Option to Ignore Album Arist Tag in Album library view

007flawless

Please I would love an option to Ignore Album Arist Tag completely when sorting the library via Albums. Some songs on the same compilation album have different Album Artist tag names, and this causes the songs to be split into multiple entries in the Album library view

In the screenshot, the Album in view is a U.K singles chart compilation, but because of some songs having specific Album Artist tag entries, it causes a split. Would love to be able to ignore this Tag and just have all the tracks, from the same Album, under the same Album name. 

PhotoGridLite_1536927931534-1.jpg.b2de7abbcc350f284cb9fdd91d50e009.jpg

I may have missed something in the OP but why do different tracks on the same album have different 'album artist' tags? If the album is a single artist, say XTC, then the album artist tag is 'XTC'. A compilation album with all tracks from different artists will have an album artist tag such as 'Various Artists'. This doesn't change the fact that the 'artist' tag for each track will be different, just that the 'album artist' tag is the same. 

What have I missed as it seems you're using the album artist tag incorrectly?

I could be wrong  but I don't think there is an option to sort by Album Artist in Album view. Only Artist. There is a setting in Lists  called Join Albums which stops separate albums being show for different artists in the Album view. Only down side is the entire album is listed under one of the artists on the compilation. It would be nice if there was an option to list by Album Artist so that compilations could be listed under "Various Artists".

42 minutes ago, Stonedowner said:

I could be wrong  but I don't think there is an option to sort by Album Artist in Album view. Only Artist. There is a setting in Lists  called Join Albums which stops separate albums being show for different artists in the Album view. Only down side is the entire album is listed under one of the artists on the compilation. It would be nice if there was an option to list by Album Artist so that compilations could be listed under "Various Artists".

Please where can I find this option? This is exactly what I want.. An option to list the entire album under one artist in the Album view

5 hours ago, dvhttn said:

I may have missed something in the OP but why do different tracks on the same album have different 'album artist' tags? If the album is a single artist, say XTC, then the album artist tag is 'XTC'. A compilation album with all tracks from different artists will have an album artist tag such as 'Various Artists'. This doesn't change the fact that the 'artist' tag for each track will be different, just that the 'album artist' tag is the same. 

What have I missed as it seems you're using the album artist tag incorrectly?

I didn't make the tags.. Its a compilation album, and as such would appreciate if the Album-Artist tag in the mp3 files could be completely ignored and all songs under the Album be shown in just One Album entry

18 hours ago, 007flawless said:

I didn't make the tags.. Its a compilation album, and as such would appreciate if the Album-Artist tag in the mp3 files could be completely ignored and all songs under the Album be shown in just One Album entry

You need to use some form of 'tag scanner', such as mp3tag on your pc, to write the mp3 tags as you want them. In this case you need to write the correct ones to your compilation album mp3 files as they are obviously incorrect. I see no reason for max to add an option just so your incorrectly tagged mp3 files display correctly. Of course, such an option may be a nice to have for other reasons.

Do a search in the forums, and via Google on the wider web, for 'mp3 tag' or similar. Plenty of hits will pop up.

1 hour ago, dvhttn said:

You need to use some form of 'tag scanner', such as mp3tag on your pc, to write the mp3 tags as you want them. In this case you need to write the correct ones to your compilation album mp3 files as they are obviously incorrect. I see no reason for max to add an option just so your incorrectly tagged mp3 files display correctly. Of course, such an option may be a nice to have for other reasons.

Do a search in the forums, and via Google on the wider web, for 'mp3 tag' or similar. Plenty of hits will pop up.

I know what a tag editor is.. I just want a feature that is present in Poweramp V2_588 already to be implemented in the new V3.. You are not Max, so please if you don't have a solution to my request, kindly ignore this thread and walk away.. God Bless ?

I was going through the changelogs and discovered EXACTLY what changed from V2 to V3. I see Album Artist tag support was added in V3 and this is exactly what I wish we could optionally disable. 

In the screenshot below, I circled it. I wish to have an option to go back to the old Album Sorting method in V3 where Album Artist tag was Ignored. 

Thanks in Advance ?

2018-09-22 11.36.27.jpg

@Stonedowner Thank you for taking the time to answer my request. Yes I have tried that option before and it works if the songs have Various Artists as the Album-Artist tag.. Unfortunately most of my compilation albums don't.. Instead individual artists names are listed on the Album-Artist tag and this causes a separation/splitting of the albums

I know these things take time to implement but I believe if an option to Ignore or Disable grouping of Albums based on the Album-Artist tag is enabled, it would take things back to how I was used to in V2

Thanks you for your time ??

17 hours ago, 007flawless said:

Instead individual artists names are listed on the Album-Artist tag and this causes a separation/splitting of the albums

Unfortunately in this case it does seem that it is your files that are incorrectly tagged, which is not really Poweramp's fault. The whole point of the Album Artist tag is that it identifies the whole album to allow it to be filed correctly, not the artist for an individual track (that's what the Artist tag is for).

Processing the Album Artist tag was a very much requested feature, but the downside is that if your files are mis-tagged they can't be grouped correctly in PA.

So rather than insulting the genuine help offered by previous poster @dvhttn , it might be an idea to follow his advice and use a batch tag editor to correct your ID3 tags and see if that solves your problem.

Andre

Archived