***HELP*** - HOW DO I DOWNGRADE TO V2 FROM V3

V3Overload

As you can see, not happy with V3.

For those of us who use Poweramp extensively when driving, i don't want to take my eyes off the road for 3 minutes trying to find a damned menu that used to be there.

I have literally got no idea where some of the settings have gone, or how to change or amend them.

PLEASE PROVIDE DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS ON WHERE TO GET V2.

THANK YOU - PREVIOUS HAPPY PAYING CUSTOMER

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, V3Overload said:

As you can see, not happy with V3.

For those of us who use Poweramp extensively when driving, i don't want to take my eyes off the road for 3 minutes trying to find a damned menu that used to be there.

I have literally got no idea where some of the settings have gone, or how to change or amend them.

PLEASE PROVIDE DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS ON WHERE TO GET V2.

THANK YOU - PREVIOUS HAPPY PAYING CUSTOMER

https://forum.powerampapp.com/files/file/20-Poweramp-2010-build-588-uniapk/

And then disable auto update in Google Play Store

Screenshot_2018-10-31-09-47-16.thumb.png.1671b8d76b558d1af06603c68b3b3efd.png

I was perfectly happy with previous release, which I will now download and install. I really can't see what the new look and feel get me, and there is one HUGE problem. On many screens, e g., the player, I can find no way to go up a level. For instance, I'm playing a song in a playlist and I want to go back to the playlist, or I'm playing a song in an album and I want to go back to the album. 

There are a few screens where I can see a "go up" arrow at upper left of screen, but not all. Documentation is no help.

Player doesn't show album art even though I have that checked, and now all I get is the waveform without the other keys I need.

You obviously never beta tested this release with real users...

24 minutes ago, Marti said:

I'm playing a song in a playlist and I want to go back to the playlist, or I'm playing a song in an album and I want to go back to the album. 

Player doesn't show album art even though I have that checked, and now all I get is the waveform without the other keys I need.

1) Just tap anywhere on the cover artwork to take you to whatever library category (such as an album) that you are currently playing from.

2) Tap on the Visualisation icon on the left, just below the cover artwork, to toggle visualisation display on or off.

Both of the above are in the help info popups that you should have seen when the upgrade occurred, or you can tap on the hamburger menu icon (lower-right) at any time and select "Help". 

If you have now re-downloaded the v2 app (build 588 from the Downloads tab) just copy the resulting APK file onto your phone and then launch it from any file explorer app to install. You will need to have removed the v3 installation first, as the process was not designed to go backwards - so also backup any internal Playlists you may have created first, and save your settings if you want to try to restore those too.

Andre 

10 hours ago, andrewilley said:

And just to add, you should never be trying to use advanced stuff like the Settings menus while driving anyway. Watch the road, not your phone, and stick to play/pause and track changes only.

Andre

Who said I was trying to use advanced features while driving. 

The point of this post is that you have  deconstructed what was previously a simple and clear layout. I literally spent 40 minutes in the car park the other day trying to figure out how to manage my playlists, which although they still exist, do not behave in the same way now. I have a playlist open and like to see the full list so I can easily touch which item I want. You used to be able to do this without it changing the screen. 

Pretty unreal that I have to uninstall version 3 and reconfigure everything. 

People value form and function, not shiny buttons. 

1 hour ago, V3Overload said:

. I have a playlist open and like to see the full list so I can easily touch which item I want. You used to be able to do this without it changing the screen. 

You still can, I view Playlists to select tracks all the time. First I tap on the song I want in the Playlist view and it starts playing the songs from that list from that point onward. I can then tap the cover artwork in the player at any time to go straight back to the same playlist view, with the currently playing song highlighted, and select another song. Or for another list, just tap Back to see the list of all Playlists and choose another one. All of which is exactly the same functionality as PA v2. Not sure how that takes 40 minutes to learn?

