much more the dev could have done?

I guess haters will hate, but at the end of the day that is very strongly what the userbase voted for. (Personally I'm not a big fan of Material Design in the first place, as when you know where your cheese is, you don't want it moved; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_Moved_My_Cheese , but Max bowed to the wish of the vast majority)

Andre

1 hour ago, andrewilley said:

but at the end of the day that is very strongly what the userbase voted for.

The userbase that happens to frequent the forum, there are more than likely hundreds or more that don't. I'm getting used to the new layout, but, you can't make the assumption that the userbase voted for  V3. 

It wasn't an update it was an overhaul with no ability too make it easy too use, why would people who think it's perfect test beta for redesign? The only people who would do that are lobbyists for change.  Updates and new programs are different this was a 5 star program now it's a 2. You guys suck, I purchased this app now it looks like YouTube music... Complete garbage

1 hour ago, Vintage1976 said:

The userbase that happens to frequent the forum, there are more than likely hundreds or more that don't. 

Possibly true, but there's not much else that the dev can do about that. As I said, the new Material Design interface has even been available both here and via Google Play's open beta programme (on the main app page) for about a year, and fine tuned based on feedback. They dev can't listen to people who don't talk to him.

Andre

13 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

Possibly true, but there's not much else that the dev can do about that. As I said, the new Material Design interface has even been available both here and via Google Play's open beta programme (on the main app page) for about a year, and fine tuned based on feedback. They dev can't listen to people who don't talk to him.

Andre

You're 100% right on that. 

40 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

Andre

True to that! And, when you're using an app might as well be active on forums or wherever the community is as more or less there will be changes, updates and you don't want to be left out. Now, haters are popping up insulting the majority... smh.

53 minutes ago, invaderzim said:

Now, haters are popping up insulting the majority... smh.

Again, you can't say "majority." You do not know how many people downloaded the application and are on this forum. 

V3 is so bloody awful!  I now have black labels everywhere or at best I can make them transparent and still have them overlay the relevant information. Instead of a song list I get to see the album cover a 100 times, I prefer a nice clean list. The congitive interface has now been turned into vomit.  Now I get a meaningless moving signal on my screen when the music plays.  What ever you were smoking or injecting, I want some.  

How can I get UI V2 back?

1 hour ago, TheDoc said:

Sooo.... how do we go back to V2? This new one is no bueno. 

As usual, install the v2 APK (see downloads section on top of the page).

is just an interface... the sound still the best experience i had on any app in my android haha

but you guys will get used to v3 someday, at least i hope so 

Sorry, but V3 hasn't been thought out. It looks like some children on Crack cocaine got to it. The sound is still the best, but useability comes 1st when on a small screen. I just want to turn off all the junk that has now been added to get it back to near V2 UI. Just give me the ablum, some controls and leave it at that. Better still, deliver a pre-set that is similar to V2 UI. I dont need wanky spectrums or scolling bars in the background, and when I want a list of songs, just 1 (ONE) album cover will do, not 300 freaking hundred that now cuts off the song name so I cannot see them. Overall, this is really really really really ugly.  

You're a bit fixated on drugs - I don't even smoke 🙂 V3 has been thought out, but not in your way, obviously.
Typically such critics is non constructive, just emotions - nothing that can be used to improve the app.
If your problem is spectrum, first indicate which one? There are at least 3 (visualization, waveseek (not a spectrum), equalizer spectrum).

I guess it's a track progress seekbar. Plain (line) track progress seekbar takes more space and doesn't fit well on wider screens - requires very small buttons and reduced album art size.

But it's implemented in my Sample skin and available in various 3rd party skins - including free ones.
Also, Static waveseek (via settings / Look and feel / Skin / Static Seekbar) has the same functionality and same touch-usability as plain seekbar, just looks different and again, takes less space on smaller screens.

Ugly what? As you made some effort to register and post on this forum, please at least describe with details (I don't like that and that). Don't expect that I share your vision on ugliness 🙂

I made an account just because of this update. I have used Poweramp for years but this latest version has made me wonder if I should look for something else.

The UI is so "busy" and seems bloated. The first thing I looked for was if I could make the lists smaller, but even the smallest is bigger than before.

I don't really understand why someone felt this was necessary, I thought the previous version was perfection.

To the guy who said that this is what the users wanted, I don't think even 0.001% of the app's users look up the site of it and that they'd only do it if they had a problem of some sort.

What annoyed me is that the new version installed itself. Without warning. Okay, I had automatic update on.

It took me more than an hour to go back to my status quo ante - to version 2.

PA v3 is not an update, it's another app.

I bought this player years ago and it was almost perfect! But after automatic update it became completely unusable for me. Spent like one hour trying to make it usable but without success. Guess I should invest time in preventing automatic updates and installing previous version. I am so frustrated :(

8 hours ago, whatisthissongcalled said:

To the guy who said that this is what the users wanted, I don't think even 0.001% of the app's users look up the site of it and that they'd only do it if they had a problem of some sort.

So how do you propose the dev asks the other 99.999% of users for their opinions? He can only get feedback from people who are bothered enough to interact, which he did three years ago via https://forum.powerampapp.com/topic/8534-next-builds-priorities/, and hope that the percentage of answers can be extrapolated to get a general feeling of what the overall user base wants. He also made the beta versions publicly available both via these forums and on the main app page in the Google Play store, and a number of changes were made and options added to take account of feedback.

On a purely personal note as a Poweramp user myself, I commented at the time that new audio and operational features were more important to me than adding a flashy rebuilt Material Design interface, but when 55% of a four-way vote went for updating the interface, I found myself in the minority and obviously the dev had to follow the public's request as far as he could see it. Now though, I like a lot of the results of Max's three years of hard work, it looks far more modern and enticing to first time users. There were some aspects that I, and other users, weren't so keen on, but Max has been very good about creating options to allow people to customise the interface to their own preferences (and you can always use skins anyway, just like the old version).

