Poweramp Build 807 (Release Candidate)

maxmp

2 hours ago, maxmp said:

The shuffling category matches the category you're playing your track from. If you initially selected some track via Albums - that will be (all) albums, if you selected via e.g. Artists => some artists => Albums, that will be that artist albums.

Thank you ! Then two things are clear :

1. It should be easily possible to shuffle through all albums of an artist:

Library -> Artist -> choose the artist -> choose one album -> start playing -> set shuffle to "Shuffle Categories"

2. This doesn't work, at least not on my Samsung S7 with Build 807 - it switches to other artist's albums

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, maxmp said:

The shuffling category matches the category you're playing your track from. If you initially selected some track via Albums - that will be (all) albums, if you selected via e.g. Artists => some artists => Albums, that will be that artist albums.

Okay, and another thought : in the case of Artists => some artists => Albums the category is artist album, then "Shuffle Categories" should mean which of the following ?

- shuffle INSIDE the category, so switch to another album of the SAME artist

But If we take the plural in "Shuffle Categories" in its literal meaning :

- shuffle ANOTHER category, so switch to an album of ANOTHER artist

The latter option seems to be the one currently implemented - was it also the one intended ?

If not, the text would better changed to "Shuffle in Category" and the bug fixed.

I don't understand why you would strip the ability to shuffle queues.  This is an essential function, and I would like it back.

Is there a workaround, other than finding another music player?  On a trip or at an event, I want to be able, on the fly, to program a mix of albums, and when the wife or the kid or a friend wants to add an album to the mix, to add it without anyone's music playing to a conclusion before anyone else's.

I used to be able to do this with ease.  It makes no logical sense whatsoever to take this function away.  Why?

Along the same lines, GoneMad Music Player is pretty good.  Not as good as Poweramp used to be (and can be again if you stop making dumb changes), but good enough to make me consider leaving for good.

The courtesy of a response is requested.

3 hours ago, Red Balooon said:

I don't understand why you would strip the ability to shuffle queues.  This is an essential function, and I would like it back.

Is there a workaround, other than finding another music player?  On a trip or at an event, I want to be able, on the fly, to program a mix of albums, and when the wife or the kid or a friend wants to add an album to the mix, to add it without anyone's music playing to a conclusion before anyone else's.

I used to be able to do this with ease.  It makes no logical sense whatsoever to take this function away.  Why?

Along the same lines, GoneMad Music Player is pretty good.  Not as good as Poweramp used to be (and can be again if you stop making dumb changes), but good enough to make me consider leaving for good.

The courtesy of a response is requested.

Hmmm. Essential? To you maybe. I use PA all the time and haver never even felt the need to create any sort of 'queue' at all. So, horses for courses!

As for the last two parts of your reply I highlighted, well, fairly self-explanatory I think!

1 hour ago, dvhttn said:

Hmmm. Essential? To you maybe. I use PA all the time and haver never even felt the need to create any sort of 'queue' at all. So, horses for courses!

As for the last two parts of your reply I highlighted, well, fairly self-explanatory I think!

Same here.

Also, he name drops GoneMad claiming it's better than V3 (lol), then asks for courtesy. I just shake my head at some of the comments here.

17 minutes ago, djdarko said:

Same here.

Also, he name drops GoneMad claiming it's better than V3 (lol), then asks for courtesy. I just shake my head at some of the comments here.

I looked up Gone Mad and it looks like a glorified google music app for $3.99 and there's no eq in the screenshots so who knows how good it is.  I"m not spending that much on another player again.   I've already bought most the big name players.  ;)   The only thing i need now is patience waiting on the best player "Poweramp" to be finished.   

7 minutes ago, hypomaniac-eric said:

I looked up Gone Mad and it looks like a glorified google music app for $3.99 and there's no eq in the screenshots so who knows how good it is.  I"m not spending that much on another player again.   I've already bought most the big name players.  ;)   The only thing i need now is patience waiting on the best player "Poweramp" to be finished.   

I bought it back when it was on sale for .99 cents, it's an OK player, it's one of few players that supports cue files, but it doesn't compare to Poweramp.