Could you explain what you feel the exact problem is, perhaps step-by-step to illustrate what seems to have changed for you? (it could be a changed setting or view type for example) 

Andre

23 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

You still can, I view Playlists to select tracks all the time. First I tap on the song I want in the Playlist view and it starts playing the songs from that list from that point onward. I can then tap the cover artwork in the player at any time to go straight back to the same playlist view, with the currently playing song highlighted, and select another song. Or for another list, just tap Back to see the list of all Playlists and choose another one. All of which is exactly the same functionality as PA v2. Not sure how that takes 40 minutes to learn?

Could you explain what you feel the exact problem is, perhaps step-by-step to illustrate what seems to have changed for you? (it could be a changed setting or view type for example) 

Andre

To be honest Andre, while I appreciate the replies, I don't have time to write a novel. I've successfully upgraded to Version 2. 

42 minutes ago, Marti said:

I don't have time to deal with this. Have found another player and will uninstall Poweramp (which I have used for YEARS and loved).

Export your settings and playlists, Uninstall V3, download and install V2 and disable auto update. Took about 3 minutes to get back to normal. No need to use a different player. 

On 12/17/2018 at 4:44 PM, V3Overload said:

Export your settings and playlists, Uninstall V3, download and install V2 and disable auto update. Took about 3 minutes to get back to normal. No need to use a different player. 

Unfortunately it is not possible in my Android version (8.0.0) to disable auto-updates for specific apps. It seems like taking away user options is the new standard.

So I went through the hassle of uninstalling V3/re-installing V2 several times now in the last week, trying out different things to prevent the forced update to V3 but nothing is working:

- There is no way of exluding a single app from auto-updating: That button is just not there in the "..." menu in the play store (see Screenshot). You need to disable auto-updating for ALL apps and then either go through ALL other apps and manually enable auto-updates for everything except Poweramp or manually approve every damn app update making sure to never ever allow Poweramp to update which I fucked up already after one day.

- I even tried re-signing the V2 APK myself, so that it will not be able to get updates from the Play Store. Unfortunately even after trying several signing methods and allowing apps from untrustworthy sources, it just will not install at all in that case: "App Not Installed.".

Andrew, can you please provide a way for people with newer Play Store versions that do not want Poweramp V3?
For example, could you please publish a V2 APK that you sign with a different key that excludes updates from the Play Store?

Please don't force me to get used to V3, the interface is so inefficiently bloated and even the simplest things take so much more time and attention than before because everything looks the same with the same album cover displaying 20 times when you enter the album of an artist (no shit, it is the same album thanks for displaying the cover for each song again!). Okay, I will stop ranting here because I know I might be in the minority here but in my opinion V3 is a complete disaster and changing the UI in such major ways that you can not provide a simple UI skin that restores V2 look was not the best decision for your user base. Let the people use what they happily paid for.

unnamed.png

12 hours ago, andrewilley said:

If you fully uninstall the app, then install the downloaded APK from here, you should be able to use a website purchased licence so Google Play never sees it. 

Thanks for the quick answer! I doubt Google Play would not see it because I already uninstalled it completely and the moment I install v2 from the website, Poweramp is recognized as installed and ready to update in the Play Store (even if I leave the Poweramp play store unlocker uninstalled the whole time).

Besides, I already bought a licence by purchasing the Play Store Unlucker, I will not pay for another one from the website just to have a tiny chance of getting the app back I already paid for.

Can't you maybe release a v2 apk that is independent of the current Poweramp Play Store version by signing it with a different RSA key or some stuff like that? Or maybe by changing the name/description to Poweramp V2 Legacy or something if that is already enough to break the Play Store recognition. I don't know.

Thanks,

Manuel

2 hours ago, finkman said:

Can't you maybe release a v2 apk that is independent of the current Poweramp Play Store version by signing it with a different RSA key or some stuff like that? Or maybe by changing the name/description to Poweramp V2 Legacy or something if that is already enough to break the Play Store recognition. I don't know.

