edited info/tags and Downloaded album art embed to file

codenumb

• 1 year later...

I was going to request this feature but it seems somebody already did. 

I want it too, it would help reducing the amount of messages shown on Android's picture gallery while still retaining the download of missing album art feature! 

@Charmicat what messages do you mean? Poweramp uses (hidden from gallery) internal cache folder for album art. As for embedding, there are 2 problems with that: 1. legal. Using album art from internet is OK but embedding may violate some countries copyright laws. 2. technical, as if we embed images en-masse on the mobile device and Poweramp is killed by system, we'll get corrupted file (esp. if that is huge flac, ape, etc. file or file located on slow sd-card).

I have to say that I have spent uncountable hours/years managing my music file tag information and cover art. This was done on my main PC where my library is stored and backed up separately. I copy this to a uSD card for use with PA on my phone. I have no desire to have PA edit or manage this content specifically for the reasons @maxmp mentions. If this is changed, please make sure it is optional and defeatable.

G

From the technical point of view the safest option would be to write out a temporary file, and only once is has been confirmed as fully completed do you delete the original and rename the temporary file back to the original's filename.

Andre

On 5/29/2020 at 10:38 AM, MotleyG said:

I have no desire to have PA edit or manage this content specifically for the reasons @maxmp mentions. If this is changed, please make sure it is optional and defeatable.

This 100%. I don't want Poweramp touching my metadata unless given explicit permission. Using it is encouraged, modifying it is not something I ever want. So it should be optional and by default disabled if such a feature ever comes.

On 5/29/2020 at 5:50 PM, maxmp said:

@Charmicat @maxmpwhat messages do you mean? Poweramp uses (hidden from gallery) internal cache folder for album art. As for embedding, there are 2 problems with that: 1. legal. Using album art from internet is OK but embedding may violate some countries copyright laws. 2. technical, as if we embed images en-masse on the mobile device and Poweramp is killed by system, we'll get corrupted file (esp. if that is huge flac, ape, etc. file or file located on slow sd-card).

if such legal or privacy issue is there why not have a backup or export option for cached album art. So that users can restore or import them whenever they reinstall PA

• 2 years later...
On 5/29/2020 at 7:20 AM, maxmp said:

@Charmicat what messages do you mean? mp uses (hidden from gallery) internal cache folder for album art. As for embedding, there are 2 problems with that: 1. legal. Using album art from internet is OK but embedding may violate some countries copyright laws. 2. technical, as if we embed images en-masse on the mobile device and Poweramp is killed by system, we'll get corrupted file (esp. if that is huge flac, ape, etc. file or file located on slow sd-card).

1.  That's on the user, not the software.  Pretty easy disclaimers cover that.

2.  Process the file in this sequence:

a. Make checksum/hash of file.

b. Copy file.

c. Verify copy with result of step A.

d.  Modify file with memory validation.

f.  Write modified file to mass storage, overwriting original.

g.  Perform xcheck against memory validation of modified file.

h.  Delete copy.

3. I would pay  $10USD or more for this if it has a 'batch process' mode!

I doubt this would be a simple case of appending the image data to the end of an existing file, I think the file would most likely need to be recreated from scratch to include the new content within the ID3 area. That still could be done by creating a new temp file first, and only once it's complete remove the old one and rename the temp file. But a full rewrite could be prone to other issues - especially if the file contained some content that PA was never designed to cope with, which could result in a corrupted or damaged file. And a batch process would just kill any such files faster.

Personally, I would leave batch tag editing to a fully featured and developed batch tag editor, rather than trying to make a good Music Player app suddenly try to be an all-singing tag editor, file explorer, media player, music editor, or any other media apps you might care to name.

Andre