Memory leak?

RubberBob

As a battery-optimization nerd, I keep track of what apps run in the background, and how much RAM they use. In PA v3, I've noticed a repeatable scenario where the PA process RAM usage skyrockets.

To convey why this is a realistic issue for me, I must explain that I listen to music "freestyle", one track at a time. I think, "I'll listen to that song now," then I search for and find it. "Now that one." Search, find. Search, find.

So with this "search, find" approach to listening, I've noticed that the longer I listen, the larger the PA process becomes - consistently. With my settings, PA starts out about 45-50MB. To test and illustrate how high I could get the process, I spent about 4 minutes of intentionally "search, find"-ing. I made it over 130MB, by simply accelerating the way I do a listening session. About triple RAM usage (see screenshots)

I experience a similar climb when going in and out of PA settings to change/check things.

If I just start a list and let it play (without "search, find"), the RAM doesn't climb much, if at all.

I realize RAM usage doesn't always directly reflect battery usage... but still. Just thought I'd point it out in case this is not intentional/desired behavior for the app.

Moto E4 Plus, Android 7.1.1, PA 802 & 803

last.Poweramp-settings

(Many competing music apps start OUT at the 130MB-ish mark. PA is awesome - for music lovers, AND battery lovers.)

EDIT: Just noticed weirdly that Wear OS went BACK in time between the screenshots... The screenshots are genuine, though.

PAmem.png

500mb is very moderate usage. This is ok scenario as each album art image takes 4mb (and due to the Android architecture, this can be doubled). Now go to any category and scroll a bit)

Poweramp checks how much memory is available to process and uses percentage of this for the album art. On devices with large memory, this limit is set (by OEM) to a quite high value.

As soon as PA is not playing and is on background, it releases album art cache.

Memory usage means your battery is saved, not wasted )) As the next time image is needed, it's right there in the memory, no search / decode cycle is needed.

Archived