Equalizer Screen Spectrum doesn't match

blaubär

I fed pink noise to the player to get a uniform distribution. Then I produced some peaks in the distribution by attenuating most frequencies and enabling just one. I would have expected to see a match between the equalizer curve and the spectrum. As shown in the appended screenshots it didn't work that way.

This seems to be a design flaw. The equalizer is equally distributed per octave, that means its x-axis is logarithmic. The spectrums, generally for the visualization and especially the one used for the equalizer screen, have a linear x-axis( can be seen when playing white noise - the spectrums then show a uniform distribution, as they should ).

So these two don't fit together. 

An equalizer screen spectrum which uses equal amount of space on the x-axis per octave would be better.

Screenshot_20181022-172952_Poweramp.jpg

Screenshot_20181022-172935_Poweramp.jpg

Screenshot_20181022-172923_Poweramp.jpg

Screenshot_20181022-172902_Poweramp.jpg

Screenshot_20181022-172852_Poweramp.jpg

Visualization doesn't match equalizer bands. You have much more "bass" bars vs equalizer bands. This is mostly due to visualization focused on good music matching / visualization (so it needs better resolution in low freqs.) and equalizer being almost strictly octave based.

On 10/25/2018 at 10:51 PM, maxmp said:

Visualization doesn't match equalizer bands. You have much more "bass" bars vs equalizer bands. This is mostly due to visualization focused on good music matching / visualization (so it needs better resolution in low freqs.) and equalizer being almost strictly octave based.

Yes, thank you ! I tried an exponential and a linear sinus sweep - the visualization is neither linear nor logarithmic, it seems to concentrate on the middle ground, so to speak where most of the music plays ?

Archived