Poweramp Build 807 (Release Candidate)

maxmp

7 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Yes, use a Playlist rather than the Queue. The queue is just a brief and temporary means to exit from normal playback and listen to a few specific songs. It is transient and not intended to be used as a regular listening mode, that's what the main Library categories are for.

Andre

Transient randomized playing of a few albums, that everyone at the car or at the party likes and have chosen, on the transient and impromptu spot, is exactly what v2 allowed and this one doesn't.  Randomization of chosen on-the-spot music is an essential function.  I shouldn't have to build a playlist.  A queue is far better:  you can add from and subtract from it on the fly, without alot of steps.  I used to use it as the MAIN way I'd listen to Poweramp.  My playlists, and I have many, all originated as particularly nice queues, a few chosen albums and songs blended together,  that sounded good when randomized.  This is the best way to listen to Poweramp, at least for users like me, and now it is gone.   

I am a huge music fan, with a large collection, and many carefully chosen playlists.  I go on alot of long car trips.  If Poweramp is no longer designed for a user like me, then you are forcing me to go elsewhere.  But I have to ask:  if it isn't designed for a user like me, then who in creation is it designed for?

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, djdarko said:

A lot of us have different concerns, and while I don't really use the queue or shuffle functions myself, I can understand the troubles of those who do.

Remember that V3 is still in beta, Max (the developer) has mentioned that he is still planning some changes and modifications. The best thing to do is to list your concerns clearly, detailing what you would like fixed/changed. Max has been updating the app quite frequently, so if your suggestions are rational, give him a chance to fix it.

Adding an @maxmp will help too, because it gives him a notification that he was mentioned in the post.

Okay, I'm adding an @maxmp 

My basic concern is simple:  I should be able to load a queue with a few albums' worth of music, and play them at random by pressing the "random play" button.  This was an essential function that worked in earlier iterations of v3, and was, unaccountably, intentionally disabled.

1 hour ago, Red Balooon said:

and was, unaccountably, intentionally disabled.

It was by user request, as most people did not want their regular shuffled playback mode to also affect their occasional queued tracks.

Personally I think it would be best as an option in Settings > Library > Queue, like it was in v2.

Andre

On 11/6/2018 at 1:29 AM, Ahheykelvin said:

I have my Huawei Mate 20 Pro (Android ver 9) with Poweramp full version, build on 805.    It shows16-bit 48khz while playing with hi-res audio even though OpenSL ES Hi-Res Output and USB DAC are selected, any idea? Thanks.

Device: Huawei Mate 20 Pro

Output: USB DAC (Huawei DAC Headphone Amplifier CM21 - support up to  384kHZ /32-bit sample rate)

Screenshot_20181106_005905.jpg

Screenshot_20181106_005935.jpg

Screenshot_20181106_010117.jpg

Screenshot_20181106_010136.jpg

@maxmp  using 807 full version, still cannot have Hi-Res output using Mate20pro with USB DAC.  Will it be fixed? Thanks.  

OK more testing on the gapless issue.

I really don't think it can be SD card speed.

My phone is a Moto G5 - and it has gapless issues (thread refers to G5 Plus, but it looks like it is a common issue with G5 as well)

I have used the latest release on my music in my G5 and it doesn't play gapless.

Using my 2015 Samsung A3 - so a less powerful device, with the same card and everything is fine.

Back to the Moto. Using PA v2x  - everything is fine.

Using GMMP v2 and alpha 3 and everything is fine

Most other music players are crap - see link above.

18 hours ago, Absinthequ said:

I use Poweramp about 40 hrs a week probably since Poweramp came out and think I've used shuffle once, ever. I can see why people would want to use it but can't imagine many people use it to shuffle albums as an essential feature of the player.

I started using mp3's in 1997 and I don't think I've ever seen album shuffle on any other player on any platform until Poweramp.

But I get why you're upset it left. I'm still requesting the album artist tags get fixed something like they were in v2. But don't throw a fit. Max is obviously consistently making changes to try please everyone. Make a request and be patient. If he stops making updates then we riot. Lol

Okay, I'll try to be patient.

When you shuffle one album, it's a conceit, and almost pointless.  But throw together, say, a Beatles album, a Kinks album, a Pink Floyd album, a Stones album, some Doors, some Hendrix, maybe a Byrds album, and press "shuffle" and pretty soon it sounds like a really good '60s radio station.  IMHO, there's an art to it.  Adding and subtracting to a queue until it sounds right, once it's perfect you save a playlist, and pretty soon you have one for every mood.  Essential for me anyway.

Once my collection passed the 250 album mark, picking one album every time I want to listen to music became burdensome.  Instead, for myself I listen to established playlists, and, when I am working with a large collection of unheard music, experimental queues.  Out with other people, especially in the car with family, queues are essential, to include the music they like without making anyone crazy with too much of any one thing in particular.  

On 11/10/2018 at 4:26 AM, andrewilley said:

The queue was never intended for shuffling all albums by an artist, it is just a temporary break from normal playback to play a single or a few specific tracks. It is not a regular playback mode.

To shuffle all songs by an artist, start any song playing in Artists mode and then select the Shuffle mode as "Shuffle Songs" and each album by that artist will play with the songs in random order.

Andre

Whatever the original intention, v2 enabled a more intensive use of the queue, as more than a quick break from "normal" playback.  And I had been relying on it, and am very disappointed to see it taken out of v3.