I don't know I'm afraid, that would be up the the dev. I didn't know Google had removed the per-app  opt-out for updates though, it's certainly still there on my Google Play page (and I'm using the latest version of Play Store  as far as I'm aware, build "12.9.12-all [0] [PR] 224566662") 

Andre

Alright, thanks. It seems like some magic has just happened ☺️ 
Previously I could only see a toggle option about auto-updating for a specific app when I had auto updates turned off (nothing showed when it was on) but when I clicked that, it said that it is a global feature and doing so would turn it on for all other apps again.

I just tried that out of desperation and now I am able to see the options to turn off auto-updates for individual apps!

I hope this fixes the problem for me now :)

So for those who can not disable individual auto-update on Google Play Store, maybe try this:

I was playing around with deactivating Play store to use another App Store some hours ago and accidentally reset Play Store to base version and updated it again when I actived it again. Maybe that is what fixed it (I have 12.9.12-all [0] [PR] 224566662 now just like Andrew, not sure what I had before but I had auto-updates on since forever, so I should have had the same already)..
If that does not work: Maybe you also have to disable auto-updates in the Play Store settings and active it by going to an installed app, options menu (...) -> auto-update and confirm that this turns on auto-update for all apps.
Afterwards I was able to see the option to disable auto-update in the "..." menu of individual apps.

I created an account and I left an appropriate review to say how disgusted I am with this new app update, especially to do this to someone who wants to listen to music during the holiday season. I literally cannot listen to my music files right now. This player has somehow made most of my tracks sound like static, and at random too. Its horrible. I do not have time to post these reviews right now but I am making time to do this because of how disgusted I am. I paid for this app, then they go and change it, and make it completely unusable. I will be posting a message about this on all of my social medias as well some of which I have over 2k followers on. Previously this was a perfect app, WHY go and ruin a good thing??? 

To whomever provided the link to the older version of the app thank you, my music is all good again for now.

I too am extremely unhappy with the mess that's been made of Poweramp.  I bought Poweramp years ago, even bought it for a bunch of my family members too but this update is going to have me looking at other players.  The config menus have always been a bit of a mess but I've been able to stumble through them, the saving grace was that once it was all setup you never had to touch it again.  Now with this update, ugg, how do I disable genre thumbnails?  It's of no value to have album covers for genre thumbnails.  How do I disable visuals? I get that the visuals are cool and all but I'm not thirteen anymore.  The basic controls are a chore to get too.  I often use power amp when I'm working outside with my hands and I don't want to go through a bunch of subs to get to a simple task.  This thing is just too much of a mess, I'll try the downgrade, if that fails I'm just gonna have to move on.

Whew, got it downgraded successfully.  I think I have autoupdates for this app disabled too.  Maybe Poweramp should consider having a classic option to keep the old fans content with a basic player.  That new one is a bit of a detraction from what drew Poweramps initial user base to it in the first place.  Make it a radio button in one of the config menus, that would be sweet.

Just downgraded.  I'm running Android 8.0 on a Galaxy S7. 

I don't know if it's useful, but aside from the usual "I can''t find anything" issues from the new interface (which to be honest, it looks like there are a ton of nice new features), here are my issues with the new version:

1. A lot of my exported playlists were no longer seen by Poweramp (I exported them with Poweramp V2).  This was hit or miss at first.  Some were working, and then when I tried to re-scan to see the missing playlists, the working playlists suddenly showed 0 songs in them but somehow 3 of my exported playlists were fine.

- This was probably the biggest issue for me as I live/die by my playlists in Poweramp

2. Saving EQ settings no longer appears to have the option of listing all my custom preset settings so I can select and hit save - I have to type in the name of my custom setting and it then populates in a drop-down.  I have the option to select all of the associated settings (Bluetooth/etc.), but that's just making things more difficult on the user.  I have a ton of saved EQ presets, so this was a much bigger deal than it sounds.

- I would sometimes select the preset first and then edit it and try to save and that preset was auto-populated in the "name" field, but again, I noticed that it didn't happen every time.

