Back button returns to folder and not exit the app?

cd993

Hi, 

As the title suggests, can it be possible for the back button to just return to the previous screen/folder? The scenario:

Using the hierarchy for folder structure, I'd navigate through the folders, clicking into folders and using back button to return out of them. After clicking a song, I have it set to not show the Now Playing screen, though when at this screen pressing the back button exits the app and returns me to my home screen/launcher. 

Therefore can it be an option for the back button, when used on the Now Playing screen, to function as a back button and not an "exit application" button? Currently, to return from the Now Playing screen to the folder list, I must swipe down. Would be great if the back button worked instead! 

Many thanks 

The Back button will exit the app from whatever screen you use as the entry screen (so if you have set PA to start in the Player UI, pressing Back from there will exit. If you have configured PA to start at the Library view, then pressing Back from the library screen will exit). That's fairly normal app behaviour.

Andre 

2 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

The Back button will exit the app from whatever screen you use as the entry screen (so if you have set PA to start in the Player UI, pressing Back from there will exit. If you have configured PA to start at the Library view, then pressing Back from the library screen will exit). That's fairly normal app behaviour.

Andre

Thanks Andre. 

I see this option which solves the problem, but then seems to cause another, in that Poweramp will then start up at the library screen requiring me to navigate back to my music folder whereas with that setting disabled, Poweramp starts at Now Playing. 

So I think my 2 goals here would be:

- to be able to choose where Poweramp starts up on, ideally a custom folder (my main Music folder) as currently it can only startup on Now Playing or library

- back button to work as a back button whilst navigating through folders, and then perhaps once you reach the top level of the hierarchy only then does it act as an exit button

It's really anoying that the back button will exit PA if you are on your start screen. I would low an option to decide what action the "final" back does, options could be:

• exit
  • do nothing
  • prompt for exit

Or just simply add a optional "prompt for exit".

6 hours ago, 6b6561 said:

It's really anoying that the back button will exit PA if you are on your start screen.

That's how most Android apps work (although some offer the double-press to Exit feature, mostly in cases where exiting would cause more of an issue than it does in PA, such as unsaved data loss).

Andre

• 5 months later...

@maxmp is there any chance that we could bribe you to add a possibility to disable the "exit" button within Poweramp? Default behaviour for back button would be to take you back one screen at the time and once on the start screen another back would close the app, just as it's today. Alternate would be to take you back one screen at the time until the start screen, once there it would just do nothing or ask if you want to exit the app.

Please...

Kim

There are apps that prompt you before exiting, or ask you to tap on Back twice, which might not be a bad idea. However unlike some of those apps, exiting PA is completely non-destructive and does not interrupt playback, so if you exit by accident you can just launch the interface again (or bring it up from the Recent Apps list).

What I would personally like is an option for Back to mean Back. i.e. when you press it, you always get taken back to the previous screen that you that were on. So if you move from the Player screen to the songs list, pressing Back would take you back to the Player screen where you came from, rather than taking about six taps to go back up the levels until you get to the Player screen again. Personally that seems a more logical and intuitive way for the Back button to work. Going up through the levels could be a left-swipe gesture operation, leaving right-swipe for taking you straight to the Library overview, which currently happens with both left- and right-swipes. Plus the existing Up-a-Level button at the top of the screen of course.

Andre

I know, it's just exiting the user interface, but there is something in the logic of PA that causes me to back out of it way to often, and then I have to either dig it out from recently used apps or move to the home screen where I have the widget to get into the UI again... I don't know why I keep on doing it, but it's killing me.

I must admit that I haven't earlier noted that back is not back, as I'm used to hit the mini player to get back to the main player screen. It's probably better for people like me (musik organized in a Artist/Album hierarchy and basically always using Folder Hierarchy mode) that back acts as up instead of back.

Workflow for switching to another album:

• Tap album cover to get to folder list
  • Back once or twice, depending on if I want to just switch album or artist
  • Enter new folder to be played
  • Tap the first track which starts the track and takes me back to the main screen

With this workflow it would be very irritating that back would be back as then I would just be switching between player screen and current category and would have to start using up button in the library.

We had a discussion a while ago about having "play" in the pop up context menus, in my workflow it's more intitutive to long press the folder and hit play, instead of entering it and then click on the first item to play it, now I'm used to entering the folder but I do still miss the play button.

This made me aware of the fact that people use tools in different ways, depending on how you select what to listen to, size of library, library organization etc.

Kim

Archived