Preference for Album Art: can't get in-directory art selected

ToaneeM

Album Art can come from several sources, including: embedded in song file; image file in album directory; downloaded by Poweramp.

I want to use the image file (.jpg) in the album directory only. I never want art downloaded and I'd rather have no art if there's no image file with the album.

I can't get Poweramp to do this. Finding the setting to do it is very confusing. I'd expect the Settings/AlbumArt menu to offer each of the sources I've listed, as equal alternatives to each other. Unfortunately, the menu talks a lot about downloaded art and seems to offer 'image file in directory' by omission i.e. if other options aren't selected then maybe I'll do it...

Regardless of how much I've got the wrong end of the menu's stick, the menu could be much clearer. Please can the menu be modified to offer the choice of sources I listed above using a single selection.

Below are my current settings which attempt to use 'image file in directory' but instead get me 'image embedded in song file'. (I have tried clearing the art cache then doing a full rescan.)

Thanks for an otherwise-excellent music player.

Poweramp album art 2a.jpg

Poweramp album art 2b.jpg

Do you mean you want to force Poweramp to use just the selected source(s) for cover and disable others?

(The image selection logic differs for tracks, folders, albums, etc. categories, so that’s why giving full control over that can be even more complicated and confusing. But some in-app description of that logic + probably better options may be useful, unless there are upset users “Which paid just for that option” :-) ).

Thanks!

Hi Max (truly brilliant player, by the way)

Yes please, that's it: I'd like to be able to select the primary (and only) source of album art, to be used in all views of songs from that album.

I prefer control over the album art as I download 1500x1500 jpg's of album covers. Those are 2 MB or so and look beautiful but can't be buried in each MP3, obviously. I use the same library on my PC's player and it uses these high-res images to great effect.

Incidentally, please can you also add a menu option to choose the artist's album to be displayed against that artist's name. At the moment, Poweramp seems to pick its own one. Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...

@maxmp  On your reply "Do you mean you want to force Poweramp to use just the selected source(s) for cover and disable others?"...

I didn't really expect Poweramp to actually have a complicated art-source-choosing mechanism that it needed forcing away from :-) There's a lot of emphasis in the menus on automatically downloading album art, almost as if that'd be everyone's preferred route. Not so - I want to have a handle on the art files in the library and I imagine others may, too. My library's used by several players and is nice and portable.

Options to specify the source of album art seem reasonable. To be honest, they're what I'd expected to see in Poweramp, which usually excels at making the most of a decent music library.

The current menus for album art are pretty untidy. They're asking me to hint what I want Poweramp to do rather than just explicitly selecting it.

And just clarifying what the menus do will get me nowhere, I'm afraid. I have beautiful 1000x1000 and 1500x1500 album cover .JPGs in my music folders and, instead, Poweramp picks the dreadful MP3 embedded art or offers to download a dodgy picture of the band or something. It's painful... :-)

Please, please can you change Poweramp to have the following two options in the Album Art menu...

First Album Art source

Second Album Art source:

Each is a follow multi-choice option with the following possible values:

Music file art

Folder file (.jpg etc)

Downloaded art

This then makes it easy. Users can specify 'MP3 art if present, folder file if not' and so on. I can specify 'Folder art if present, MP3 art if not'.

Please do add this or something very like it. Thanks very much, Max.

• 4 months later...

Archived