Poweramp Build 807 (Release Candidate)

maxmp

33 minutes ago, djdarko said:

Hopefully Max will re-implement the "cut silence" feature. But, in the meantime if you have the means, I would suggest to either re-encode your favorite albums to a true gapless format (ogg, opus, flac etc.) or encode to Single File + CUE.   I speak from experience after re-encoding 1000+ albums after I realized that AAC isn't true gapless.

why isn't mp3's and aac's gapless?  I've never really paid attention to that feature.

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, hypomaniac-eric said:

why isn't mp3's and aac's gapless?  I've never really paid attention to that feature.

I'm not certain if there was a design reason, but silent padding is added to the beginning/end of the files.

Eventually a workaround was implemented into MP3 and AAC encodings using meta data which identifies the files original start/stop point ignoring the padding.

Problem is, very few players can make use of that data.

To my knowledge:

iTunes/iPod for AAC

Foobar2000 (PC Version) for MP3/AAC

5 hours ago, djdarko said:

Hopefully Max will re-implement the "cut silence" feature. But, in the meantime if you have the means, I would suggest to either re-encode your favorite albums to a true gapless format (ogg, opus, flac etc.) or encode to Single File + CUE.   I speak from experience after re-encoding 1000+ albums after I realized that AAC isn't true gapless.

I wish I chose flac back then. But where to find the time to do this. It will take ages!

5 hours ago, djdarko said:

Alas, as I did say earlier (I think) Ogg Vorbis has been my format of choice for some time, and it makes no difference.

On 10/20/2018 at 12:17 AM, maxmp said:

Build 803

A minor Bug or Feature in this and some of the previous releases : When I add an album WITH artist but WITHOUT album artist,

and I already got an album by another artist and also without album artist, and have already manually chosen an album art for the existing album,

and if by chance both albums have got the same album title, then PA will display in the artist's album list the manually chosen art from the other artist's album

and not the in all the new album's files embedded album art. Manually chosing art for new album and library rescan don't help.

5 hours ago, pauldamo said:

I really don't get what your trying to say, I don't think it's a bug and I can move the sliders.

Thing is, it's been reported by several people but (to my knowledge) never been addressed by Max. So it's hard to say if it's truly a bug or not. It doesn't seem intentional by design though.

There was also a problem a while back where the controls didn't show, I think that was fixed though:

Screenshot_20180831-143009.thumb.png.377ea4f675d1085785aeac7137840230.png

2 hours ago, eserim said:

Alas, as I did say earlier (I think) Ogg Vorbis has been my format of choice for some time, and it makes no difference.

Oh dang, the OGG files won't play gapless? I'll test some different formats here and see which if any play correctly.

18 minutes ago, djdarko said:

Thing is, it's been reported by several people but (to my knowledge) never been addressed by Max. So it's hard to say if it's truly a bug or not. It doesn't seem intentional by design though.

There was also a problem a while back where the controls didn't show, I think that was fixed though:

Screenshot_20180831-143009.thumb.png.377ea4f675d1085785aeac7137840230.png

I just naturally change the background to be darker to stop the glare, and so there was more contrast for the controls to be seen easier ,i just didn't take it as being a bug, because max gave us sliders to change the background to our liking, but who knows you may be right.

1 hour ago, djdarko said:

Oh dang, the OGG files won't play gapless? I'll test some different formats here and see which if any play correctly.

Sorry, I couldn't recall what formats I had tested, so checked again this morning and found a nice Live LP (Black Sabbath Live Evil) so lots of noise between tracks, and it was ogg and with gaps. 

It all depends on my chances of playing MY music in MY car with MY family - if I think I have a chance then it has to be MP3 as we've an old iPod in there.  Otherwise I go ogg vorbis.

32 minutes ago, eserim said:

Sorry, I couldn't recall what formats I had tested, so checked again this morning and found a nice Live LP (Black Sabbath Live Evil) so lots of noise between tracks, and it was ogg and with gaps. 

It all depends on my chances of playing MY music in MY car with MY family - if I think I have a chance then it has to be MP3 as we've an old iPod in there.  Otherwise I go ogg vorbis.

Out of curiosity does the iPod play mp3s gapless?

3 minutes ago, djdarko said:

Out of curiosity does the iPod play mp3s gapless?

These days, yes, no problem, the very early models had issues, but I had a Nano that was fine and our old touch is Ok - I think - I rarely use it and memory is fading with age but I doubt if I'd swapped my old Rio Karma* for the Nano if it didn't work.

*out of curiosity I just looked at eBay for Rio Karmas and found one that was described as "Vintage Retro" now I am feeling old

In hierarchy in any folder when using the random option it goes to a random category and plays the songs randomply and then goes to another category and so on.

But what if we want to play categories randomly and songs in order?

Or all songs random? 

This option needs more suboptions.

14 hours ago, hypomaniac-eric said:

They are not gapless because they're not bit-to-bit precise, but in fact if you split the single flac file properly and then convert it to any lossy format, the gapless effect will be present. I have my songs on the phone converted mainly to AAC and the gapless in the overwhelming majority is nice and slick. But maybe it depends on the albums, though. Also there is HTOA files which are not often read but I saw them only in the beginning of the albums

5 hours ago, eserim said:

I just did a test between file formats, here is what I found:

Note: Album ripped to separate tracks.

OGG: Plays gapless only after first play
OPUS: Plays gapless
AAC: Plays gapless
MP3: Plays gapless
FLAC: Plays gapless

I would actually say that the playback of these files is far better in V3 than it ever was in V2. I switched to single track+CUE due to being too picky for the "gapless" playback of my AAC files in V2. I'm going to test later with one of the albums that I found very problematic though, and I'll report back again.

@maxmp On a side note, strange that the OPUS files have a drastically different waveform preview, possibly related to their 48khz standard, so there is definitely some kind of error with that:

Screenshot_2018-10-31-10-49-56.thumb.png.fd96286e64e60dea01f6cd89f5fe7f40.pngScreenshot_2018-10-31-10-42-06.thumb.png.f9cbeac47ccffd3a937164f47359d3d0.png

6 hours ago, eserim said:

These days, yes, no problem, the very early models had issues, but I had a Nano that was fine and our old touch is Ok - I think - I rarely use it and memory is fading with age but I doubt if I'd swapped my old Rio Karma* for the Nano if it didn't work.

*out of curiosity I just looked at eBay for Rio Karmas and found one that was described as "Vintage Retro" now I am feeling old

Good stuff! I gave my girl a Rio karma while I was using a iRiver iHp140 running Rockbox. Now those where DAP's! They did an excellent job including playing mp3 gapless.

Archived