It is still an ongoing process of course, so if anyone wants to comment sensibly and constructively in detail about what they would like to see changed, please feel free to do so. Just posting "this is <bleep>ing crap because it's changed from what it looked like before, is the dev blind or stupid" is both insulting and ultimately pointless though, and will get treated with the contempt that it deserves.

I'm going to make a sticky announcement post about the new release, and how to roll back if users prefer.

Andre

8 hours ago, whatisthissongcalled said:

but even the smallest is bigger than before.

Not true, the "List - compact" has ~ same vertical size and fits more information vs v2 standard list item - even with the small thumbnail.

8 hours ago, vAmp said:

PA v3 is not an update, it's another app.

I'm between two fires here - the users wanting continued support and updates to the app and the ones who want old version.
First group wins (otherwise the only version should be Poweramp v1.0). But the latter can just install old one.

@andrewilley generally, "old version is better" from some percentage is OK, it hits all the apps going through major updates/redesign. The same reaction was when v1 was updated to v2.

It usually takes 1-2 weeks for feedback to normalize, but it's interesting that I'm seeing more 5 stars ratings than I expected:

Screen Shot 2018-12-18 at 12.38.40.jpg

And I expected something like this:

0*tRiujdTby-S0RYnA.

(https://stories.appbot.co/are-successful-app-redesigns-even-possible-1a4d4811596)

2 hours ago, andrewilley said:

So how do you propose the dev asks the other 99.999% of users for their opinions?

Obviously that is not going to be able but, to me, the earlier version was pretty much perfect. I don't really see why a complete overhaul was necessary. So many apps and websites lose traffic and users because they apply changes that serve no real purpose other than to be changes, Reddit being the first one to come to mind.

I understand adding new features but doing things like changing the UI serve no real purpose. If there had been an option to go back to the old version then so many people would not be complaining.

3 hours ago, whatisthissongcalled said:

I understand adding new features but doing things like changing the UI serve no real purpose. If there had been an option to go back to the old version then so many people would not be complaining.

Well, the earth rotates, whether we like it or not. A big change every two or three years is to be expected.

Personally I find the new user interface well built and useful. I took me some days to get used to it, now I very much prefer it to the old one.

You'll find reasons to use Material Design if you look for them :

https://thenextweb.com/dd/2015/11/10/what-are-the-real-merits-of-material-design/

Of course you'll also find other voices - as to be expected.

Everything was quite public from the get-go. If you're one of those uninvolved users that want to set ot and forget it, this is what you get, and rightfully so. The best I can say at rhis point is to actually look around your new updated app and try the functions before automatically flaming it like MANY of you do. I can guarantee at the least that I'd inherited modern functionality of other apps you haters probably use all the time and also don't say a thing about......

Personally I was surprised as well that iu took the vote way back when, but being a visual person, and also involved in tbe alpha and betas, v3 was welcome on my part.

On 12/17/2018 at 11:09 PM, Symbol#60 said:

Sorry, but V3 hasn't been thought out. It looks like some children on Crack cocaine got to it. The sound is still the best, but useability comes 1st when on a small screen. I just want to turn off all the junk that has now been added to get it back to near V2 UI. Just give me the ablum, some controls and leave it at that. Better still, deliver a pre-set that is similar to V2 UI. I dont need wanky spectrums or scolling bars in the background, and when I want a list of songs, just 1 (ONE) album cover will do, not 300 freaking hundred that now cuts off the song name so I cannot see them. Overall, this is really really really really ugly.  

I second that.  The make it more concrete:

* I want a lean interface which only displays information I need, without tiring and distracting my eye with functionality I deem irrelevant.

* I want a lean interface which allows operating in a quick and ergonomic way.

* I want the software to play music, and consume as little power as possible while doing so, while delivering top notch audio quality.

For me, v3 of the product has distinctly degraded the product. Concrete:

* New additional buttons have been introduced, which I do not need, which burden the interface for me.

* The buttons are smaller than before, thus more difficult to click on my compact form factor phone, especially when I am driving or while walking, which is the typical use case for me.

* The access to the graphic equalizer presets has been moved; I could change it with two touches; now it is three, where I need to hit VERY small buttons. I typically switch this while driving or walking (as I use a different profile in the car compared to my regular bluetooth headset). This has become very difficult. Also, now I need 3 clicks to again close the selection window (before, it was implicit with the selection).

* I would like to get rid of the display of vertical bar of song peaks which scrolls horizontally. I deem it irrelevant, and I am sorry for the battery power and time needed for scanning the song to display this. It is also distracting to the eye.

* when going to the track list of an album or folder, moving back to the main interface used to be possible via a large button on the lower edge; now I need to "click" on the current track title, which is smaller than before, and which is directly bordering menu buttons, that are easily accidentally pressed instead.

* I always navigate my library based on folder structure. Now, I get an additional button at the top which would allow me to go to a master selection from which I could also navigate via albums etc. I never do that, this the button is superfluous. Also, album art (of the first album?) in the current folder is displayed, which takes a lot of space, and is distracting - I also consider it irrelevant and misleading when I am looking at a folder containing sub folders with different artists.

As an overall principle: I want a music player which plays music, allows easy audio configration, and play list management. I do not want a video game, flashy graphics, or a dressing toy (skins etc.).

I think development effort should have gone into things like keeping playlist work when migrating to a new phone with a new SD card, better bluetooth buffering to prevent skips and the like, or supporting assigning specific equalizer profiles to specific bluetooth peers.

I do not see a respectable use case for the new UI features.