2 hours ago, djdarko said:

I bought it back when it was on sale for .99 cents, it's an OK player, it's one of few players that supports cue files, but it doesn't compare to Poweramp.

No, nothing compares to Poweramp, which is why it's so disappointing when essential functions, to me (and the others who have posted on this issue) get taken away.  The fact that some people don't use a basic function like playing a list at random, doesn't mean that it should be taken away from the large number of people who have  come to rely on it.  Yes, when something essential is taken away from those of us who like Poweramp, and paid for it, it would be just basic courtesy to give an explanation.  Ad hominem attacks on me don't really respond to the issue.  Taken to its ultimate conclusion, Poweramp will just wind up losing customers to inferior players which, though not as good overall, serve the essential functions that we are just trying to express here.

15 minutes ago, Red Balooon said:

No, nothing compares to Poweramp, which is why it's so disappointing when essential functions, to me (and the others who have posted on this issue) get taken away.  The fact that some people don't use a basic function like playing a list at random, doesn't mean that it should be taken away from the large number of people who have  come to rely on it.  Yes, when something essential is taken away from those of us who like Poweramp, and paid for it, it would be just basic courtesy to give an explanation.  Ad hominem attacks on me don't really respond to the issue.  Taken to its ultimate conclusion, Poweramp will just wind up losing customers to inferior players which, though not as good overall, serve the essential functions that we are just trying to express here.

A lot of us have different concerns, and while I don't really use the queue or shuffle functions myself, I can understand the troubles of those who do.

Remember that V3 is still in beta, Max (the developer) has mentioned that he is still planning some changes and modifications. The best thing to do is to list your concerns clearly, detailing what you would like fixed/changed. Max has been updating the app quite frequently, so if your suggestions are rational, give him a chance to fix it.

Adding an @maxmp will help too, because it gives him a notification that he was mentioned in the post.

I use Poweramp about 40 hrs a week probably since Poweramp came out and think I've used shuffle once, ever. I can see why people would want to use it but can't imagine many people use it to shuffle albums as an essential feature of the player.

I started using mp3's in 1997 and I don't think I've ever seen album shuffle on any other player on any platform until Poweramp.

But I get why you're upset it left. I'm still requesting the album artist tags get fixed something like they were in v2. But don't throw a fit. Max is obviously consistently making changes to try please everyone. Make a request and be patient. If he stops making updates then we riot. Lol

On the shuffle issue... What if you go in through Folder Hierarchy? My music is set up in the folder hierarchy of "Album Artist/Albums". Let's say I go to Jackson Browne and just hit the shuffle button. Will it shuffle all the Jackson Browne albums?

21 hours ago, Kuldeep said:

it only takes date added as reference which gets reset every time you clear data the Poweramp or reinstall it but the date modified is a file based thing that stays within the file which would help detect recently added files acurately every time

Correct, that's what the option I mentioned does, it uses the file's system datestamp rather than PA's internally scanned/added date (Settings > Library > Lists > Sort by Filesystem Date/Time)

Andre

16 hours ago, Red Balooon said:

Is there a workaround, other than finding another music player?

Yes, use a Playlist rather than the Queue. The queue is just a brief and temporary means to exit from normal playback and listen to a few specific songs. It is transient and not intended to be used as a regular listening mode, that's what the main Library categories are for.

Andre

9 hours ago, w3wilkes said:

On the shuffle issue... What if you go in through Folder Hierarchy? My music is set up in the folder hierarchy of "Album Artist/Albums". Let's say I go to Jackson Browne and just hit the shuffle button. Will it shuffle all the Jackson Browne albums?

I just tried it. Skippped manually to get a fast result, but that shouldn't make a difference. It shuffled two or three subfolders/albums inside the folder/artist, than switched to another folder/artist. Which in a way is exactly what "Shuffle Categories" implies if you understand it literally. The category is folder/artist, as Max explained, and this gets shuffled. What some users would rather like to have is a shuffle of subfolder/album INSIDE the category folder/artist. The category itself should stay and not change. One could call this "Shuffle Lists" or "Shuffle in Category".

Archived