3. Sound quality was noticeably depreciated.  I have a setup in my car that is Bluetooth converter to RCA-output which goes into a two-amp setup (in/out of a RF 250W Single channel Sub Amp and into a RF 4-channel Amp).  It took some time (since I'm relying wholly on my Phone to do all the pre-amp / eq / volume), but it sounded pretty good pre-V3 update.  I noticed immediately after the update that distortion and even popping noises were really bad.  I did the increase buffer on Bluetooth and it didn't help.  I went through the Bluetooth and pre-amp settings and tried every combo I could and it still sounded like hot garbage, so this was essentially the last straw for me - had to downgrade.

- I tried clearing cache and clearing data and uninstalling / reinstalling V3 to no avail.  I get that my phone doesn't have built in Internal DAQ, but the before / after was hard to get past.

4. This one was minor, but the interface seemed to be pretty hit/miss on features working. 

- The Poweramp lock-screen would just disappear and let the Android lock-screen kick in while I was messing with it.

- The EQ would sometimes go into landscape mode when turning the phone sideways and sometimes not (it seemed like if Power Amp was opened in landscape mode, the EQ would rotate into either Landscape/portrait , but if not, it wouldn't rotate into landscape).

- Sometimes Poweramp would be unresponsive (or wouldn't allow volume changes / buttons wouldn't do anything) when it first fired up - this was super annoying when it's in the car and the music is blaring and I can't turn it down or pause it.

9 minutes ago, NotReally-In-The-East-Side said:

Just downgraded.  I'm running Android 8.0 on a Galaxy S7. 

I don't know if it's useful, but aside from the usual "I can''t find anything" issues from the new interface (which to be honest, it looks like there are a ton of nice new features), here are my issues with the new version:

1. A lot of my exported playlists were no longer seen by Poweramp (I exported them with Poweramp V2).  This was hit or miss at first.  Some were working, and then when I tried to re-scan to see the missing playlists, the working playlists suddenly showed 0 songs in them but somehow 3 of my exported playlists were fine.

- This was probably the biggest issue for me as I live/die by my playlists in Poweramp

2. Saving EQ settings no longer appears to have the option of listing all my custom preset settings so I can select and hit save - I have to type in the name of my custom setting and it then populates in a drop-down.  I have the option to select all of the associated settings (Bluetooth/etc.), but that's just making things more difficult on the user.  I have a ton of saved EQ presets, so this was a much bigger deal than it sounds.

- I would sometimes select the preset first and then edit it and try to save and that preset was auto-populated in the "name" field, but again, I noticed that it didn't happen every time.

3. Sound quality was noticeably depreciated.  I have a setup in my car that is Bluetooth converter to RCA-output which goes into a two-amp setup (in/out of a RF 250W Single channel Sub Amp and into a RF 4-channel Amp).  It took some time (since I'm relying wholly on my Phone to do all the pre-amp / eq / volume), but it sounded pretty good pre-V3 update.  I noticed immediately after the update that distortion and even popping noises were really bad.  I did the increase buffer on Bluetooth and it didn't help.  I went through the Bluetooth and pre-amp settings and tried every combo I could and it still sounded like hot garbage, so this was essentially the last straw for me - had to downgrade.

- I tried clearing cache and clearing data and uninstalling / reinstalling V3 to no avail.  I get that my phone doesn't have built in Internal DAQ, but the before / after was hard to get past.

4. This one was minor, but the interface seemed to be pretty hit/miss on features working. 

- The Poweramp lock-screen would just disappear and let the Android lock-screen kick in while I was messing with it.

- The EQ would sometimes go into landscape mode when turning the phone sideways and sometimes not (it seemed like if Power Amp was opened in landscape mode, the EQ would rotate into either Landscape/portrait , but if not, it wouldn't rotate into landscape).

- Sometimes Poweramp would be unresponsive (or wouldn't allow volume changes / buttons wouldn't do anything) when it first fired up - this was super annoying when it's in the car and the music is blaring and I can't turn it down or pause it.

Nice detail. 

Since I downgraded I've noticed alot of popping. Not enough to completely ruin playback, but it wasn't there before. 

Anyone else noticing audio distortion, especially popping? 

Archived