Jump to content

How to combine split albums by different album artist


Rainytears
 Share

Recommended Posts

I put compilation album whose tracks has different album artist tags (but any other tags are all same)

then album got split into pieces by album artist tag.

I try them put in one album but I guess there is no option available for now.

Is there no way to combine them except using same album artist tag? If not could you make it? (like ON/OFF Ignore different album artist tag and then combine)

KakaoTalk_20181217_041331920.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 years later...
On 12/17/2018 at 4:10 AM, andrewilley said:

The Album Artist tag should stay the same for all tracks in a compilation album (e.g. "Various Artists"), it's the Track Artist tag that changes by song.

Andre

Lol for movie song based albums each track has a different artist. Have you ever seen that? so this album artist feature splitting is a total pain in the ass. So there has to be a feature like to count album artists for splitting albums or to not split and keep them combined

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Bargunan said:

Lol for movie song based albums each track has a different artist. Have you ever seen that? so this album artist feature splitting is a total pain in the ass. So there has to be a feature like to count album artists for splitting albums or to not split and keep them combined

What you need to do is have Album Artist all the same like Andre says, something like Various or Soundtrack. Then the Artist should be equal to the artist performing the song like Third Eye Blind, Elton John, etc. This will put the soundtrack songs together in a single album. It works this way in all music players that I'm aware of that support the Album Artist tag.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, w3wilkes said:

What you need to do is have Album Artist all the same like Andre says, something like Various or Soundtrack. Then the Artist should be equal to the artist performing the song like Third Eye Blind, Elton John, etc. This will put the soundtrack songs together in a single album. It works this way in all music players that I'm aware of that support the Album Artist tag.

Yeah but this can't be an excuse when you already feel like you want the exact info of the song to remain the same for future reference but the app itself is having an unnecessary feature of splitting same albums having different album artists which already leads to spamming in the album list when scrolling.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Bargunan PA does not split albums unnecessarily - as long as the Album Artist tags in the files are set correctly of course, so each song in the album matches. That's the entire point of those tags.

The Track Artist tag can still vary by song by song of course - for example for compilation albums or (as you mentioned) soundtrack albums. I have 80+ soundtrack albums on my phone in fact, and a load more compilation albums, all with varying contributing artists for each individual song - but all still properly sorted in PA's lists using the Album Title and Album Artist details.

But then that is what I already said in the old 2018 post to which you replied:

On 12/16/2018 at 10:40 PM, andrewilley said:

The Album Artist tag should stay the same for all tracks in a compilation album (e.g. "Various Artists"), it's the Track Artist tag that changes by song.

 

If this still isn't clear, please let us know what aspect you are having trouble understanding so we can help you further - or perhaps you might like to read the FAQ on the subject?

Andre

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bargunan said:

Yeah but this can't be an excuse when you already feel like you want the exact info of the song to remain the same for future reference but the app itself is having an unnecessary feature of splitting same albums having different album artists which already leads to spamming in the album list when scrolling.

Just stating how it works, not trying to make excuses. This is how it works in Logitech Media Server, my Sony NW-A45, Windows Media Player. These are the one I'm familiar with, but I'd guess if a player supports the Album Artist and Artist tags it will work this way. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Bargunan said:

Yeah but this can't be an excuse when you already feel like you want the exact info of the song to remain the same for future reference but the app itself is having an unnecessary feature of splitting same albums having different album artists which already leads to spamming in the album list when scrolling.

This is exactly what the “Album Artist” tag is intended to do. The regular “Artist” tag allows you to define each song separately like you are suggesting. The “Album Artist” tag was introduced many years after the original tag spec to make sure albums were combined. This is what you were asking for in the OP. A quick update to your files will make sure they arrange properly in Poweramp, as well as virtually all other music player apps on most platforms.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, andrewilley said:

@Bargunan PA does not split albums unnecessarily - as long as the Album Artist tags in the files are set correctly of course, so each song in the album matches. That's the entire point of those tags.

