Distortion when playing music through Hi-Res Output (Experimental)

Khalil

Greetings,

I have been using Poweramp as my only mean of listening to music for almost 5 years now!

That being said, after the Poweramp v3 704, and when playing music through the Hi-Res Output (Experimental) option (at 192K), there is a massive and nasty distortion in the sound, especially while using the pre-amp. It exists even after disabling the pre-amp, and it's annoying. Note, that this distortion does NOT exist on any v3 version from 704 and lower. I can pump up the pre-amp to maximum, with 0 noticeable distortion. 

I use the Hi-Res Output since have a relatively high-quality DAC, the Topping NX4 DSD (Not the NX4 variant that doesn't have DSD). The distortion exists whether or not I use the DAC or connect the headset directly to the phone. I even tried other pairs of headsets, but the problem still persists. Clearly, it's a problem from the software side. I have been waiting for a fix for God knows how long. And I didn't want to upgrade my phone to Android Oreo (currently on Android 7.1.1), so that I can continue to use the Poweramp v3 704 version, as it works best, in terms of sound quality.

Here are a few extra details:

My phone model: Samsung Note 8 Duos (international, SM-N950F)

Android: Android 7.1.1

Hope to see a fix in the coming versions rather soon!

Best wishes, and keep up the great work

Distortion happens because you amplificate basses without enough headroom in the signal. To avoid that, reduce preamp.

Unfortunately, Samsungs @ Android 7 don’t support hi-res + DVC (but same samsungs support it on 6.0 and 8.0), so no default headroom there. Either use preamp or just normal output with DVC for high basses amplification.

First of all, thanks for your informative reply.

Well, that's interesting!

I wonder how come Samsung with Android 7.X doesn't support Hi-Res, when using the v3 704 with Hi-Res works just absolutely fine, with 0 issues??

The thing that's happening with the new builds (>704) is that on Hi-Res, the distortion exists regardless of whether or not you use the pre-amp. I realize that you said it's because Samsungs with Android 7 don't support it; but I just want to know for sure if I upgrade to Android 8, will the distortion disappear with the Hi-Res enabled (at least when pre-amp is disabled)?

Sincerely.

Archived