For me, a shuffled queue was a planned listening session, to program far more music than I had time to listen to, and present it at random, just like a radio station, created on the spot.  Not a playlist, though, because it is an impromptu selection of music.

When you shuffle one album, it's a conceit, and almost pointless.  But throw together, say, a Beatles album, a Kinks album, a Pink Floyd album, a Stones album, some Doors, some Hendrix, maybe a Byrds album, and press "shuffle" and pretty soon it sounds like a really good '60s radio station.  IMHO, there's an art to it.  Adding and subtracting to a queue until it sounds right, once it's perfect you save a playlist, and pretty soon you have one for every mood.  Essential for me anyway.

Once my collection passed the 250 album mark, picking one album every time I want to listen to music became burdensome.  Instead, for myself I listen to established playlists, and, when I am working with a large collection of unheard music, experimental queues.  Out with other people, especially in the car with family, queues are essential, to include the music they like without making anyone crazy with too much of any one thing in particular.  My daughter likes country music.  Drives my wife crazy.  Wife likes reggae.  I like everything, including weird stuff that nobody else likes.  So if I program 500 songs from all categories, and hit "shuffle", everybody's music is just around the corner, and there will be peace.  And the very pleasant element of surprise, like a good radio station, that comes from something unexpected that you like.

So there's a good reason why queues should be able to be shuffled.  Try it yourself.  

2 hours ago, Red Balooon said:

And the very pleasant element of surprise, like a good radio station, that comes from something unexpected that you like. 

I use All Songs and shuffle the most, and that is what it is like for me. Rather do that than single albums or all in order. Shuffle gives a different variety. To make playlists for this, is more troublesome than actually needed for this.

I rather use my own collection, than use and pay for subscription for what my collection can do and is free.

Ha Ha, just found and how I need to shuffle all songs in an Artist! I just went to 36 Crazyfists, and just above the albums grid, it says "All Artist Songs", and I tapped on that and tapped shuffle and it does exactly as I was trying to do the whole time. I did not even notice the "All Artist Songs" before.

1 hour ago, AllCoreListener said:

Ha Ha, just found and how I need to shuffle all songs in an Artist! I just went to 36 Crazyfists, and just above the albums grid, it says "All Artist Songs", and I tapped on that and tapped shuffle and it does exactly as I was trying to do the whole time. I did not even notice the "All Artist Songs" before.

Glad you found it, but, I thought you wanted them shuffled but grouped by album??

See this is what was confusing, you kept saying:

all albums with songs different random order

Should have just said all songs by artist. This is why nobody replied with the correct answer.

10 minutes ago, daveaspec said:

does it really have any use of having a 24-bit output when the source file is at 16?

The Data are processed. They won't get better but perhaps less worse if the output device can handle the processed data directly without further rounding and dithering ?

29 minutes ago, daveaspec said:

I'm doing a little doubtful reasoning ... the generality of the flac is in 16 bit. does it really have any use of having a 24-bit output when the source file is at 16? someone clear my fog?

Sometimes it has, in my Galaxy Phone there is a function of increasing stream and according to some tests it's useful. But it depends on the device and the software.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/analyzing-samsung-uhq-upscaler-with-measurements-on-galaxy-note-8-exynos.873550/

On 11/12/2018 at 1:08 PM, andrewilley said:

Correct, that's what the option I mentioned does, it uses the file's system datestamp rather than PA's internally scanned/added date (Settings > Library > Lists > Sort by Filesystem Date/Time)

Andre

But this doesn't provide the desired result... I don't want to search every time the whole all songs playlist... As I usually forget what latest songs I have downloaded and Poweramp doesn't reads them... But in my es file explorer when I go to music section and sort it by date modified it shows all latest added songs first and then in decreasing order or whatever order but latest first and oldest in last that's what I want Poweramp to do

23 hours ago, Ahheykelvin said:

@maxmp  using 807 full version, still cannot have Hi-Res output using Mate20pro with USB DAC.  Will it be fixed? Thanks.  

Try it on the AudioTrack driver, worked for me.

OpenSL Hi Res only outputs Hi Res if you connect USB C headphone. It does not work with the adapter, for whatever reason.

14 hours ago, Noetsi said:

Build 807.  LG G7.  Wrong selection shown as playing.  Was listening to Herbie Hancock, but system said I was listening to U2.  See full screen shot.

@Noetsi Wow! I noticed the exact same issue yesterday (Build 807, Galaxy Note 9) and I was about to report it. But it seems to have fixed itself and I can't reproduce it.

6 hours ago, Kuldeep said:

But in my es file explorer when I go to music section and sort it by date modified it shows all latest added songs first and then in decreasing order or whatever order but latest first and oldest in last that's what I want Poweramp to do

That's exactly what the Recently Added library category should do (assuming you have  Sort by Filesystem Date/Time enabled).

Andre

On 11/12/2018 at 6:56 PM, eserim said:

OK more testing on the gapless issue.

I really don't think it can be SD card speed.

My phone is a Moto G5 - and it has gapless issues (thread refers to G5 Plus, but it looks like it is a common issue with G5 as well)

I have used the latest release on my music in my G5 and it doesn't play gapless.

Using my 2015 Samsung A3 - so a less powerful device, with the same card and everything is fine.

Back to the Moto. Using PA v2x  - everything is fine.

Using GMMP v2 and alpha 3 and everything is fine

Most other music players are crap - see link above.

Edit - Black Player works with gapless without an issue as well.  Adding to the the list of working software on my device.

Archived