The Track Artist tag can still vary by song by song of course - for example for compilation albums or (as you mentioned) soundtrack albums. I have 80+ soundtrack albums on my phone in fact, and a load more compilation albums, all with varying contributing artists for each individual song - but all still properly sorted in PA's lists using the Album Title and Album Artist details.

But then that is what I already said in the old 2018 post to which you replied:

 

If this still isn't clear, please let us know what aspect you are having trouble understanding so we can help you further - or perhaps you might like to read the FAQ on the subject?

Andre

But what if the users don't want the tracks of a same album to not get split in the album's section through album artist tag. There could be a sort by option for not including "album artist tag"to combine the tracks of a same album. Seeing the album's section is line spam now but I really don't want to edit or remove the names of the album artist info for other references. Imagine seeing the same multiplication of songs having different album artist when scrolling.

IMG_20210815_071927_456.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Bargunan said:

But what if the users don't want the tracks of a same album to not get split in the album's section through album artist tag. There could be a sort by option for not including "album artist tag"to combine the tracks of a same album. Seeing the album's section is line spam now but I really don't want to edit or remove the names of the album artist info for other references. Imagine seeing the same multiplication of songs having different album artist when scrolling.

I'm having trouble working out your double-negatives, perhaps you are using a translation facility? By "Don't want the tracks to not get split", what are you trying to say? What you have shown in your screenshot appears to be exactly what you have asked for there, i.e. the tracks are split as you asked.

Could you post the Info/Tags results for two of the songs that are not being grouped together in one album? I'm betting that they will show different content (or nothing at all) in their Album Artist tags. This is the sort of content I would expect for two songs from the same album:

image.png  image.png

 

  1. As you have mentioned, you can't use the Track Artist information to arrange albums at all, because the wording often varies song-by-song - especially in compilations or soundtracks (as above), but also with any collaboration songs in a regular album. This can used as a fall-back when Album Artist tags are missing, but it's always very hit-or-miss for the reasons just described.
  2. You also can't rely on just the Album Title, as that can be ambiguous too. There are a lot of albums called simply "Greatest Hits" for example, and you don't want all the songs in Queen's "Greatest Hits" album to be lumped together with the songs from "Greatest Hits" albums by The Cure, The Foo Fighters, ABBA and Aerosmith. There are lots of other ambiguous album titles, for example "Up" which could be an R.E.M. album, a Shania Twain album, a Pop Evil album, or the Pixar film soundtrack. How would a music player decide how to separate these into the individual albums if it only looked at the Album Title tag?
  3. So having ruled out the above two solo possibilities, using a combination of Album Title and the Album Artist tag is the ONLY reliable way to group an number of individual tracks into one Album entity. That is its purpose in fact.

Are you saying that your tracks don't have accurate Album Artist information embedded - which is what it looks like it from your screenshot? In which case you should fix your broken tracks, because other possible workarounds (such as 1 and 2 above) clearly will break other things. A batch tag editor could fix your issue very quickly, such as TagScanner or MP3Tag on a PC, or AutoTagger on Android. Doing it on a computer is far easier than messing around on a small touch screen though.

Or are you trying to deliberately repurpose the Album Artist tag for storing some other information? If so, there are several other artist-related tags you could use for that if you need to, or use the Comment area. Trying to use the Album Artist tag for another purpose is like rewiring your car's speedometer to show the battery level instead - yes it might work for that specific purpose, but you can't then complain that you don't know fast you are going. 

Andre

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Bargunan said:

But what if the users don't want the tracks of a same album to not get split in the album's section through album artist tag. There could be a sort by option for not including "album artist tag"to combine the tracks of a same album. Seeing the album's section is line spam now but I really don't want to edit or remove the names of the album artist info for other references. Imagine seeing the same multiplication of songs having different album artist when scrolling.

IMG_20210815_071927_456.jpg

I think your tags are incorrect

Try this:

Song 1:  Artist = Shreya Goshai, Album Title = Aashiqui 2, Album Artist = Kompilasi
Song 2: Artist = Arijit Singh, Album Title = Aashiqui 2, Album Artist = Kompilasi
Song 3: Artist = Palak Muchhai, Arijit Singh, Album Title = Aashiqui 2, Album Artist = Kompilasi

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...